Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:50:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Power Supply Analysis  (Read 23155 times)
JLebowskiTheDude

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 04:19:11 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2014, 04:38:22 PM by JLebowskiTheDude

Updated the pricing post.

Have been busy with work and life this past 12 days since my last post in this thread.  But since my pricing post has L/AVG/H pricing all the pricing is still pretty much very up to date.  Funny how that works that way.  Grin

Two changes though -

I added a new link to the Z750P option and updated that pricing.  You can get $10 or less Z750P supplies if you know where to hunt, or you can get an entire kit from sidehack that has the supply, board, and cables for $70 which is pretty competitively priced.  So all that was added to the updated pricing post.  I've purchased server interface boards and cables from sidehack.  Trustworthy guy, and he and his minions as he calls them do good work.

Added the CX500M and CX600M to the pricing table.  

OP has CX500M listed as $54.99, actual price via OP is $60.92, but the CX500M  is currently available for $34.99 AR.  

OP has CX600M listed as $64.99, actual price via OP is $71.73, but the CX600M is currently available for $44.99 AR.  

If modularity is important it may be worth the premium above the regular CX series sale prices.  Otherwise for purely mining hardware powering purposes, there are more cost effective options.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JLebowskiTheDude

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:26:09 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2014, 04:35:03 PM by JLebowskiTheDude

Since the OP hasn't been updated in a while, I had some spare time and recoded my backend that parses out forum bb code, restructured my pricing table a bit, removed useless portions of my own post that were there, and added more relevant and useful data for the user.

Updated the pricing post.

Now there are several vendors listed: Newegg, TigerDirect, Amazon, Frys, and an "Other" field to accommodate special deal opportunities.

For now that portion of the table will show only the better deals that are currently available.  I may eventually opt to have direct links to all the vendors for all supplies and just bold or single out the most cost effective one, but for readability I'm keeping it simple for starters.

The L/AVG/H pricing data gets updated for all each update iteration so it will keep current with the cumulative running pricing long term, whereas the right most portion of the table will single out "good deal" opportunities at the moment.

But maybe there are better ideas out there.  Feedback and/or collaboration is welcomed!

New current deal opportunities:

• CX 430W @ TD for $20 AR [Listed in OP: $40; Actual Price using OP link: $50]
  • SeaSonic G 750W @ NE for $80 AR [Listed in OP: $112; Actual Price using OP link: $130]
  • XFX PRO750W @ AM for $75 AR

domerdel

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 11:06:17 PM

I didn't see the Thermaltake in your pricing. Thoughts on this?

Toughpower XT Platinum 1275W Snow Edition
https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001874?

ebay: $199
Other sites $219-249
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 02:27:46 AM

I didn't see the Thermaltake in your pricing. Thoughts on this?

Toughpower XT Platinum 1275W Snow Edition
https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001874?

ebay: $199
Other sites $219-249
It wouldn't do well, it only has 65A for PCI-E devices due to its split rail design. Thats 780W on a 1250W PSU.

domerdel

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 03:09:21 AM

[/quote]
It wouldn't do well, it only has 65A for PCI-E devices due to its split rail design. Thats 780W on a 1250W PSU.
[/quote]

Thank you for your thoroughness and prompt response. I'm new to the mining rig game, but use to build PC's back in the day. It seems like your PSU ratings anything over 850 is on the average to poor side. I may have missed this in the thread, but is it more efficient to stack lower wattage PSU's than get a big one? I'm building a rig, but it will be pieced together (only 2 GPU's to start, R290 or 290X), and rather than continuously upgrading/swapping out PSU's, I was wondering what best PSU's would be paired. going to build it in a rectangle 19x13x10 milk crate.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 03:28:56 AM

[/quote]

Thank you for your thoroughness and prompt response. I'm new to the mining rig game, but use to build PC's back in the day. It seems like your PSU ratings anything over 850 is on the average to poor side. I may have missed this in the thread, but is it more efficient to stack lower wattage PSU's than get a big one? I'm building a rig, but it will be pieced together (only 2 GPU's to start, R290 or 290X), and rather than continuously upgrading/swapping out PSU's, I was wondering what best PSU's would be paired. going to build it in a rectangle 19x13x10 milk crate.
[/quote]
Essentially the larger PSUs can't compete on price efficiency compared to the mid range sizes (~600-800W). Pick yourself up something corsair, can never go wrong. And yes, much more efficient to bridge 2 mid PSUs than one monster.

domerdel

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 03:43:33 AM

TXM or CXM 750? pretty close on spec, but the more expensive one (not by much) has a 5 yr warranty instead of 3.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 03:57:27 AM

CXM I usually go for.

domerdel

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 04:46:41 PM

CXM I usually go for.

Thanks I got two CXM 750's. What is the best dual PSU adapter to get them running in sync? My motherboard is the ASRock H81 pro BTC
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2014, 06:17:07 PM

Thanks I got two CXM 750's. What is the best dual PSU adapter to get them running in sync? My motherboard is the ASRock H81 pro BTC
Easy peasy.

domerdel

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 07:25:33 PM

/VL3Kog]Easy peasy.

you rock, thank you! I'll be building the rig this weekend Smiley
booradlly

Activity: 29

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 06:40:33 PM

So I'm currently on the fence between the cx750/cx750m, the dell Z750P+gekko science board, and a IBM Blade Servers (DPS2000) ($40 off ebay).

I'm currently running two antminer s1's (dual blade) connected to one cx750m. Everything appears to be running smoothly, any critique's on this setup?

I will be buying a lot of antminer s1's over the next couple of weeks, The psu's I buy from here on out I'd like to be scalable, which from what I understand could be any of the three power supplies I've mentioned above. Suggestions?

Eventually I will be swapping all the antminer's for monarch's, but that will be farther down the road, however I would prefer to not have to buy new psu's. Obviously we don't have power specs on the monarch's yet, but from a rack power and organization standpoint, if you are going big which of the three psu's above would scale the best?

I noticed no one has mentioned redundant power supplies, why not?

I also noticed no one has mentioned UPS's, what are you guys using for that?

Are there any advantages to running psu's in sync when they are outside a computer?

In relation to house circuit power, as long as I'm not blowing any circuit breakers, I shouldn't have to worry about if I'm on a 15A or 20A or 30A circuit right? I only should have to start looking at that when circuit breakers start tripping? Or in other words, if I need more power I should just run another 15A circuit right, not try and increase the 15A to 20A or something?

Someone said somewhere about keeping your circuit power utilization under 80%, is that really necessary and if so any suggestions on metering devices?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 10:05:49 PM

Easy peasy.
you rock, thank you! I'll be building the rig this weekend Smiley

No problem

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 01:29:01 AM

So I'm currently on the fence between the cx750/cx750m, the dell Z750P+gekko science board, and a IBM Blade Servers (DPS2000) ($40 off ebay).

I'm currently running two antminer s1's (dual blade) connected to one cx750m. Everything appears to be running smoothly, any critique's on this setup?

I will be buying a lot of antminer s1's over the next couple of weeks, The psu's I buy from here on out I'd like to be scalable, which from what I understand could be any of the three power supplies I've mentioned above. Suggestions?

Eventually I will be swapping all the antminer's for monarch's, but that will be farther down the road, however I would prefer to not have to buy new psu's. Obviously we don't have power specs on the monarch's yet, but from a rack power and organization standpoint, if you are going big which of the three psu's above would scale the best?

I noticed no one has mentioned redundant power supplies, why not?

I also noticed no one has mentioned UPS's, what are you guys using for that?

Are there any advantages to running psu's in sync when they are outside a computer?

In relation to house circuit power, as long as I'm not blowing any circuit breakers, I shouldn't have to worry about if I'm on a 15A or 20A or 30A circuit right? I only should have to start looking at that when circuit breakers start tripping? Or in other words, if I need more power I should just run another 15A circuit right, not try and increase the 15A to 20A or something?

Someone said somewhere about keeping your circuit power utilization under 80%, is that really necessary and if so any suggestions on metering devices?

750s are too close for 2x S1s overclocked in the long term as you'll be running them at ~825 24/7. If you want a solution for super long term, get 1200AX's. They are expensive, but you can load them at 1300 24/7 (3 S1s OCed) and they have a ridiculous 7 year warranty.

Redundant power supplies cost twice and much, and its not mission critical. If a PSU fails, you unplug it and plug another one in. Nothing lost. Same with UPS, it costs so much to have even 10 minutes of backup power for a mining operation, but the cost of 10 minutes of interruption is virtually nothing.

No reason to sync PSUs unless they're bridged (powering the same hardware).

If the circuit is rated to run that current, it will run that current. You can run as many circuits as you like as long as none of them exceed the spec of the wiring, the circuit and the overall system. Consult a qualified electrician.

PSU efficiency is highest at around 90% but the difference is minimal.

hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 07:50:11 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2014, 09:48:41 AM by hdbuck

does all PSUs need to be paperclip empowered?

edit: and i dont get, i have a seasonic 750 80plus gold: why this PSU is so low rated in your analysis Huh
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2014, 05:27:52 PM

does all PSUs need to be paperclip empowered?

edit: and i dont get, i have a seasonic 750 80plus gold: why this PSU is so low rated in your analysis Huh
Its all a relative scale, so 60 doesn't necessarily mean its a bad power supply, but that there are potentially other better buys out there.

pokeyjones

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 10:53:12 AM

have been reading for hours. i'm turning it over to you experts!

recommendations, please. best overall power supply for an S1 Dual Blade AntMiner.... not overclocked. In a four months I'd like to overclock with the same power supplies. need to power three dual blade machines.

amazing resource here, thanks all and thanks Dogie!
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2014, 11:05:25 AM

have been reading for hours. i'm turning it over to you experts!

recommendations, please. best overall power supply for an S1 Dual Blade AntMiner.... not overclocked. In a four months I'd like to overclock with the same power supplies. need to power three dual blade machines.

amazing resource here, thanks all and thanks Dogie!

axi1200

pokeyjones

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 02:02:52 PM

Damn! I got a reply from Dogie!? Thank you, sir.

So buy a single power supply and run all three. Reading about the on the fly power adjustments to save juice? Great stuff.

In my head I was hoping to pay ~$65 (+shipping) per power supply and pickup three. Read a post that had different tiers (build/components/quality) and I'd decided I don't need top top tier. I'd like to find the tier two solution at the tier three price. Can proper power be had for three S1's in the $250-275 range?

Someone once said that if you buy the best you won't be disappointed. Unfortunately money is an object.

Again thanks very much. Any additional recommendations / explanations are welcomed.

pokeyjones

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 02:20:27 PM

If I want to overclock the miners in the future, will the AX1200i have enough juice? Further consideration, is this really a good recommendation to power 3x S1 dual blade 180GH/s S1's now (~360W per) and then overclocked (~400W per)?

The longer you run a racecar in the red the sooner it is going to blow up. Hmmm.

again, thank you.

EDIT: I now see 1320W peak power on the 1200. So... why am I doubting Dogie?!

If you've got a less expensive solution I'm all ears.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: