Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:51:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to find out who sent me this BTC  (Read 2075 times)
postingthatsmypurpose

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:08:40 PM

Wait we can find out who's the senter? I didnt thought that would be possible
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:11:52 PM

Everything is possible! It's just very hard

You can even monitor an address to see at witch nodes it broadcast first the transaction and after monitoring it for a while you have only a few IP's on the list of "suspects"

But it is very hard to do that and time consuming especially if it's not in your blood to track people down!

Space for rent if its still trending
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4623

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:14:27 PM

It isn't easy, and it isn't always possible.  It really depends on how careful the sender is as well as how careful the people and business that the sender interacts with are.

Many people post their bitcoin addresses publicly.  Others interact with people or businesses that post their bitcoin address publicly.  Many also re-use the same address more than once.

If you do any of these, then yes, it improves the chances that we can find out who is the sender.

In this case the sender re-used addresses and interacted with people or businesses that post their bitcoin address publicly.

Bitcoin is not anonymous.  Anyone who told you it is was either lying to you or misinformed.  Every transaction can be tracked from address to address until it leads to an address that is public.  Once you get there, you just have to ask that person who they sent to (or received from), and trace the chain of transactions back the way you came.
serje
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:18:49 PM

It isn't easy, and it isn't always possible.  It really depends on how careful the sender is as well as how careful the people and business that the sender interacts with are.

Many people post their bitcoin addresses publicly.  Others interact with people or businesses that post their bitcoin address publicly.  Many also re-use the same address more than once.

If you do any of these, then yes, it improves the chances that we can find out who is the sender.

In this case the sender re-used addresses and interacted with people or businesses that post their bitcoin address publicly.

Bitcoin is not anonymous.  Anyone who told you it is was either lying to you or misinformed.  Every transaction can be tracked from address to address until it leads to an address that is public.  Once you get there, you just have to ask that person who they sent to (or received from), and trace the chain of transactions back the way you came.

the most simple way to make your BTC vanish from stalker is to deposit at an exchange all your BTC then buy another crypto that is stable and move the new crypto you've bought at another exchange and sell it for BTC you will loose the fees plus the difference from exchanges but if you are careful you can even finish this process in profit, withdraw the BTC to another address you own!

no one can trace this!

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:23:36 PM

the most simple way to make your BTC vanish from stalker is to deposit at an exchange all your BTC then buy another crypto that is stable and move the new crypto you've bought at another exchange and sell it for BTC you will loose the fees plus the difference from exchanges but if you are careful you can even finish this process in profit, withdraw the BTC to another address you own!

no one can trace this!

I suspect that in the future, people who believe that this is a guaranteed way to hide the source of their bitcoins are going to be rather surprised at the capabilities of forensic accounting and a lot of computing power.
serje
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:39:29 PM

no one can trace this!

I suspect that in the future, people who believe that this is a guaranteed way to hide the source of their bitcoins are going to be rather surprised at the capabilities of forensic accounting and a lot of computing power.

I deposit BTC and Buy AUR go to another exchange sell AUR for BTC and withdraw to a fresh new wallet.dat made on another pc with another IP and put it on paper wallet .... how they can find out?

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:45:51 PM

I deposit BTC and Buy AUR go to another exchange sell AUR for BTC and withdraw to a fresh new wallet.dat made on another pc with another IP and put it on paper wallet .... how they can find out?

IANAFA (I am not a forensic accountant), so I'm no expert in the matter.

One possibility that comes to mind is that they know the total AUR that the deposited BTC can purchase.  They see the depoist from you at the first exchange.  Then they find a transaction (or set of transactions) withdrawing the right amount of AUR from the first exchange.  They follow these transactions through the AUR blockchain until they see them all deposited into the exact same account at the second exchange.  They know the total BTC that the deposited AUR can purchase, so they find a transaction (or set of transactions) withdrawing the right amount of BTC from the second exchange.

In addition they track the source of where you get the initital BTC from, and they track the location that the final BTC are stored or spent.  A subpoena and a search warrant, and they confirm that the bitcoins are yours.
serje
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 08:51:37 PM

One possibility that comes to mind is that they know the total AUR that the deposited BTC can purchase.  They see the depoist from you at the first exchange.  Then they find a transaction (or set of transactions) withdrawing the right amount of AUR from the first exchange.  They follow these transactions through the AUR blockchain until they see them all deposited into the exact same account at the second exchange.  They know the total BTC that the deposited AUR can purchase, so they find a transaction (or set of transactions) withdrawing the right amount of BTC from the second exchange.

In addition they track the source of where you get the initial BTC from, and they track the location that the final BTC are stored or spent.  A subpoena and a search warrant, and they confirm that the bitcoins are yours.

Damn! You're good! even if you are not IANAFA !!!

I have to develop a way to make it secure, maybe building some shady websites where you purchase things that are not shippable and from that websites to deposit the money in different exchanges and withdraw in also more wallets the final amount, if they still can find it at least they will work their asses off!

trashymonkey

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 09:00:28 PM

.1 out of nowhere? Damnnnnn! That's like finding 60 bucks (at current trading) in your bank account!
oriel2 (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 11:09:24 PM

.1 out of nowhere? Damnnnnn! That's like finding 60 bucks (at current trading) in your bank account!

exactly - if you found 60 bucks in your bank account from a mystery person wouldnt you want to know who it was from?!
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 11:44:06 PM

I once got 0.25BTC and I still don't know who I got them from Cheesy

Chemistry1988
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:39:06 AM

Feel free to send me 0.25btc, and I won't care who you are lol  Grin
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 10:33:32 AM

Feel free to send me 0.25btc, and I won't care who you are lol  Grin
Why don't you send half to me? I could use it. Cheesy

Kiki112

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:04:42 AM

no one can trace this!

daaamn, that's genius Cheesy

One possibility that comes to mind is that they know the total AUR that the deposited BTC can purchase.  They see the depoist from you at the first exchange.  Then they find a transaction (or set of transactions) withdrawing the right amount of AUR from the first exchange.  They follow these transactions through the AUR blockchain until they see them all deposited into the exact same account at the second exchange.  They know the total BTC that the deposited AUR can purchase, so they find a transaction (or set of transactions) withdrawing the right amount of BTC from the second exchange.

In addition they track the source of where you get the initial BTC from, and they track the location that the final BTC are stored or spent.  A subpoena and a search warrant, and they confirm that the bitcoins are yours.

can they track you down if you're using a dynamic IP which changes every day? Cheesy

Feel free to send me 0.25btc, and I won't care who you are lol  Grin

Unfortunately I lost them, don't ask me how Sad

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 11:23:55 AM

no one can trace this!

One possibility that comes to mind is that they know the total AUR that the deposited BTC can purchase.  They see the depoist from you at the first exchange.  Then they find a transaction (or set of transactions) withdrawing the right amount of AUR from the first exchange.  They follow these transactions through the AUR blockchain until they see them all deposited into the exact same account at the second exchange.  They know the total BTC that the deposited AUR can purchase, so they find a transaction (or set of transactions) withdrawing the right amount of BTC from the second exchange.

In addition they track the source of where you get the initial BTC from, and they track the location that the final BTC are stored or spent.  A subpoena and a search warrant, and they confirm that the bitcoins are yours.

can they track you down if you're using a dynamic IP which changes every day? Cheesy

How did you lose them? Grin

Kiki112

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:28:24 AM

no one can trace this!

let's say Sheep Marketplace went down Cheesy

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 11:33:25 AM

no one can trace this!

I'm not sure, but I think I get it. Undecided
Back on topic, just keep the coins. There's pretty much next to nothing possibility of finding who those coins belong after that much time.

Kiki112

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:35:41 AM

no one can trace this!

I'm not sure, but I think I get it. Undecided
Back on topic, just keep the coins. There's pretty much next to nothing possibility of finding who those coins belong after that much time.

my coins were at the website when it got hacked, that's all to understand Cheesy

Altough I don't regret it, I'v gotten smarter and I'm not using those kind of websites anymore Cheesy

well, if the sender wanted you to know he sent them he would of told you, just keep them and enjoy them Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: