Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:25:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 149.34 BTC and 7397 LTC stolen, assistance appreciated/rewarded  (Read 8456 times)
slepp (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:28:03 AM

I'm still confused  about the wallet password.
It either had one or it didn't ?

It sounds like their is more to this story.

I get the impression bitcoin-qt was open and  running without a password on wallet.

Feel sorry for you for the loss Sad

For the earlier posts, yes, the development stuff was on the same computer, because it's just a computer at home. It's behind all the appropriate firewalls and rules, but there was another circumstance that ended up leaving the ElasticSearch API open to the Internet, which is where the breach took place.

The bitcoind was running, it was then stopped, a backup wallet was moved into place, bitcoind restarted, and all the coins were stolen. The backup copy didn't have encryption on it, but the backups hadn't been deleted (because, well, they were backups) on another system.

As I pick through the pieces, it's pretty clear what could have been done to prevent any of this, but I'm still trying to track down where the thief originally discovered this specific system and setup (and timing) to take advantage of it.
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sydboy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:04:44 AM

ah ok so you have some older backups without encryption and the hacker some how go access to those files ??
Is that what you are saying ?

I thought originally you meant you had encryption and the hacker made a backup which didnt have encryption, but then i read  your post again.

Hope you manage to track down the thief. I was on IRC a few weeks ago and people were talking about using 'getpeerinfo' to see who else is mining (and other methods) and then port scanning them so i'm sure alot of people are doing that.
slepp (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:16:06 AM

ah ok so you have some older backups without encryption and the hacker some how go access to those files ??
Is that what you are saying ?

I thought originally you meant you had encryption and the hacker made a backup which didnt have encryption, but then i read  your post again.

The encrypted wallet on that box was a recent adjustment after some private key consolidation, backups were made shortly before the encryption in case it broke. I just hadn't made it to my next set of steps to verify everything was fine, forgot about it for a little while due to other events in life, and when I went back to finish it off, it had all disappeared hours earlier.
Sydboy

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:29:53 AM

ah well, doesn't really matter now they are gone.  You could of had it encrypted and someone used a keylogger, either way, same result.
You are just in for a few weeks of sleepless nights, well, depending on your finances.
slepp (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:54:23 PM

Well, the coins are on the move again. They sat idle for the last 10 days, but were just (some of them, anyway) deposited into BTC-e. I've contacted BTC-e and they seem to be working with me on tracking them down, which is nice.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 04:40:45 PM

Sorry to hear that.  Make sure you contact elastic search and ask them to disable this back door.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:17:17 PM

, because it's just a computer at home. It's behind all the appropriate firewalls and rules, but there was another circumstance that ended up leaving the ElasticSearch API open to the Internet, which is where the breach took place.

What was the operating system on the computer?

Anyway,  I got hacked back in July 2013.  Hacker somehow got access to an unencrypted backup of the wallet.  Not sure how he got into my macbook pro.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
ltcnim
Legendary

Activity: 914
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:12:42 AM

well, this is an old thread, but it looks like the coins never moved after they were transfered:

https://blockchain.info/address/1Jzfd4LXB4i8Txm8F457QaHDmHxZJAJYjv

I wonder why anyone would perform a live-hack and then forget about the coins?

Sydboy

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:32:44 AM

probably just moved it straight into a cold storage acct.
they might have 10000 wallets with same amounts of bitcoins Sad
plus the longer you wait less chance of anyone noticing when they finally do move.
so so so many exchanges these days. be hard to trace!
WootKung

Activity: 46

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 11:38:28 AM

well, this is an old thread, but it looks like the coins never moved after they were transfered:

https://blockchain.info/address/1Jzfd4LXB4i8Txm8F457QaHDmHxZJAJYjv

I wonder why anyone would perform a live-hack and then forget about the coins?

obv hodling lol

even hackers like the get value for their money and wait for the price to go up!
Jabbatheslutt

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 02:39:55 AM

whyyou bothering your self? Keep logs go to the police, they work with interpol to dedect hacker.
I doubt interpol would get involved in a relatively small theft.
Benjig

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 02:47:48 AM
Last edit: August 29, 2014, 07:43:20 PM by Benjig

Hello everyone, after finding a way we have destroyed 60% of the premined as promised. We did it in a simple way, deleted permanently a newly generated wallet and video is uploaded to Youtube.
Program used: Rylstim Screen Recorder.
You can watch it here:

Now we will not keep the 40% left, that is around 50,000 coins , as you have seen this coins is very difficult to mine, there are currently only around 100k in circulation, so we will bring the opportunity to investors who dint mine it, or people who cant mine it due to the currently high difficulty.

We will make a mini IPO so deliver those coins to people who want to invest in this project.

The IPO will last 24 hours, and will consist on two phases of maximum 200 shares in total each one, they will represent 25,000 coins each one.

There is no minimum, so if only half of the shares are sold in one batch, the total coins will be divided into those shares sold.
Each share has cost of 0.01 BTC.

First batch of 200 maximum shares have a guaranteed amount of 12,000 coins/btc. This means, each share will deliver a minimum of 120 coins.

Once first batch is sold, Second batch of 200 will have a guaranteed amount of 8,000 coins/btc. Share minimum of 90 coins each one.

BTC Unique Address for first batch

18joTFGDMdGjQDX6UBJyDChk1e7WKWPd24

BTC Unique Address for second batch

1NX3jidJRR3M9ZMy54LztVxYLzRMnHWoyS

Don't use online wallets or exchange wallets to send the funds, with the exception of blockchain, this will be required later to send you the TLC.
After sending the funds, send me a PM with the shares purchased , tx id, and TLC address.

The ipo will last 24 hours on August 30 8:00pm Forum time, you can easily see if some batch is fully sold by checking each blockchain address, if it has more than 2 BTC the batch is sold, dont send more funds, funds sent over the 200 shares limit will be returned to user.

The funds will be used to continue the development of the coin as well as our current project: The last shop.

The Last Shop

This shop will be an online marketplace to buy and sell goods between users in the same style as bitmit.net was.
We started to developing it and the ETA is around 1 month, the online shop will only use Bitcoin and TLC.

Best, TLC team

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: