Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:36:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: somebody please just set the minimum price - it's so easy  (Read 6059 times)
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 07:49:15 PM

21 million coins at .01 = 210,000 not 2.1M

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
alan2here

Activity: 1778
Merit: 504

WorkAsPro

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 09:12:12 PM

I think Jacque Fresco's idea of a resource based economy could work really well as a way of doing things without money, but it would require just that, a big rethink. Simply phasing out money would never work, unless though progress of technoligy we effectivly get to something like the resource based economy without having to redesign anything.

████     ████     ████              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████    █████▄    ███               ████▀▀▀▀███▄
 ███▄   ██▀███   ████   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ████    ▀███
 ▀███  ▄██  ██   ███                ████    ▄███
  ███  ██▀  ███ ▄███    ▄▄▄▄▄▄      ███████████▀
  ▀██▄ ██   ▀██ ███     ██████      ████
   ██████    ██████    ███  ███     ████
   ▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ▀▀▀▀
                      ███    ███
                     ████████████
                    ▄███      ███▄
                    ████      ████
....WorkAsPro...
First 
Crypto-powered
Freelance Service
....NO KYC...
0% Commission
....Fiverr Alternative...
Blockchain Voting System
    ▄█▀█▄
    █▄ ▄█
     ▀▀▀
▄▄  ▄███▄         █
██ ███ ██        █▀
██ ███ ██       ▄█
██ ███ ▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀
██ ▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 █▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
  ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀█
▄█▀       ▀█▄ ▀█
▀▀         ▀▀  ▀▀
....Join us now...
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
October 15, 2011, 09:56:21 PM

I think Jacque Fresco's idea of a resource based economy could work really well as a way of doing things without money, but it would require just that, a big rethink. Simply phasing out money would never work, unless though progress of technoligy we effectivly get to something like the resource based economy without having to redesign anything.

I suggest to read Hayek's "The Road to Serfdom". You'll understand that a planned economy will inevitably slide down a slippery slope into totalitarianism. Do you think Pol Pot and Mao started out with the intention to become the most terrible mass murders in human history? Not at all.

It's shocking to see how the economic insecurity of recent times makes people demanding planners. Even on this forum. Bitcoin is all about freedom, is it not?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
zer0

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 12:03:32 AM

Start a new block chain and say it's backed by gold. C-Gold and Pecunix started out with tiny investments and grew from there. Somewhat more stable pricing, at least no pump and dumps straight to $1
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 12:14:28 AM

Start a new block chain and say it's backed by gold. C-Gold and Pecunix started out with tiny investments and grew from there. Somewhat more stable pricing, at least no pump and dumps straight to $1

An individual exchange or e-wallet could back its holdings with gold but you couldn't back an entire blockchain with gold without creating a central authority to issue the digital currency and purchase and hold the gold reserves.  Because new coins are created on a set schedule, they'd need to buy gold equivalent to the value of those new coins each day.  That requires some serious capital reserves.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 01:37:14 AM
Last edit: October 16, 2011, 02:02:16 AM by DeathAndTaxes

I'm not sure how a "legal-binding obligation" can be formalized, but if a company with considerable reputation and market value simply publishes such a statement, it's already a big deal. I'm sure there are better and more "binding" ways to do it though.

More importantly WHY THE FRAK would anyone do it?  To be nice?  Because they believe in rainbows and unicorns which shit skittles?

Most millionaires didn't become millionaires by waking up and saying "Hey I know what I am going to do today.  Take on $2.1M in risk with not only no gain no gain but no potential gain".
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 01:49:01 AM

Can somebody just promise to back the price up?
Say, somebody with a real name (or a real company)
could issue a legally binding obligation to buy BTC

Why would ANYONE want to do this?
What have they got to gain from buying coins from people that could be essentially worthless? Apart from that they have to buy them because they promised everyone they would?

In an ideal world, this would be nice. But in the real world, this will never happen. But hey, if you want to sell me all your bitcoins right now for $0.10 each i'll gladly accept =D

So, what's to stop your USD or GBP or any other currency from turning completely worthless with the current rampant inflation? People still massively trust those, even though their *actual worth* is falling every day.
anu
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 04:40:24 AM

I'm not sure how a "legal-binding obligation" can be formalized, but if a company with considerable reputation and market value simply publishes such a statement, it's already a big deal. I'm sure there are better and more "binding" ways to do it though.

More importantly WHY THE FRAK would anyone do it?  To be nice?  Because they believe in rainbows and unicorns which shit skittles?

Most millionaires didn't become millionaires by waking up and saying "Hey I know what I am going to do today.  Take on $2.1M in risk with not only no gain no gain but no potential gain".

No gain? Not even potential gain? I was actually wondering not if, but when something along these lines would happen. As a Billionaire, you do a small investment:

1. Slowly buy up substantial parts of the bitcoins ( a million or so).
2. Announce big Bitcoin plans to the world.
3. Watch the rally
4. Profit

▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.GET WHITELISTED.
astana

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 12:15:42 PM

I think someone big will get into the marker, somehow they have to lift the cap of 21mil coins, even if it can't be done. 21mil is not enough, 100mil is though.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 12:20:55 PM

I think someone big will get into the marker, somehow they have to lift the cap of 21mil coins, even if it can't be done. 21mil is not enough, 100mil is though.

Why is 100 mil enough?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
norulezapply

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 02:17:24 PM

21million is only not enough if you treat coins with the same divisibility as conventional money (0.01 being the lowest value).

There's 8 decimal places with bitcoins. 0.00000001 is the lowest value. This is why we don't need any more coins. If you think about it this way, there are 21,000,000,000,000 "coins", if you use their full divisibility and treat them in the same fashion as most conventional currencies (e.g. 0.01 x 100 = 1 "coin")
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 04:01:19 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2011, 04:14:01 PM by acoindr

21 million coins at .01 = 210,000 not 2.1M

i didn't see anyone mention 0.01, only 0.1.

You're right. The OP has .1$ which is a sort of weird format, which when I glanced at registered as somebody guaranteeing Bitcoins for 1 penny.

I'm not sure why the choice of 10 cents then. As long as Bitcoins can't go to zero that concern is alleviated.
WiseOldOwl

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2011, 05:04:40 PM

I suggest to read Hayek's "The Road to Serfdom". You'll understand that a planned economy will inevitably slide down a slippery slope into totalitarianism. Do you think Pol Pot and Mao started out with the intention to become the most terrible mass murders in human history? Not at all.

It's shocking to see how the economic insecurity of recent times makes people demanding planners. Even on this forum. Bitcoin is all about freedom, is it not?

+1
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 10:29:30 PM

21million is only not enough if you treat coins with the same divisibility as conventional money (0.01 being the lowest value).

There's 8 decimal places with bitcoins. 0.00000001 is the lowest value. This is why we don't need any more coins. If you think about it this way, there are 21,000,000,000,000 "coins", if you use their full divisibility and treat them in the same fashion as most conventional currencies (e.g. 0.01 x 100 = 1 "coin")

There is no reason that at some point we can't add a few more decimal places, if needed. The client would need to be modified and people would have to agree with the change. I think most would as it won't reduce the value of their holdings as trebling the available coins would. QED

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 10:38:24 PM

+1
Austrian Economic theory is pop pseudoscience. Fresco doesn't even propose an economic theory. Folks take this stuff too seriously. Money is imaginary, that's what I love about bitcoin. It's so imaginary, that even economists can't imagine it! Technology is what makes progress, not money. If economics was science, then you wouldn't get so many opposing theories. Its not like anyone can reject the theory of gravity and float away.

anu
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 09:34:48 AM

Austrian Economic theory is pop pseudoscience. Fresco doesn't even propose an economic theory. Folks take this stuff too seriously. Money is imaginary, that's what I love about bitcoin. It's so imaginary, that even economists can't imagine it! Technology is what makes progress, not money. If economics was science, then you wouldn't get so many opposing theories. Its not like anyone can reject the theory of gravity and float away.

Oh Sir Popper, please enlighten him.

▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.GET WHITELISTED.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 12:45:38 PM

+1

+1
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 12:50:16 PM

I will buy all bitcoins at 0.000047619. Also I have big plans with them  Tongue
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2011, 02:53:23 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2011, 04:06:43 AM by phillipsjk

With bitcoin, it is possible for a central bank or cartel of central banks to control the bitcoin money supply. The important thing to understand is that stored bitcoins are indistinguishable from lost bitcoins. Bitcoins only really have value when they are spent. This means that the Central Banks can buy bitcoin when they want to raise the price, and sell bitcoin when they want to lower the price. Through this process, they are able to control the rate of deflation up until they run out of coins to sell (run-away deflation).

Decentralized Central Banking Proposal

The OP was interested in a floor price. It is possible for a group of people to cooperate and share the risk of setting a "soft" floor price. Buy strategy shamelessly stolen from a post I saw months ago. Let's say each participant agrees to invest $10 USD for each "soft" floor. Using your favorite exchange, the buy orders would look something like this:
  • Buy 100 BTC at $0.1 USD/BTC
  • Buy 200 BTC at $0.05 USD/BTC
  • Buy 400 BTC at $0.025 USD/BTC
  • Buy 800 BTC at $0.0125 USD/BTC
  • Buy 1600 BTC at $0.0625 USD/BTC
  • Buy 3200 BTC at $0.03125 USD/BTC
The above buy walls each cost $10 USD for a total of $60 USD. Two people cooperating in this manner don't even need to agree on a specific floor price to share the risk. For example, somebody can invest $10 in a Buy for 142.86 BTC at $0.07 USD/BTC. The above buy walls would absorb a sell of up to 242.86 BTC while keeping the price above $0.05.

Where it gets interesting is when you start trying to use these unwanted bitcoins to try to control the rate of deflation. Anybody with a significant amount of bitcoins can use the same strategy to set a sell wall going in the opposite direction. For the purposes of discussion, let's say we want to limit the rate of deflation to 1000%/year (during the initial growth period). Without checking, I am going to pretend I found the weighted average price from a year ago was $0.30 USD/BTC. 11 times that corresponds to $3.3 USD/BTC (which until recently was below the average price). If you wanted to sell up to 127BTC, you could set up the following sell walls:
  • Sell 1 BTC at $3.3 USD/BTC
  • Sell 2 BTC at $6.6 USD/BTC
  • Sell 4 BTC at $13.2 USD/BTC
  • Sell 8 BTC at $26.4 USD/BTC
  • Sell 16 BTC at $56.8 USD/BTC
  • Sell 32 BTC at $105.6 USD/BTC
  • Sell 64 BTC at $211.2 USD/BTC
The sell walls should probably be re-evaluated/replenished daily. As before, several individuals can share the risk of setting a ceiling, even if they disagree what exactly the ceiling should be. For example, somebody who thinks deflation should be 10,000%/year may set their ceiling to $30.3 USD/BTC.

Edit: Central banks actually use Interest rates control economic growth.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
d.james

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 03:44:45 PM

I will buy all bitcoins at 0.000047619. Also I have big plans with them  Tongue

it's easier to just make your own chain then you can keep all of it.

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: