Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:59:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin ETF, Is it really needed?  (Read 564 times)
r1s2g3 (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
August 10, 2018, 06:19:39 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2018, 03:22:56 AM by r1s2g3
Merited by suchmoon (7), Welsh (5), dbshck (2), mikeywith (2), inPRIVACYweBELIEVE (2), OgNasty (1), DdmrDdmr (1), paxmao (1), teramit (1)

Bitcoin ETF is currently in news as SEC recently rejected Winklevoss twin Bitcoin ETF and   fate of 9 others ETF will be decided in next 2 month .

Whatever the SEC decide on it in future will be interesting to follow.  It will be worth nothing that Bitcoin ETF will be treating Bitcoin as an asset not as a currency. As per fundamental of ETF , Bitcoin ETF will simply means that Bitcoin will be locked as an asset and ETF will be traded in exchange.

Why Bitcoin ETF should not make appeal to the Bitcoin community.

1. Treating currency as an asset to trade in exchange.
2. For ETF, Bitcoin need to kept  secured, means ETF will remove that amount of Bitcoin to be available for active transaction.
3. Bitcoin can be easily purchased and sold so it is not that Bitcoin ETF is making bitcoin more available to masses.
4. ETF do not gurantee that it will solve the Bitcoin price volatility problem.
5. ETF might give rise to "HODL" mentality that is not good for Bitcoin. (I will explain it sometime later.)

ETF will help Institutional Investors or other organization to invest in Bitcoin but Bitcoin is meant for P2P transaction and Satoshi did not created it to be used as Investment product.

Edit: Adding below the views of  Andreas Antonopoulos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSv0J4bfBCc&feature=push-u&attr_tag=GUmiDnU0TxDaahFh%3A6&ab_channel=aantonop

The main points from his video

1.When you own Bitcoin you own keys. You are in control of your Bitcoin. By ETF , you will not have any keys so you are not in control of your Bitcoin.

2.ETF owner/Custodian  will be a single holder of the Bitcoin. ETF holding so large amount of Bitcoin can easily manipulate the market.

3.If any debate going to happen in bitcoin (like Bitcoin cash ) in future then ETF custodian will have the voice but not the actual share holders.

4.Bitcoin ETF is a terrible idea but it might happen in future.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tankdestroyer

Activity: 476
Merit: 107

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 12:11:21 PM

ETF will help Institutional Investors or other organization to invest in Bitcoin but Bitcoin is meant for P2P transaction and Satoshi did not created it to be used as Investment product.
You've already answered the question. I believe the text in the bold on the quote makes others really excited for the ETF since it will mean more profit to come and is the reason why ETF's have an appeal to the bitcoin community as a whole. Just the thought of speculating how much money institutional investors and other organization will put on it is very appealing, and the thought of price skyrocketing because of it is very enticing.
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 7403

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 07:17:00 PM
Merited by friends1980 (1)

No, what we really need are Bitcoin legalization as currency/payment method and making sure everyone can buy/sell Bitcoin easier, even in small amount
r1s2g3 (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 09:49:21 PM

You've already answered the question. I believe the text in the bold on the quote makes others really excited for the ETF since it will mean more profit to come and is the reason why ETF's have an appeal to the bitcoin community as a whole. Just the thought of speculating how much money institutional investors and other organization will put on it is very appealing, and the thought of price skyrocketing because of it is very enticing.

This look to me very short term goal, as it will cause change of status from currency to an asset that is not at all desired.
It remind me a old story of The Goose That Laid the Golden Egg.
ovbokhan

Activity: 95
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 09:52:01 PM

it certainly has some undesirable effect, pulling a large chunk of bitcoin out of circulation will basically mean there will be less bitcoin to be used as a means  of payment, destroying Satoshies original vision
racebum

Activity: 75
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2018, 11:36:15 PM

it's a catalyst. do we "need" it? no, would it ramp up the price? almost certainly.

there is a lot of fear we are going to leg down and test 3200-3700 out there right now. it seems unwarranted since 2018 is not 2014 or anywhere close to it fundamentally

an etf approval would likely stop that thought process dead in its tracks. personally i think the question on an etf is "when" not "if"
SuiMikira

Activity: 364
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 05:29:50 AM

We really need it, if SEC approve Bitcoin ETF, there will be more people know about Bitcoin, and trust in it, more buyers, this will pumps Bitcoin price and then the whole crypto market. Though  Bitcoin ETF will make Bitcoin become an asset and not a currency, it's still good for us because Bitcoin can't become a currency unless it can enable micro payments and lightning transactions with minimum fees.
shanem
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 12:23:30 PM

Bitcoin ETF is needed not just for price speculation but to give legitimacy to the entire cryptocurrency sector. Now if you walk around the street and just talk to anybody about bitcoin, nobody would have any clue what you are talking about. Bitcoin ETF may not be necessary for the crypto market but it speeds up the adoption of crypto among the masses.
goldkingcoiner
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1642

Verified Bitcoin Hodler

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 09:40:06 PM

Bitcoin ETF is needed not just for price speculation but to give legitimacy to the entire cryptocurrency sector. Now if you walk around the street and just talk to anybody about bitcoin, nobody would have any clue what you are talking about. Bitcoin ETF may not be necessary for the crypto market but it speeds up the adoption of crypto among the masses.

Also Europe is already progressing towards ETF.  Flow Traders NV is already trading in ETN. ETF is unstoppable its only a matter of when.
rexxarofmoknathal

Activity: 966
Merit: 260

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 10:09:55 PM

Also Europe is already progressing towards ETF.  Flow Traders NV is already trading in ETN. ETF is unstoppable its only a matter of when.

I agree with the both of you. ETF is our key to making crypto more visible and at the same time more accessible. Its a way towards BTC world-wide adoption - speaking, of the future, of course!
biogesic

Activity: 168
Merit: 9

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 07:49:22 PM

For some reason, I just want bitcoin and crypto in general to stay like it is, the wild west kind of market. ETF and all kinds of institutional products are no for me. That's just my opinion.
r1s2g3 (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 03:20:28 AM

Even Andreas Antonopoulos says that Bitcoin ETF is a very terrible idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSv0J4bfBCc&feature=push-u&attr_tag=GUmiDnU0TxDaahFh%3A6&ab_channel=aantonop

The main points from his video

1.When you own Bitcoin you own keys. You are in control of your Bitcoin. By ETF , you will not have any keys so you are not in control of your Bitcoin.

2.ETF owner/Custodian  will be a single holder of the Bitcoin. ETF holding so large amount of Bitcoin can easily manipulate the market.

3.If any debate going to happen in bitcoin (like Bitcoin cash ) in future then ETF custodian will have the voice but not the actual share holders.

4.Bitcoin ETF is a terrible idea but it might happen in future.
Sutters Mill

Activity: 976
Merit: 575

Cryptophile at large

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 01:24:04 PM
Merited by suchmoon (7), LoyceV (1)

The ETF isn't the be all and end all of bitcoin and bitcoin is bigger than that, but maybe people shouldn't get excited about something that may never come. Besides, even if it does ever get the go ahead I don't think it will be that huge. Sure, people will get excited about it and the price will rally but it'll probably come crashing back down again once the excitement is over.

it certainly has some undesirable effect, pulling a large chunk of bitcoin out of circulation will basically mean there will be less bitcoin to be used as a means  of payment, destroying Satoshies original vision

I don't see how people holding bitcoin is against satoshis vision? Bitcoin was created as a new type of money, and people can either spend of save it. Bitcoin doesn't have to be constantly moving about. Besides, more bitcoin out of circulation is good for everyone as it lowers the supply whilst demand continues to grow.

I'm sure more people are going to know what bitcoin is than an ETF.
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 09:33:42 PM

It is the path to the entry of institutional money. I think the ecosystem is set to evolve into that direction anyway, we should try to be ready to take advantage if that´s possible.
Retty

Activity: 154
Merit: 47

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 10:38:02 PM

Although i'd love to see an ETF granted at some stage, i really think crypto needs a real good clean-up first!

There are too many scammers,crooks and thieves that have been catching out people who are new to the space. Not to mention all of the blatant scam ICO's, ETH 'giveaway' scams or other joke coins/tokens which have suddenly appeared on the scene.

In my opinion if we are to be taken seriously as a community, then all the crap needs to be washed away and build from there. Then we can start focusing on an ETF.
worldofcoins

Activity: 1834
Merit: 418

Need a campaign manager? | Telegram:@worldofcoinss

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2018, 10:44:56 PM

Ohh, my, yeahhh! We do need it and lets hope that ETF does approve crypto because if that happens is almost as when countries are saved from a great recession.
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1490
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 02:40:18 AM

No, we don't need a Bitcoin ETF.

I mostly agree with Andreas Antonopoulos, and one of his most interesting points is that the ETF investors will be second tier compared to people who have access to their keys.
I'm not comfortable with holding BTC in exchanges. I can't imagine being comfortable holding BTC in an ETF.

We shouldn't be blinded by the price of Bitcoin. Usability and market building are more important.
cryptorima

Activity: 278
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 01:39:22 PM

If ETF get approval then more money will come on crypto and the price of cryptocurrency will rise very much. For this reason we need ETF approval.
larsbalzak

Activity: 308
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 26, 2018, 03:34:57 PM

The things Bitcoin need the most are miners, buyers and sellers. ETF can fuck off, Bitcoin didn't need it in the past and so it doesn't need it now.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2018, 07:44:41 AM
Merited by paxmao (2), dbshck (1)

People don't seem to realise that ETFs are usually based on paper contracts, and this means they expand the apparently available amount of the asset. Bitcoin's value is based on scarcity, and the fact that only 21 million coins will be released. Just think of the effect on the price if ETFs add another 20 million "virtual" coins to the pool, and don't forget that their transfer will provide revenue for the banks, and not for the miners who are so important to the integrity of the Bitcoin economy.

I hope that ETFs never gain any approval, but they are such a valuable tool for banking control, that it is almost certain that they will be used for the benefit of the bankers.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: