Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:01:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU computing  (Read 1851 times)
x2x2x (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 09:57:26 PM

Hi,

dunno is it ok to ask here... but got some bruteforce stuff to be done which needs the power of GPU. Got few hashes to check and of course willing to pay (I assume that the most correct will be in bitcoins). Time for one job depends as always from luck from first try to 2d 10h in worst case scenario (for 2xHD5970). Windows 7 x64 is must have, HD6xxx not supported, nVidia really don't get to good with this jobs.

If I ask in wrong section or sth please correct me.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2011, 10:33:20 PM

is it a search against a well-known hash algorithm?  if so, others may have a preferred way of finding it and you may get more offers.  Many of us are likely to be security conscious and would not like to run apps we didn't pick ourselves.

Second if it is something standard (like sha1 etc) maybe you just post the hash, and if someone can find it with rainbow tables or on their own maybe they make you an offer.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
randomguy7

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 10:40:39 PM

Do you want to get these sim lock unlock codes generated? If you're using this freeware tool (sorry, I forgot about the name right now), could you post some instructions about how to use it to calc the unlock codes?
x2x2x (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 10:51:27 PM

@casascius

Maybe you're right. Thing is a little complicated... it's SHA1 $salt.$hash (but in this particullar case only one software I know could do this - ighashgpu). Software is pretty trustable and last times pretty known... http://www.golubev.com/hashgpu.htm and to be specific in this version http://golubev.com/files/ighashgpu_v0.80.16.1.zip there is a lot of hashes and the time is the only thing that matter. I'm ready to pay (with paypal and exchange $ to BTC fees and) 8euro/calculation (understand that this could be significant to some people).

@randomguy7

Yes, you're 100% correct Nokia SL3 simlock codes. Instruction is pretty basic you need service hardware to read hash (that's my part), and then software and pretty good PC to do BF job. Of course will give exact command line what I want to be done Smiley I'm just not excited to build GPU cluster for few weeks.
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 12:07:17 AM

I wish I could offer my 5970 but it's occupied. I'll be getting a 6990 soon, maybe two, so if the program is upgraded to support them then I could help.

Or I have a 5870 - what price are you willing to pay for this? I'd ask 55 btc to do it with my 5870, which is 10 btc more than the expected generation over the time it should take to find the hash.
twobitcoins

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 01:09:23 AM

I just finished developing an SL3 hasher, so I could use a case to test it on.

To compensate for not being able to use my GPUs for bitcoin generation, I will need to charge 20 BTC per SL3 code.  That is about 16 USD or 11-12 EUR, which is more than the 8 EUR you mentioned.

How many codes do you need to calculate?  If you agree to pay for several at 20 BTC, I will calculate the first one for free as a test of my services.  I would expect payment in advance for the others.
x2x2x (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 01:21:52 AM

@TheKid
Sorry but with single 5870 it is above 8 days and that's far too long for me.

@twobitcoins
Sent you PM

Still hopeing to find some more persons with free GPUs.
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 01:29:47 AM

Still hopeing to find some more persons with free GPUs.

In the bitcoin forum? really? Smiley
x2x2x (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 01:36:20 AM

Can't find any other place where GPU and $ are going together. Seen few posts that mining didn't exactly cover in some cases electricity bill for few next days, I know not everything is about money but in some cases could be better alternative than switch off so get this idea... and here we are Smiley
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 01:43:21 AM

Can't find any other place where GPU and $ are going together. Seen few posts that mining didn't exactly cover in some cases electricity bill for few next days, I know not everything is about money but in some cases could be better alternative than switch off so get this idea... and here we are Smiley

Your logic is appealing, but at this moment wrong. You mention that a 5870 takes over 8 days to cover your needs for a single calculation, so you are not interested. You want 5970's which atm are the most efficient miner GPUs, so when people start turning off these cards you can rest assure the next difficulty step will make everyone go back to mining.

But mining is a gamble, and you offer a somewhat more certain means of profit from the GPUs we all own and love, so I guess there will be people interested. Best of luck!
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 02:48:19 AM

I have 8 5970's and am mildly considering doing this just for the novelty of having done so.

I have 3 mining machines that have 3, 3, and 2 5970's respectively.

I'd probably only peel off one mining machine, so I only have to put Windows on one hard drive.  I just put LogMeIn on or something, and you just remote control the whole machine(s), rent the machine by the day, download and install whatever you want, and you have 100% assurance that you're getting what you pay for.  Since I would reformat when you're done, I'd be mostly unconcerned what you install on it.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
bitjet

Activity: 696
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 04:45:35 AM

I have 8 5970's and am mildly considering doing this just for the novelty of having done so.

I have 3 mining machines that have 3, 3, and 2 5970's respectively.

I'd probably only peel off one mining machine, so I only have to put Windows on one hard drive.  I just put LogMeIn on or something, and you just remote control the whole machine(s), rent the machine by the day, download and install whatever you want, and you have 100% assurance that you're getting what you pay for.  Since I would reformat when you're done, I'd be mostly unconcerned what you install on it.

cool idea.

PS teamviewer is really good for remote control app. I just moved my 2x5970  miner to the basement (so much noise) no keyboard/mouse/monitor, just a dummy vga plug  and Teamviewer. I can even use my android phone to remote it. Very sweet.

Also windows 7 doesnt want to see all 4 cores unless you have crossfire bridge on and crossfire enabled. Sad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: