Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:05:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinQT - Connections drop to 8 after a day  (Read 586 times)
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 05:28:00 PM

I found an old thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=255572.0 but nothing that aids me in it.

I am running Ubuntu Linux 13.10 and under NAT port forwarding I have port 8333 on the LAN forwarded to 8333 "Public Port". I set a static IP using the MAC address in my router. When I check to see that port is forwarded using http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/, it actually says it isn't open but I've heard that can happen. Just checked again and it is actually open, when I set it up initially it never was.

Anyway, it starts making connections and I've seen it go to 46 or so. Then when I check the next day, without fail, it is back to 8.

Under BitcoinQT "Network" - UPnP is checked (default) and not the box below. I haven't touched any settings.

Is there something else I need to do with port forwarding on my router?

Any ideas here? I really want to support the network and have the computer mining 24X7 anyway, so it is perfect as it is always on.

I am not a sysadmin (ex IT guy though) and am a bit wet behind the ears these days. If you have suggestions, please try to put them in noob terms (names of tools, links, etc). Much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sydboy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 05:32:11 PM

What is the advantage of having more than 8 connections ?

Do you download a lot of torrents constantly ? On some smaller not so good routers, torrents an applications that create crazy amounts of connections can fill up the NAT table on the router.
Are you using a router with CLI access or GUI access to see NAT table ?

I am not to familiar with how Bitcoin client works exactly, but is it possible it is also dropping the peers because it doesn't need them ?
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 06:01:39 PM

What is the advantage of having more than 8 connections ?

Do you download a lot of torrents constantly ? On some smaller not so good routers, torrents an applications that create crazy amounts of connections can fill up the NAT table on the router.
Are you using a router with CLI access or GUI access to see NAT table ?

I am not to familiar with how Bitcoin client works exactly, but is it possible it is also dropping the peers because it doesn't need them ?

Somebody can explain the full node better than me, but to help the network you need to be above 8 connections or you are hurting it. I've seen Gavin say that here.

I am no downloading torrents at all.

I don't believe it drops them because it doesn't need them. I haven't ever seen that mentioned.
Thx

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 12:10:27 AM

The last post of that thread in the first post will probably be the most helpful.

Start Bitcoin, and google for "what is my IP address" and write it down.
24 hours later when Bitcoin has eight connections, google for "what is my IP address" and compare.

Likely you have crappy DSL using PPPoE that is forcing a new IP on you regularly.
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:31:48 AM

The last post of that thread in the first post will probably be the most helpful.

Start Bitcoin, and google for "what is my IP address" and write it down.
24 hours later when Bitcoin has eight connections, google for "what is my IP address" and compare.

Likely you have crappy DSL using PPPoE that is forcing a new IP on you regularly.

Thanks deepceleron,

I did as you suggested (wrote the IP down last night) and you were right!
Thanks for the suggestion. I will call the DSL company and see if we can get a static IP address.
If not, I'm already unhappy with the connection, just terrible, I'll get cable in summer when this contract expires.
Man, are the ISP's lowering everyone's bandwidth or what?

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: