Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:35:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fix the blockchain!  (Read 2331 times)
ineededausername (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 04:18:03 PM

Hi everyone,
I think the following things need to be pointed out about the blockchain.

1. It's stupidly huge and something needs to be done about that.
2. If you expect btc to be a real-world currency then it's going to get even more stupidly huge with more use.
3. It takes forever to download it, which puts off new users.
4. It's a Berkeley DB... ugh.

If I'm wrong, please correct me... but I think the blockchain needs to be changed so that it's more user-friendly, dev-friendly and efficient.

edit: I posted this in the Bitcoin Discussion forum because I wanted to discuss the effect of the huge blockchain on new users' adoption of bitcoin.

(BFL)^2 < 0
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 04:43:49 PM

If I'm wrong, please correct me
Indeed you are

I wanted to discuss the effect of the huge blockchain on new users' adoption of bitcoin.
Already discussed tons of times...

ttk2

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 04:57:58 PM

Hi everyone,
I think the following things need to be pointed out about the blockchain.

2. If you expect btc to be a real-world currency then it's going to get even more stupidly huge with more use.

If I'm wrong, please correct me... but I think the blockchain needs to be changed so that it's more user-friendly, dev-friendly and efficient.

edit: I posted this in the Bitcoin Discussion forum because I wanted to discuss the effect of the huge blockchain on new users' adoption of bitcoin.

You make more than 500 posts and you dont know about block chain trimming? really?

Just in case i do something worthwhile: 12YXLzbi4hfLaUxyPswRbKW92C6h5KsVnX
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050

You are WRONG!

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 05:05:42 PM

what is wrong with that? seriously! you do have a really low understanding of DB's right?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 05:14:22 PM

The first monthly "State of Bitcoin" summary coming from project developer Gavin Andresen ( 13 Oct 15:32 )
http://bit.ly/plkp7D

excerpt:
• Network stability and wallet security are still my top concerns; start-up experience for new users
  (the long wait to download the block chain) is next on my list.

doobadoo

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 05:26:07 PM

RE #1:  I wouldn't call it stupidly huge, it can still fit on one cd rom..and those haven't been "big" for about 15 years.

RE #2:  Yes it will, i completely agree

RE #3:  I do not know for the life of me, why 95% of the block chain isn't downloaded along with the app..that is the first 140K or so blocks really should come with the initial download.  Its much smaller than 600 mb when you zip it.  Then updating the rest by the client should only take an hour or two.

RE #4:  Good luck trying to change that

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2011, 12:09:19 AM

RE #3:  I do not know for the life of me, why 95% of the block chain isn't downloaded along with the app..that is the first 140K or so blocks really should come with the initial download.  Its much smaller than 600 mb when you zip it.  Then updating the rest by the client should only take an hour or two.

Doesn't this just shift the burden of serving those blocks from the network as a whole to the site hosting bitcoin.org?  Sounds like that would be a bad thing; I'm sure their bandwidth bills are a burden already.

If the bitcoin wire protocol doesn't have an option for compression, I'm sure it would be easy to add it.  Then there would be no net bandwidth difference between bundling the blockchain with the client and letting it download on startup.

With all of that in mind, the client sure does need a simple "please wait while the blockchain downloads, X% finished" since it's reasonable to assume that this is the user's first encounter with the bitcoin client and they aren't likely to know what's going on.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
doobadoo

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 01:38:34 AM

Doesn't this just shift the burden of serving those blocks from the network as a whole to the site hosting bitcoin.org?  Sounds like that would be a bad thing; I'm sure their bandwidth bills are a burden already.

how many thousands of people are dling bitcoin client every day?  I think the hosting bandwidth is trival

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8343

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2011, 07:18:56 AM

what is wrong with that? seriously! you do have a really low understanding of DB's right?

The funnier part is that the _block chain_ is not stored using BDB.... the blocks are stored in a simple flat file with the blocks appended one after another.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 04:11:54 PM

Related post here:
 - http://bitcoin-trader.blogspot.com/2011/10/that-god-damned-blockchain.html

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 04:37:42 PM

Not an argument, yes at some points quantum effects may employ a barrier but that's when we we even argue about trimming the blockchain, so until then can this topic rest plz?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: