Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:48:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: You may see the language in the posts I make as limited. [Update Inside]  (Read 2126 times)
Anonymous

October 14, 2011, 07:46:37 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2011, 04:17:07 AM by Immanuel Go

Over the days to come, the posts I make will take on a more simple nature in terms of words. The language I use will not use more than 2,600 words, narrowed within a kind of English called Basic English: BE 1500. To keep stable mind, I will only limit myself to its words and not its inner workings, which are made to only please people of international origin; who use English as a second language.

I hope this will please individuals that did not like the form I used before.

For reference, this post was made in Basic English.

Update: Yeah, this is getting old. I just wanted to share this discovery with you guys. I'll just use this discovery towards more readable English.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rarity

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 08:43:39 PM

And no anti-gay slurs.

"Money is like manure: Spread around, it helps things grow. Piled up in one place, it just stinks."
bitlover

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 09:07:38 PM

Nice! It's great to see that you took the advice that many people offered you. Taking your first baby steps into being able to properly communicate with other people (in written or any other form) is always good and there is nothing wrong with using simple language, specially for people that weren't able to use or understand more complicated words properly. BTW, the other day I saw part of one of your videos and I would suggest that you write more like you speak, it is much more natural. Of course, that probably is not the best idea for something like a peer-reviewed or the like, but this is an Internet forum so relax.
bosschair

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 09:11:36 PM

It's pretty funny that even when you're trying to simplify your language to an absurd degree to make some kind of point, you still can't write anything natural-sounding.

Over the days to come, the posts I make will take on a more simple nature in terms of words.
Starting now, I plan to write more simply.

The language I use will not use more than 2,600 words, narrowed within a kind of English called Basic English: BE 1500
I will restrict myself to an English subset called Basic English which uses less than 2,600 words.

To keep stable mind, I will only limit myself to its words and not its inner workings, which are made to only please people of international origin; who use English as a second language.
I only intend to use Basic English as a guideline for limiting my vocabulary, not defining my sentence structure.

I hope this will address some complaints about my writing.

For reference, this post was made in Basic English
bosschair

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 09:46:08 PM

The third sentence has some detail left out, simply because the details seemed like nonsense and I had no way of stating them that wasn't equally nonsensical.  All the others carry the same meaning.
bosschair

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 09:53:32 PM

I can go the other way too:

The third sentence has some detail left out, simply because the details seemed like nonsense and I had no way of stating them that wasn't equally nonsensical.
A measure of detail was necessarily removed from the third translation, however, this was done primarily for reasons of extraneousness of information contained therein.

All the others carry the same meaning.
Each other sample is written in a manner which conveys the same meaning as the exemplar vis a vis semantical purposes.
bosschair

View Profile
October 14, 2011, 10:17:20 PM

I have not written like that.

Dude, that shit is spartan compared to some of the things you've written.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2011, 11:39:11 PM

Over the days to come, the posts I make will take on a more simple nature in terms of words. The language I use will not use more than 2,600 words, narrowed within a kind of English called Basic English: BE 1500. To keep stable mind, I will only limit myself to its words and not its inner workings, which are made to only please people of international origin; who use English as a second language.

I think you'll find the task more cumbersome than it's worth, albeit admirable. I wish I could write constantly in E-Prime (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Prime), but also find that too cumbersome at times.

Now the bad news. By formally stately that you're taking this new route, now offers ammunition to those who muck you in the future the next time(s) you use a word not on List2600.

Ideally, I think it may have been best to start using your language of choice without the announcement. Perhaps members may have noticed and gave you more respect. The only trap you would have had to avoid if that time came is stating publicly the exact reason--BE 1500. The proper reply would have been Thank You.

It would be like if I started a new thread stating from now on I will only write in E-Prime. The first time thereafter I used the word "is" I'm fucked.

My advice--quit setting yourself up, my friend.

Sincerely, Bruno

PS: I enjoy reading your post most of the time. They won't be the same if you constrict yourself to only 2600 words. English is a beautiful language. Fuck is a beautiful word when used properly. You'll need a lot of those words outside List2600 to fully express yourself.

PSS: I just realized that the first PS was uncalled for and could have easily been part of the main body of this post, thereby not needing this PSS. I need to PM Theymos to suggest a PS and PSS edit/delete option/radio button.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 02:05:46 AM

To be honest, I've often wondered whether English was your first language because your syntax is very unusual for a native English speaker.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 02:16:29 AM

To be honest, I've often wondered whether English was your first language because your syntax is very unusual for a native English speaker.

+1.  His vocabulary is rather extensive but his syntax is somehow... wrong.

(BFL)^2 < 0
JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 02:46:29 AM

Can you make all your posts in a size 16 monospaced font, preferably one with good kerning that can properly antialias.

Also, if you could find some way to ensure they are all utf-8.en_US encoded, that would help me tons too. Thanks.
repentance

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 03:01:31 AM

Can you make all your posts in a size 16 monospaced font, preferably one with good kerning that can properly antialias.

Also, if you could find some way to ensure they are all utf-8.en_US encoded, that would help me tons too. Thanks.

I'm a bit horrified to find that I understood your post.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
JeffK

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 03:10:15 AM

That means it's time to go outside and talk to someone. The computer will be there when you get back
repentance

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 03:12:44 AM

That means it's time to go outside and talk to someone. The computer will be there when you get back

Nah.  The project I just finished involved producing complex documents.  In another few weeks I won't even remember what half of that stuff means and next time I have to do something similar I'll have to look it up in my reference materials.

RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 04:21:44 AM

Update: Yeah, this is getting old. I just wanted to share this discovery with you guys. I'll just use this discovery towards more readable English.

Another project you're not following through on, huh?
JeffK

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 04:28:29 AM

It's cool and all, but maybe you should just start using simpler words until you can properly use the more complex ones in the correct context
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2011, 06:00:51 AM

Why limit your vocabulary/knowledge to their level, instead of forcing them to learn new words?
rainingbitcoins

Activity: 728
Merit: 252

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 06:04:40 AM

Why limit your vocabulary/knowledge to their level, instead of forcing them to learn new words?

I'm sure none of the words Atlas uses are new to SA posters, but his assumed definitions of them certainly are.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 06:04:59 AM

Don't encourage him. He could write like an article from Nature Cell Biology and he would still be an ignorant little fuck.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2011, 06:36:54 AM

Don't encourage him. He could write like an article from Nature Cell Biology and he would still be an ignorant little fuck.

A well spoken ignorant little fuck is still a well spoken ignorant little fuck. Better than southern drawl country bump in ignorant little fuck. Besides, practice makes perfect.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: