Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:46:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of Starting A Review Site  (Read 275 times)
Newchanka (OP)

Activity: 291
Merit: 19

If there's something to be written...

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 10:30:41 PM

Any ideas how profitable a review site can be? I've been writing for news sites and review sites for the past year and now dream of starting a review project. Ideas are welcomed.

Just Think it, I'll Write it
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
metall140s

Activity: 238
Merit: 14

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 12:51:09 AM

It depends on the ICO you will be working with.
BTCforJoe

Activity: 882
Merit: 976

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2018, 01:03:36 AM
Merited by Vod (2)

If you're looking to make money with a review site, there are only a few ways you can do so, theoretically speaking.

First, by advertising on your site. When you're new, you won't be able to charge advertisers a lot of money upfront to advertise banners on your site, so you'll have to find an ad network that will allow your new site to host banners. Google isn't very crypto-friendly, so you can pretty much forget about that option. There are many crypto ad networks, but the best ones require you to have meet a certain Alexa rank/threshold to become approved on their network. The other ones that will allow your site? Chances are that they won't pay you, or that you'll make very little profit.

After you build up your viewership (and trust) and page rank, you can hit some of the bigger crypto ad networks. But unless you're brining in big numbers, you'll only end up making a few bucks of profit a month.

The next way you can earn is by becoming a reputable review site that advertisers want to be featured on. For example, if you're reviewing web hosts, one of them might just throw some cash your way to be featured at the top of the page that hosts your reviews for all the different sites out there. Unfortunately, companies won't offer you this kind of deal unless you can prove that you're getting good traffic on that page/your website.

The third way is by creating your OWN ads for sites and services that offer a commission... In essence, you'll be using your referral link for other sites and hosting ads on your own. Again, you'll only end up making a few bucks a month from this, UNLESS you can refer a high volume of users. Sites that offer commissions and referrals? Faucets and PTC (Paid To Click)/GPT (Get Paid To) sites. In my prime, I was making a few thousand dollars a month from about 4,000 referrals from these types of sites. Pennies do add up when you have an army of thousands earning them for you. Stay away from ponzis.

If you're a great writer and understand basic marketing, you can come a long way with a review site, but you're going to HAVE to prove your authority, as well as put a lot of time and effort into it before you'll start to see returns and profit.

Are you skilled in web development, front end development, and backend development? You're going to have to build a team to run your site, unless you have the knowledge to run your own. A good start would be to use WordPress as a CMS and buy plugins that let you run review scripts, as well as user management.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 07:19:14 AM

Any ideas how profitable a review site can be? I've been writing for news sites and review sites for the past year and now dream of starting a review project. Ideas are welcomed.
Depends on your content and traffic obviously. That niche have started to get saturated with tons of review sites by the bounty whores. ICO-Bench I think stands out and is quite famous. They go beyond the review concept and offer other features like 10% bonus or airdrop stuff. If you are a good write, just keep doing the freelance writing jobs as you wouldn’t have the skills to make a review site that would stand out. If you are ready to invest in hiring developers then it’s completeky a different thing.
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 3596

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2018, 08:35:06 AM

For your site to be profitable, you must have an attract audiences, and to reach those audiences, you must achieve credibility and neutrality.

- Do a thorough search of all the authors and try to make a unique writing method, follow the sources of news and verify the authenticity of what you post, know how to detect scam sites and other things.
  - Do not make your primary concern is profit as much as sharing knowledge.
  - Share your posts here after a period, introduce yourself to newspapers and blogs, after gaining sufficient experience, create your site.

Your rating will earn you more profits than ads where many will pay to write about their projects.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
KingScorpio

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2018, 12:23:40 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2018, 08:32:28 PM by KingScorpio

i am afraid utlimately a huge army of burocrats will win instead of billions of micro review communities they will form a huge review agency like S&P similar like they already did before.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2018, 12:57:20 PM

You could probably demand 0.1 BTC per review if you were popular and respected enough.

It's a thin line though - if you start allowing scams in just for the review fee, you would lose credibility quickly.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
metall140s

Activity: 238
Merit: 14

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 01:32:47 PM

You could probably demand 0.1 BTC per review if you were popular and respected enough.

It's a thin line though - if you start allowing scams in just for the review fee, you would lose credibility quickly.

I do not think a good project will pay 0,1 btc per review.
orions.belt19

Activity: 686
Merit: 146

View Profile
August 05, 2018, 02:57:02 PM

I do not think a good project will pay 0,1 btc per review.

How much will developers pay for a review then? I think that 0.1 BTC is a fair price, especially if the reviewer is reputable. Having a good review will give a project good publicity so the price should just be right. It’s possible that a good review will attract more investors for the project so it acts a good advertisement as well. It’s also not an easy job to write and build a good reputation.
Newchanka (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 06:31:17 PM

I've covered news for sites and written about scam ICOs and I have an inkling some vital angles that are missing in reportage and why scams like Benebit succeeded. However, i think I'm going to need a professional looking site.. Do you think a premium wordpress theme will deliver on such project, or do i need to hire a developer?

actueal

Activity: 42
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 06, 2018, 06:50:27 PM

Any ideas how profitable a review site can be?

I am sorry to point out that you have failed in the very first step you have taken.  The purpose of an ICO review site ought to be honest presentation of facts; which is undermined by the pursuit of profitability.  Several ICO review sites that started well degenerated into paid shills all because of their worship at the altar of profitability.

Forget about profits; just try to keep a clean slate.  Eventually, You will be well rewarded for your honest endeavours.

Hope this chord has struck home.  We need honest players in Cryptocurrency.
Newchanka (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2018, 07:14:04 PM

Any ideas how profitable a review site can be?

I am sorry to point out that you have failed in the very first step you have taken.  The purpose of an ICO review site ought to be honest presentation of facts; which is undermined by the pursuit of profitability.  Several ICO review sites that started well degenerated into paid shills all because of their worship at the altar of profitability.

Forget about profits; just try to keep a clean slate.  Eventually, You will be well rewarded for your honest endeavours.

Hope this chord has struck home.  We need honest players in Cryptocurrency.

I agree with you. There is no doubt that the ecosystem needs objective reviews that make real difference for investors.

Patatas
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2018, 11:07:48 PM

I agree with you. There is no doubt that the ecosystem needs objective reviews that make real difference for investors.
The only way to objectively verify/review a project is to contact their CEO and let him share his plans for the coin. I know they are busy people but giving 5 minutes out of their busy schedules to give investors an overview of their project wouldn't be impossible. That way, your website directly gets first-hand opinion from the CEO and if the CEO is ready to give such talk, there is some sort of confidence in the investors about the project's team.
KingScorpio

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2018, 11:16:15 PM

The only way to objectively verify/review a project is to contact their CEO and let him share his plans for the coin. I know they are busy people but giving 5 minutes out of their busy schedules to give investors an overview of their project wouldn't be impossible. That way, your website directly gets first-hand opinion from the CEO and if the CEO is ready to give such talk, there is some sort of confidence in the investors about the project's team.

well they usually run a website, like i do, and improve them to explain their message better. problem is it gets burocratic and messy to a certain degree so the ceo will have to hire public relation ship staff etc.

nevertheless we need good icos, we need good economic mangement, pow has a destructive nature and will ultimately cause a lot of poverty.

regards

Patatas
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2018, 11:28:19 PM

well they usually run a website, like i do, and improve them to explain their message better. problem is it gets burocratic and messy to a certain degree so the ceo will have to hire public relation ship staff etc.
You don't deserve to be a CEO if you need a public relations staff to speak 100 words about your project. I mean if the CEO's of Google and Microsoft can do it, why not the ICO CEO's?

nevertheless we need good icos, we need good economic mangement, pow has a destructive nature and will ultimately cause a lot of poverty.
I know nothing about the latter part but I agree with you we do need a better ICO structure.
BTCforJoe

Activity: 882
Merit: 976

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2018, 03:01:29 AM

You don't deserve to be a CEO if you need a public relations staff to speak 100 words about your project. I mean if the CEO's of Google and Microsoft can do it, why not the ICO CEO's?

All the big companies that I have worked for had huge PR and marketing departments. While the CEO needs to be quick on his feet, it's not his responsibility to come up with the narrative for the company; he has much bigger fish to fry. This is why there are case studies and focus groups: the PR department takes this information and puts together some form of narrative for the CEO to relay when he is speaking publicly about the company. I can guarantee that the CEO of Google and Microsoft do not write their own speeches or presentations. Just sayin'

KingScorpio

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2018, 03:06:53 AM

I know nothing about the latter part but I agree with you we do need a better ICO structure.

CEOs are diverse people many dont want to be very public about their work and prefer to be secretive.
keeping the entire public relation on their website. sometimes it has also secretive reasons as they might not operate ina safe region, like in the usa.

Patatas
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 10:52:51 AM

CEOs are diverse people many dont want to be very public about their work and prefer to be secretive.
keeping the entire public relation on their website. sometimes it has also secretive reasons as they might not operate ina safe region, like in the usa.
Can they always submit an interview anonymously? Can't they? Speaking honestly, if they can link their LinkedIn accounts on the team page, I'm pretty sure they don't care about being secretive.

All the big companies that I have worked for had huge PR and marketing departments. While the CEO needs to be quick on his feet, it's not his responsibility to come up with the narrative for the company; he has much bigger fish to fry. This is why there are case studies and focus groups: the PR department takes this information and puts together some form of narrative for the CEO to relay when he is speaking publicly about the company. I can guarantee that the CEO of Google and Microsoft do not write their own speeches or presentations. Just sayin'
They don't write their own speeches but they DO come on the stage and spit it out. That shows they are concerned. Anyway would you prefer a CEO that cares to spit out the speech or a CEO that hides?
genuin

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 02:45:10 PM

A plan that may be currently less attractive to netizens. But in the long run your desired plan will get a very positive response. For that you can start from now
Newchanka (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2018, 01:04:07 AM

A plan that may be currently less attractive to netizens. But in the long run your desired plan will get a very positive response. For that you can start from now
Thank you all. I'm already working on the foundation of the site. Maybe I'll make updates here as things get along.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: