Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:49:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will bitcoin survive a global economic crash?  (Read 1244 times)
justanickname (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:01:35 PM

My question is, what if all of a sudden a big crisis occurs like a dollar collapse and millions will buy bitcoin all at once.
Can the current bitcoin infrastructure handle the sudden amount of transactions?
I fear that bitcoin will collapse because people will see that it takes months to do a simple transaction because of the overload.

So to handle the overload we will need to increase block size limit, but will it be healthy/possible to increase block size limit in a few orders of magnitudes, in a short period of time, without ruining the decentralization of bitcoin?

I am afraid that we need our lousy economy to last a few more years until bitcoin is strong enough.

The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shideneyu
Copper Member

Activity: 126

The Ancient

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:25:23 PM

Survive to the current crash, and we'll talk about it later... okay?
Gilberto

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 06:48:50 AM

My question is, what if all of a sudden a big crisis occurs like a dollar collapse and millions will buy bitcoin all at once.
Can the current bitcoin infrastructure handle the sudden amount of transactions?
I fear that bitcoin will collapse because people will see that it takes months to do a simple transaction because of the overload.

So to handle the overload we will need to increase block size limit, but will it be healthy/possible to increase block size limit in a few orders of magnitudes, in a short period of time, without ruining the decentralization of bitcoin?

I am afraid that we need our lousy economy to last a few more years until bitcoin is strong enough.

In a global economic crash Bitcoin may become even more important.

Bitcoin can be adapted to support larger amounts of transactions just be increasing the block size. The only reason it's not being increased is politics. It can be increased.

Bitcoin as it is now is not decentralized, that is a myth. Bitcoin is centralized because of chip makers who control the hashing power of the network. Asics centralize Bitcoin and the only way to decentralize it would be to randomize the hashing algorithm so that it's unpredictable and a monopoly cannot form.

Jaimmin

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 08:02:32 AM

"In a global economic crash Bitcoin may become even more important.

Bitcoin can be adapted to support larger amounts of transactions just be increasing the block size. The only reason it's not being increased is politics. It can be increased.

Bitcoin as it is now is not decentralized, that is a myth. Bitcoin is centralized because of chip makers who control the hashing power of the network. Asics centralize Bitcoin and the only way to decentralize it would be to randomize the hashing algorithm so that it's unpredictable and a monopoly cannot form."

Can anybody else confirm the above!
sshapiroNJ

Activity: 55

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 08:45:17 AM

Bitcoin as it is now is not decentralized, that is a myth. Bitcoin is centralized because of chip makers who control the hashing power of the network. Asics centralize Bitcoin and the only way to decentralize it would be to randomize the hashing algorithm so that it's unpredictable and a monopoly cannot form."

First, why don't you use 'Insert Quote' function
Second, it's just a view - that shouldn't be actually confirmed. It's not a forecast. However I agree that it's not decentralized now but I am not sure it is quite strong to handle with global crisis if it would happen.
Jaimmin

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:54:24 PM

Second, it's just a view - that shouldn't be actually confirmed. It's not a forecast. However I agree that it's not decentralized now but I am not sure it is quite strong to handle with global crisis if it would happen.

Did I get it right with the 'Insert Quote' function!
Just testing...
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:58:07 PM

Did I get it right with the 'Insert Quote' function!
Just testing...

Naturally, if something terrible happens, people will run for the easiest and most obvious solution. BitCoin would be the answer. This is a possible way  of BitCoin replacing fiat.
justanickname (OP)

Activity: 157

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:27:27 AM

In a global economic crash Bitcoin may become even more important.

Bitcoin as it is now is not decentralized, that is a myth. Bitcoin is centralized because of chip makers who control the hashing power of the network. Asics centralize Bitcoin and the only way to decentralize it would be to randomize the hashing algorithm so that it's unpredictable and a monopoly cannot form.

So dont you thinks that it will be a problem if blocks are too big to have a node on your PC?
If the blocks are too big you need a third party to be able to spend your bitcoin which is a big failure to the whole bitcoin idea.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:39:27 AM

Bitcoin is not centralized. That would be similiar to stating the video card companies were the central issuing agency when video cards were used to mine.

However, in the case of a global economic crash, bitcoin would be really the only way to easily move wealth from one place to another. I couldn't imagine carrying a pocket of gold dust with me, or mailing someone a gold coin in order to purchase distant items...

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
conbos

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:39:54 AM

IMHO, PoW (mining) is very problematic and, although it was a elegant solution to give value and avoid inflation; it turns to be expensive and can centralize the coin, by monopolizing the mining. Probably, in the scenario proposed, the whole BTC idea will evolve and maybe, some features of BTC will remain and other will change. It can be the case that 2nd generation cryptocurrencies (e.g., NXT), which have some soluitons to this problems, start to be more attractive

New Economy Movement (N.E.M.) Supporter
http://www.ournem.com
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:36:09 PM

The protocol is resilient and scalable enough to handle the extra flow

But aren't we getting ahead of ourselves here?

vleroybrown

Activity: 1143
Merit: 506

This is who we are.

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:41:04 PM

Survive to the current crash, and we'll talk about it later... okay?
Crash you call this current fiasco a crash..
hostmaster

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 02:45:14 PM

I believe Bitcoin developed for a solution to this economic world which is posinoed by banks. It'sonly getting better with Bitcoin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: