Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:56:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why it is not possible to crack the hashing process?  (Read 4559 times)
ArsenShnurkov (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 04:26:36 PM

The task which is performed during block signing is very special.
Why not try to deep into the signing process in order to reduce number of required attempts?
May be to prepare some precomputed tables or so.
Can you point to topics about this?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dbitcoin

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

BTCDig - mining pool

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 04:53:46 PM

Why not try to deep into the signing process in order to reduce number of required attempts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-2

BTCDig - mining pool (Stratum, VarDiff, DGM, SSL, JSON API)
rasputin

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 04:53:58 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptographic_hash_function
ArsenShnurkov (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 05:11:36 PM

that article describes all possible use cases, but we have a special one.
dbitcoin

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

BTCDig - mining pool

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 05:32:03 PM

that article describes all possible use cases, but we have a special one.

Where? Smiley

SHA256(SHA256(x))

All miners just brutforce one hash for current block.

BTCDig - mining pool (Stratum, VarDiff, DGM, SSL, JSON API)
theboos

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 05:32:31 PM

Hashes are by design irreversible. In practice, they are simply very hard to reverse. The only effective way to "crack" a hash is to try trillions of hashes per second (the entire bitcoin network currently tests fewer than 600 billion hashes per second), and it would still take you on average longer than the age of the universe to find a key with a hash that matches. Bitcoin uses an "easier" hash to increase the rate of Bitcoin creation. This has been described elsewhere better, but my understanding is that blocks are created when:

hash(hash(hash(data that changes relatively infrequently) + nonce)) < some number inversely proportional to difficulty

If you were to construct a number line and place the values of hashes of random keys on it, you would find that the hashes are approximately uniformly distributed across the line. Difficulty represents the "smallness" of a range at the beginning of the line that hashes must fall into to be validated.

As for precomputed tables, even discounting the variability of the Merkle root, it would take far more time to precompute a hash table for the SHA hash than to generate thousands of bitcoins through legitimate mining. Precomputing a hash table doesn't save you any time in the long run, rather it allows you to invest (a tremendous amount of) time now so you can spend far less time on each block. You might as well generate blocks legitimately now while the difficulty is low.
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 07:01:11 PM

I personally wonder about the difficulty of discovering someone's private key in their wallet.dat by brute force attack. I think this would require 2256 hashes to guarantee finding the private key with an average crack time of 2255 hashes. Can anybody familiar with cryptography answer that question and/or elaborate?

If that is true, and we assume that in 2011 a very wealthy attacker can bring 1 THash/second to bear on the problem, and the attacker works constantly on the problem starting now, purchasing new hardware which keeps up with Moore's law over the following years (processing power doubling every two years), his descendants will steal your private key and all your descendants bitcoins somewhere around 2390 (unless they get unbelievably lucky before then). A hundred years later in 2490, anyone with the equivalent of a PC will be able to crack a wallet.dat private key in about a second. Can anyone check my math on that?

If that is true, then bitcoins won't ever truly be "lost" because in a few hundred years, they will turn up again when in becomes feasible to crack a wallet.dat private key. Hopefully whoever manages to dig up those lost coins will be able to exchange them into whatever the equivalent form of bitcoins is at that time (with much stronger cryptography).

FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 07:51:28 PM

I personally wonder about the difficulty of discovering someone's private key in their wallet.dat by brute force attack. I think this would require 2256 hashes to guarantee finding the private key with an average crack time of 2255 hashes. Can anybody familiar with cryptography answer that question and/or elaborate?

If that is true, and we assume that in 2011 a very wealthy attacker can bring 1 THash/second to bear on the problem, and the attacker works constantly on the problem starting now, purchasing new hardware which keeps up with Moore's law over the following years (processing power doubling every two years), his descendants will steal your private key and all your descendants bitcoins somewhere around 2390 (unless they get unbelievably lucky before then). A hundred years later in 2490, anyone with the equivalent of a PC will be able to crack a wallet.dat private key in about a second. Can anyone check my math on that?

If that is true, then bitcoins won't ever truly be "lost" because in a few hundred years, they will turn up again when in becomes feasible to crack a wallet.dat private key. Hopefully whoever manages to dig up those lost coins will be able to exchange them into whatever the equivalent form of bitcoins is at that time (with much stronger cryptography).
Wouldn't Moore's Law, if it still holds by then, make the Bitcoin network that much more computationally powerful and increase the difficulty accordingly?

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 07:56:42 PM

Wouldn't Moore's Law, if it still holds by then, make the Bitcoin network that much more computationally powerful and increase the difficulty accordingly?

But there isn't a changing difficulty for finding the private key as there is only ever 1 answer.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2011, 01:14:07 PM

But there isn't a changing difficulty for finding the private key as there is only ever 1 answer.
I see. To defend against this attack, people could just regularly transfer their savings between different wallets. If the target private key doesn't stand a good chance of containing enough bitcoins, the attack is kind of pointless, no?

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 01:46:51 PM

The encryption of one's private keys is entirely different from the hashing algorithm used in generating blocks.

SHA-256 hashing, ECDSA encryption.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
gohan

Activity: 52
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 02:03:02 PM

I personally wonder about the difficulty of discovering someone's private key in their wallet.dat by brute force attack. I think this would require 2256 hashes to guarantee finding the private key with an average crack time of 2255 hashes.
I might have gotten you wrong but aren't we talking about asymmetric encryption? So for Bitcoin's 160-bit ECDSA addresses, you would need 280 (~ 1.2 septillion, i.e. 25 digits) generations. Far easier than cracking symmetric encryption, you don't have to wait for the next century to reclaim lost coins.
ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 02:24:57 PM

it's ECDSA using secp256k1 curve, so 2128 not 280.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
Jim Hyslop

Activity: 98
Merit: 20

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 03:13:26 AM

If you're trying to break the private key, forget the hashes. A Bitcoin address is a hash of the public key, which you already know, so there's no point in trying to break that hash. I'm sure there's plenty of literature on the web about how long it would take to find a private key by brute force.

Like my answer? Did I help? Tips gratefully accepted here: 1H6wM8Xj8GNrhqWBrnDugd8Vf3nAfZgMnq
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: