Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 3209 times)
substratum

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 01:04:25 AM

Although not entirely convinced are the hardware wallets really the safest way of storing bitcoins. They may be resistant to hackers/trojans etc, but you entirely rely on physical device which can be lost/stolen/destroyed (unless I'm missing something here).

As I understand it, the Trezor will let you write down the seed for the keys when they are generated, in case the wallet is lost/stolen/destroyed. A thief shouldn't be able to brute-force the PIN on the device for some time, giving the original owner time to regenerate the keys elsewhere and move the funds.
substratum

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 01:06:10 AM

Also shameless self advertising http://www.hardwarewallet.com - available soon, after some lengthy redesigning process, target price around 10€

I don't see a display; how does the user verify the transaction details haven't been modified by malware before signing the transaction?
btchip

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 01:11:01 AM

Also shameless self advertising http://www.hardwarewallet.com - available soon, after some lengthy redesigning process, target price around 10€

I don't see a display; how does the user verify the transaction details haven't been modified by malware before signing the transaction?

You submit the transaction to the dongle, then remove it, then insert it again into the same computer and a different application (f.e. Windows login screen) / another device supporting HID keyboards, depending how much you fear being compromised, the dongle types (as a keyboard) a summary of the transaction and a unique PIN code, finally you plug it back into the original computer (or just remove it / plug it back again) then type this PIN code to validate the transaction.

and it's easier than it sounds  Smiley

substratum

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 01:22:55 AM

You submit the transaction to the dongle, then remove it, then insert it again into the same computer and a different application (f.e. Windows login screen) / another device supporting HID keyboards, depending how much you fear being compromised, the dongle types (as a keyboard) a summary of the transaction and a unique PIN code, finally you plug it back into the original computer (or just remove it / plug it back again) then type this PIN code to validate the transaction.

and it's easier than it sounds  Smiley

Ah, clever. I'll buy one when they are available. Seems like you could use a modified version of this to verify transactions/account changes on an exchange or mining pool.
btchip

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 01:27:46 AM

Ah, clever. I'll buy one when they are available. Seems like you could use a modified version of this to verify transactions/account changes on an exchange or mining pool.

thanks. there's already some minimal server API available (specification at http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/btchip/btchip-python/blob/master/doc/bitcoin-technical.html) but all suggestions are welcomed for the next version, or the current one if they are small / easy enough to implement.

Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469
Merit: 250

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 01:58:42 AM

Still waiting for Trezor

FlappySocks

Activity: 546

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:24:29 AM

I'm looking forward to these.  There is defiantly a place in the market for something like this, and judging by the technical spec, a lot of thought has gone into it.  I can see myself using a bunch of these for cold storage, and then getting something with a screen & NFC for regular use.

Hope they don't melt too easily, for use in a fire safe. Smiley
btchip

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 11:31:58 PM

I'm looking forward to these.  There is defiantly a place in the market for something like this, and judging by the technical spec, a lot of thought has gone into it.  I can see myself using a bunch of these for cold storage, and then getting something with a screen & NFC for regular use.

Hope they don't melt too easily, for use in a fire safe. Smiley

Thanks, yes, I think that there's definitely some market share to grab for cheap & secure products Smiley

NFC will very likely be available in a future version as we upgrade our generic card platform, and regarding fire resistance, you only care about the chip which should follow ISO 7816-1 guidelines (so basically fine up to 70 degrees celsius for limited periods of time)

Also, a video that shows how the second factor works in a sample KryptoKit integration is available at http://www.hardwarewallet.com/video.html (webm, so Chrome recommended)

FlappySocks

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 11:44:20 PM

Oh nice, it works with KryptoKit.

Got a launch date yet?
btchip

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 11:50:56 PM

Oh nice, it works with KryptoKit.
Got a launch date yet?

Yes, that was easy, but more intended as a proof of concept & quick hack than a final product until their licensing is clear Grin

Launch date, well, soon now. Not in two weeks (c) but probably in a few weeks.

ZeroBarrier

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 11:59:12 PM

Interesting. I wonder if a BlackBerry phone (BB10) would work just as well. Encrypt the phone, Password protect the phone and password protect the app. Some of the BB10 phones are also equipped with NFC making for a Google Wallet type of experience using Bitcoins if a proper app is made.

I currently have a Q10 and think it would be killer if I could carry my Bitcoins around on my encrypted BlackBerry phone.
FlappySocks

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 12:06:02 AM

Any smartphone with NFC will do.  The idea of a hardware wallet, is that you don't need to trust the hardware it connects to any more.

I think that's the general direction we are heading in, with all computing.  Expect to hear a lot about U2F later this year.
mysidia

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 12:13:16 AM

I wonder if it's possible to use the verification scripting language to avoid the need for a specialized Hardware wallet.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transactions#Verification

I imagine "spending"  into a dedicated holding wallet  to secure my coins -- with a transaction that has a custom verification script for collecting the inputs of the transaction.

In addition to the normal signing restriction, the script would need to make sure that "Holding" wallet  would ONLY be allowed to spend EXCLUSIVELY to a designated  Bitcoin address.

The designated address would be my "spending" wallet,  normally kept empty or loaded with a small amount for ordinary transactions.

For example...   I would have a web server somewhere with access to the private keys of the holding wallet,  that I can login to,  and a  more traditional two-factor auth method would be required ---  it may have lots of coins on it,  but the verification script   will  allow   it to spend the coins to my   Cell phone's Bitcoin address and no other Bitcoin address.

I could have paper copies of both keys,  AND  never  put the two private keys on the same device.

BTC: 1FbuJxZCeJUqrP7EpUkgMKWAmAA1M8gUBd
LTC: LbvomgbwKnqk47mWzALCDEoV8ydjxYYYpF
nessesthelle

Activity: 49

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:54:53 PM

Don't you feel like having some kind of a cryptowallet combined with a password manager and U2f? Am I the only one who is tired of all this hustle with many devices for different security needs?
Aneelal

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 04:00:44 PM

Not paying attention to where you send the btc.
not backing up your shit
backing up your shit and storing the backup improperly (or in the open or near flames)
not secure enough pin
not keeping your btc secret
пocтoяннaя ccылкaembedcoxpaнитьнaчaльный
cuckoo000

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 04:03:42 PM

I want to buy Hardware Wallets
Giric

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 04:13:08 PM

not backing up your shit
backing up your shit and storing the backup improperly (or in the open or near flames)
not secure enough pin

Not keeping your seed secret (hint split 2 copies of the seed into 3rds and store 2 different 3rds in each of 3 locations)
Stianyd

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 04:13:39 PM

not backing up your shit
not secure enough pin

Not keeping your seed secret (hint split 2 copies of the seed into 3rds and store 2 different 3rds in each of 3 locations)

And don't tell anyone, not your wife, not your boyfriend, not your siblings.... No one!
Renr

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 04:14:08 PM

not backing up your shit
not secure enough pin

And don't tell anyone, not your wife, not your boyfriend, not your siblings.... No one!

So what happens when you die and your total networth is lost on the blockchain?
Usine

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 04:14:56 PM

not backing up your shit
not secure enough pin

So what happens when you die and your total networth is lost on the blockchain?
We all get a little richer
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: