Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:26:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $3.20 is the new $3.68  (Read 5519 times)
grod (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 02:39:47 AM

Nah.  I kissed the money goodbye already.  I started in in the $16 range (on the way down) so my losses are way more significant than I could hope to recoup by winning a few coins here and there.  At this point it's a long term (and long odds) bet that over time the blockchain will end up having some value, and if so, I will have gotten a chunk of it before it while it is lawful to do so.

This makes no sense.  Dumping and buying lower can absolutely dig you out of that hole.  Don't do the entire position at once, of course.  If you kissed the money goodbye this could be your opportunity to learn to trade on the cheap.  At the very least it might give you the instincts to avoid doing the same in the future, with amounts of money that matter.

If you buy at 16, sell at 3 and buy back in at 1 you'll have 3x as many coins playing the long odds.  I'm not saying that WILL happen, but why not trade a portion of your position?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 03:02:48 AM

Nah.  I kissed the money goodbye already.  I started in in the $16 range (on the way down) so my losses are way more significant than I could hope to recoup by winning a few coins here and there.  At this point it's a long term (and long odds) bet that over time the blockchain will end up having some value, and if so, I will have gotten a chunk of it before it while it is lawful to do so.

This makes no sense.  Dumping and buying lower can absolutely dig you out of that hole.  Don't do the entire position at once, of course.  If you kissed the money goodbye this could be your opportunity to learn to trade on the cheap.  At the very least it might give you the instincts to avoid doing the same in the future, with amounts of money that matter.

If you buy at 16, sell at 3 and buy back in at 1 you'll have 3x as many coins playing the long odds.  I'm not saying that WILL happen, but why not trade a portion of your position?

I am no trader.  I am quite certain that I would lose my ass so fast that it wouldn't be funny if I got into trading, and it would irk me to be paying the commissions to boot.  I don't particularly want to learn to trade even if it were possible that I could (unless I got into trying to program trading bots for the fun and challenge of it.)  I've had generally good luck and a lot less stress just buying something I think is undervalued and sitting on it, but by nature I tend to look at least several years out.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 03:22:23 AM

I am no trader.  I am quite certain that I would lose my ass so fast that it wouldn't be funny if I got into trading, and it would irk me to be paying the commissions to boot.  I don't particularly want to learn to trade even if it were possible that I could (unless I got into trying to program trading bots for the fun and challenge of it.)  I've had generally good luck and a lot less stress just buying something I think is undervalued and sitting on it, but by nature I tend to look at least several years out.

Well, programming trading bots is very fun, so you could do that.  Also why wouldn't you care about your investment into bitcoin?  I'd try to protect it if it were a big one.  You won't lose too much of your ass if you are careful with stop losses.

(BFL)^2 < 0
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 03:57:25 AM

Well, programming trading bots is very fun, so you could do that.  Also why wouldn't you care about your investment into bitcoin?  I'd try to protect it if it were a big one.  You won't lose too much of your ass if you are careful with stop losses.

Actually I was just looking into FPGA mining with an eye toward protecting my investment, and it seems like an interesting science worth knowing something about one way or another.  My instinct had been to hold off to see what popped up in the ASIC realm, but the deterioration of the markets must have slowed any progress in that direction considerably.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 05:06:00 AM

Massive dump of bitcoins to $3.12 and a weak rebound to $3.20.  Is this it?  Are early adopters who didn't sell off months ago, now in sell off mode?  No recently announced hacks, no bad news, so it seems someone with a lot of bitcoins is exiting the market.
grod (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 05:10:08 AM

Not early adopterS, early adopter.  Only one can cash out, the others must hold the bag until the recovery many months later.  One teen with 50k coins can take us to parity with the dollar.  Oh, and rebuild his position on coins afterward, too.

Oh, closure of the #3? #4? btc exchange counts as bad news.  They couldn't function on tiny $/day volume.

Cluster2k
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 05:24:23 AM

Not early adopterS, early adopter.  Only one can cash out, the others must hold the bag until the recovery many months later.  One teen with 50k coins can take us to parity with the dollar.  Oh, and rebuild his position on coins afterward, too.

Oh, closure of the #3? #4? btc exchange counts as bad news.  They couldn't function on tiny $/day volume.

MtGox has 90% of the market anyway, with TradeHill making up most of the rest.  I don't really see an exchange with maybe 1% market share closing as being particularly bad news.

The last acknowledged exchange hack was several weeks ago of a minor exchange.  A few thousand bitcoins at most. 

If MtGox has financial problems then we can stick a fork into bitcoin and declare it done.  Without MtGox people would have extreme difficulty in converting their bitcoins into cash (and vice versa), and the price would collapse to cents per bitcoin overnight.
neofutur

Activity: 146

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 05:45:03 AM
Last edit: October 17, 2011, 07:23:49 AM by neofutur

Massive dump of bitcoins to $3.12 and a weak rebound to $3.20.  Is this it?  Are early adopters who didn't sell off months ago, now in sell off mode?  No recently announced hacks, no bad news, so it seems someone with a lot of bitcoins is exiting the market.

no bad news . . . more or less . . .

just today exchb announced they are closing , exchb was one of the 3 most important exchanges and one of the most trusted . . . not exactly a good news . . . add to this all the FUD posted on this forum against mtgox . . .
grod (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 06:15:42 AM

Title changed to remain relevant.

Cluster2k
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 09:03:49 AM

Time to change the title again  Shocked
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 09:11:17 AM

Time to change the title again  Shocked

Tradehill actually broke the $3.00 barrier briefly.  I went ahead and filled my 'round number' quota just so I didn't have to worry about it and could do my deep storage work.  Time will tell if I'm happy that I kept some powder dry this weekend or no I guess.  Anyway, bed time.

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 09:20:23 AM

I'm convinced that the widespread adoption of that strategy is a large part of why the price has collapsed and will continue to do so.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 09:43:26 AM

Can i safely assume we are in the 'paradigm shift' phase of the bubble disillusion graph?

Here's a new paradigm for the comming time.
BC < BC
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 10:32:39 AM

Can i safely assume we are in the 'paradigm shift' phase of the bubble disillusion graph?

For those not familiar with it:

We're currently at Capitulation.  I speculate wildly that Despair starts somewhere under $0.50, but anyone who calls a bottom with any kind of authority at this stage will likely eat their words.

($3.80 / $3.20 / $whatever) is the new ($whatever)

Heh, I've heard that one all the way down, but usually it lasts at least a few days.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 10:36:40 AM

For those not familiar with it:

We're currently at Capitulation.  I speculate wildly that Despair starts somewhere under $0.50, but anyone who calls a bottom with any kind of authority at this stage will likely eat their words.

Damn, i missed Fear.
Now waiting for Despair.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 10:40:13 AM

2.78 atm.
Revalin

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 10:48:28 AM

Damn, i missed Fear.

Damn, I missed the knife.  Smiley

... but there will always be another.

Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
dark_silverstar

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 11:14:45 AM

going down to 2.34  Tongue
Revalin

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 11:32:05 AM

LOL that was so two hours ago.  Smiley

BubbleBoy

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 12:01:07 PM

going down to 2.34  Tongue

I can spot a 2.36 in the MtGox log. Meet you at 50c Smiley

{"date":1318845188,"price":"2.36002","amount":"0.07","price_int":"236002","amount_int":"7000000",
"tid":"1318845188497759","price_currency":"USD","item":"BTC","trade_type":"ask"},

████
              ▄▄████▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
     ▄████▀▀            ▀▀████▄
   ▄████▀                  ▀████▄
  ▐███▀                      ▀███▌
 ▐███▀   ████▄  ████  ▄████   ▀███▌
 ████    █████▄ ████ ▄█████    ████
▐███▌    ██████▄████▄██████    ▐███▌
████     ██████████████████     ████
████     ████ ████████ ████     ████
████     ████  ██████  ████     ████
▐███▌    ████   ████   ████    ▐███▌
 ████    ████   ████   ████    ████
 ▐███▄   ████   ████   ████   ▄███▌
  ▐███▄                      ▄███▌
   ▀████▄                  ▄████▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀████▀▀
                ████
MIDEX
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ GET TOKENS ▂▂▂▂
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
BLOCKCHAIN BASED FINANCIAL PLATFORM                                # WEB ANN + Bounty <
with Licensed Exchange approved by Swiss Bankers and Lawyers           > Telegram Facebook Twitter Blog #
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: