Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:19:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Not anonymous = only for legal business  (Read 1485 times)
Findeton (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 10:34:08 PM

Hi, i'm new to Bitcoin, and I think it's a great idea (greater even for early adopters). I've been reading and reading, and the thing is that if someone links (one of) your account(s) to you, they get all your trading history. That's bad for you if what you're doing is illegal (like selling drugs). Yes, there are some ways to make your money more anonymous, but they normally are too much of a hassle.

So, Why should an illegal business man choose Bitcoin?

It's not that i were planning to do anything illegal, it's more like... well... we all know that a big part of all the existing money comes from illegal activities (like drugs and weapons). How could we go mainstream without cashing all that money into the bitcoins economy!?

Bitcoin Weekly, bitcoin analysis and commentary

14DD7MhRXuw3KDuyUuXvAsRcK4KXTT36XA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Frozenlock

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 10:40:08 PM

Sure, you can see all the trade history.
For example, you can say he received 20BTC from account 1MwEJr2F2d3bfuvn4Pdx5PpsgkZZ3eyXRK.
However, if you don't know who's using this account, what can you do with this info?
Prze_koles

Activity: 156

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 10:42:34 PM

You can have many addresses pointing to the same wallet and no one knows how much BTC you've got in that wallet. They can only find how much coins were send to particular address.

1FzTJh1C58m1gqnNzxLTt2ryNYkuk1YdfN
Findeton (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 10:50:59 PM

For example, you can say he received 20BTC from account 1MwEJr2F2d3bfuvn4Pdx5PpsgkZZ3eyXRK.
However, if you don't know who's using this account, what can you do with this info?

But why should they (illegal activities overlords) use bitcoin instead of normal money/banks? I just can't see why they should use it instead of normal money. Although normal money also usually money laundering.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, maybe a good thing is that if they have money in their bitcoin accounts, no one can stop them from using it.

Bitcoin Weekly, bitcoin analysis and commentary

14DD7MhRXuw3KDuyUuXvAsRcK4KXTT36XA
cloud9

Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 11:45:46 PM

But why should they (illegal activities overlords) use bitcoin instead of normal money/banks? I just can't see why they should use it instead of normal money. Although normal money also usually money laundering.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, maybe a good thing is that if they have money in their bitcoin accounts, no one can stop them from using it.

Maybe the CIA designed bitcoin and tricked them into believing that it is actually anonymous?  And now they can trace them through the blockchain because the user were technically trustworthy/ignorant to check out the software before using it for their illegitimate activities.  Huh

gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 04:41:27 AM

It's trivial to circumvent with mixing services. Just as it is trivial to use https over http. Choose what's right for you (personally I'm fine being public and generating new addresses all the time, but hey...
cloud9

Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 07:06:21 AM

It's trivial to circumvent with mixing services. Just as it is trivial to use https over http. Choose what's right for you (personally I'm fine being public and generating new addresses all the time, but hey...

Wouldn't a mixing service be considered bitcoin laudering and just as illegal as cash laundering?

ChristianK

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 02:54:36 PM

If someone wants to sell access to a botnet they might want to avoid giving their identity to their buyer. The person might want to buy an software exploit without identifying himself with the seller.
The criminal can buy products with Bitcoin that don't require him to reveal his identity.

If he wants to move his money outside of the Bitcoin economy he will have to do some money laundering. Existence of mixing services would make it easy.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 05:17:05 PM

Without access to private keys, an adversary will have trouble tracking your bitcoins as you can use different receive and send wallet IDs. Futhermore, if you add another 3rd party into the transaction chain, such as an exchange, lottery, blackpool laundry, or simply hop off the bitcoin network by selling the bitcoins and repurchasing them again, you effectively make your adversary lose too many resources tracking your ass.

However, if the adversary has access to your wallet(s), he can prove specific blockchain transactions are made in your behalf and reduce the doubt of your innocence.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: