Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:18:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ASK] question About Bitcoin  (Read 491 times)
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2019, 01:23:46 PM
Merited by Farul (1)

Well from my experiments running a full node, i noticed tremendous disk i/o activity during syncing, and significant even when up to date, for that very reason i wouldn't recommend it on non spinning magnetic media (ie. flash based storage) as it would quickly reduce its lifetime. Yes, specially for you raspi users, but a smartphone counts as well. Yes i know better flash devices last longer, do you really think your device has one of those latest generation quality flash storage? Even picking the good ones is difficult in m.2 or ssd factor, who even knows what your phone manufacturer used. And, regardless, it is a fact that each write reduces the lifetime of a flash storage device, you want to minimize to writes or use another type of media.

Better CPU and more RAM i guess is simply a matter of speed. With my slow 2ish mbps link that didn't made much difference anyway.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Farul

Activity: 270
Merit: 309

Shinji bgt gwh

View Profile
March 31, 2019, 01:14:15 PM

Well from my experiments running a full node, i noticed tremendous disk i/o activity during syncing, and significant even when up to date, for that very reason i wouldn't recommend it on non spinning magnetic media (ie. flash based storage) as it would quickly reduce its lifetime. Yes, specially for you raspi users, but a smartphone counts as well. Yes i know better flash devices last longer, do you really think your device has one of those latest generation quality flash storage? Even picking the good ones is difficult in m.2 or ssd factor, who even knows what your phone manufacturer used. And, regardless, it is a fact that each write reduces the lifetime of a flash storage device, you want to minimize to writes or use another type of media.

Better CPU and more RAM i guess is simply a matter of speed. With my slow 2ish mbps link that didn't made much difference anyway.
The Life Expectancy Of A SSD Is Based On Write Cycle
Most Of Bitcoin Node Operation Is Reading(When Verifying Block), Not Writing, Therefore Node Activity Wouldn't Significantly Affect Your Storage Lifetime
However, If You Running A Node With Low RAM(Smartphone/Raspberry Pi/Potato PC), Write Cycle Will Increase, Therefore Shortening Your Strorage Lifetime.
Plenty Of Smartphone Today Have 6-8 GB RAM
Quote from: Pieter Wuille
With low dbcache, the UTXO set is continuously rewritten on disk, at a much faster rate in general than blocks.

The larger you make the dbcache, the fewer disk writes are needed.

#RAMMatters

Smartphone Will Be A Viable Device For Running Node In The Future

"I mustn't run away, I mustn't run away." - Shinji Ikari
🤖 Wannabe CTF Player 🌌
👼🚀
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2019, 05:19:43 PM

The Life Expectancy Of A SSD Is Based On Write Cycle
Most Of Bitcoin Node Operation Is Reading(When Verifying Block), Not Writing, Therefore Node Activity Wouldn't Significantly Affect Your Storage Lifetime
However, If You Running A Node With Low RAM(Smartphone/Raspberry Pi/Potato PC), Write Cycle Will Increase, Therefore Shortening Your Strorage Lifetime.
Plenty Of Smartphone Today Have 6-8 GB RAM
Quote from: Pieter Wuille
With low dbcache, the UTXO set is continuously rewritten on disk, at a much faster rate in general than blocks.

The larger you make the dbcache, the fewer disk writes are needed.

#RAMMatters

Smartphone Will Be A Viable Device For Running Node In The Future

Perhaps when the node is in sync, but not while crawling the blockchain, and specially with prune. My HD activity wasn't trivial during the months it took my full indexed node to sync. Of course if you do that in ram (say, using a ram disk) it would lower most of the impact.

Given the specs of current smartphones (going beyond raspis) i have no doubt they can do it. On mine i used 4gb for dbcache (it has 8gb ram).

I'm not saying its not possible, just that you may end lowering your SSD lifetime prematurely by not paying attention, just like letting a swap file there when you default install an os into a SSD without paying attention.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print