Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:42:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is p2p Bitcoin lending a good thing?  (Read 133 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2018, 09:18:04 AM

As a basic principle, I'm against debt and lending. Debt is one of the ways that governments and banks enslave the population. However, there are some instances where a loan can be beneficial - starting a new business for example, as long as it is profitable of course. Borrowing Bitcoin is fraught with danger, and lending it is not much better. Both the borrower and lender have to decide if repayment is to be made in Bitcoin or fiat, and extreme price volatility turns this into a major factor.

So why should you borrow Bitcoin? There aren't many businesses that can be funded in Bitcoin, and generate Bitcoin revenue. Those that are able to do so, can probably be funded with a share issue, and this is a safer option for both parties. Another reason is because you believe that Bitcoin will drop in value. You sell the Bitcoin, and repurchase it when the price is lower. The name for a person who does this is "an uncovered bear", and because you are uncovered, you face unlimited potential losses.

Why would you lend Bitcoin if the market is likely to rise or drop? If you are a long term holder of Bitcoin then the price doesn't really matter until you decide to sell. Leaving your Bitcoin on the blockchain does not produce any revenue, and you may want to gain a bit of interest. However, you have to ensure that you will eventually receive repayment. Failure to take reasonable precautions will leave you in the same position as the bankrupt fiat banks.

There is another possibility.  You can place your Bitcoin in a transaction, and use this as a security for a loan, or a service such as escrow. When the security is no longer required, you can reclaim your coins.

My attitude is to leave my coins alone on the blockchain, and not borrow anything. Am I missing some revenue opportunities?

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Joseph_Bennett

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 10:53:13 AM

As a basic principle, I'm against debt and lending. Debt is one of the ways that governments and banks enslave the population. However, there are some instances where a loan can be beneficial - starting a new business for example, as long as it is profitable of course. Borrowing Bitcoin is fraught with danger, and lending it is not much better. Both the borrower and lender have to decide if repayment is to be made in Bitcoin or fiat, and extreme price volatility turns this into a major factor.

So why should you borrow Bitcoin? There aren't many businesses that can be funded in Bitcoin, and generate Bitcoin revenue. Those that are able to do so, can probably be funded with a share issue, and this is a safer option for both parties. Another reason is because you believe that Bitcoin will drop in value. You sell the Bitcoin, and repurchase it when the price is lower. The name for a person who does this is "an uncovered bear", and because you are uncovered, you face unlimited potential losses.

Why would you lend Bitcoin if the market is likely to rise or drop? If you are a long term holder of Bitcoin then the price doesn't really matter until you decide to sell. Leaving your Bitcoin on the blockchain does not produce any revenue, and you may want to gain a bit of interest. However, you have to ensure that you will eventually receive repayment. Failure to take reasonable precautions will leave you in the same position as the bankrupt fiat banks.

There is another possibility.  You can place your Bitcoin in a transaction, and use this as a security for a loan, or a service such as escrow. When the security is no longer required, you can reclaim your coins.

My attitude is to leave my coins alone on the blockchain, and not borrow anything. Am I missing some revenue opportunities?
I don't think lending is something you can just do casually. It has be quite an extensive plan. With crypto I feel like it would be so easy to be taken advantage of. How could you have any guarantee that somebody will pay you back? If you're going to borrow or lend, it would probably be best to do that in the most stable currency. That can be a problem though, if you earn money in another currency. If you took out a mortgage in Egypt in USD 5 years ago, you wouldn't be doing so well now. $100,000 was 700,000 Egyptian pounds in 2013. Now it is 1.8 million! If your salary is in pounds, that not a good situation to be in. The same thing can happen with Bitcoins.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2018, 11:01:43 AM

>..<

Could I draw your attention to this thread in the stickies. Failing to read that lost you a merit.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: