Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:03:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Somebody mining with solar panels or wind turbines?  (Read 1188 times)
SaRmY (OP)

Activity: 645
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:09:09 PM

Like the electricity price in Spain is abusive ($ 0,25 Kw/h) i'm thinking invest in renewable energy for mining LTC with GPu's.
At present I pay for 1,2 Kw/h (700 Kw month) more than $ 200 month and the net profits are only $ 110.
Some expert could recommend what it's more viable buy solar panels or windturbines.
The budget is about $ 6000 sufficient to generate 2 Kw/h constantly.
In my village the wind day average are about 12mph and the total  hours yearly sunny are about 2800.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
td204

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:19:44 PM

You might want to check out the following:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233771.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76809.msg854205#msg854205
http://randomcontent.wolfnexus.net/RandomSite/solar-powering-a-raspberry-pi-for-bitcoin-mining/
Miner_LTC_BTC

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:25:59 PM

I can't help with wind, but about solar:

Sunny hours are not sufficient, you need to know your Insolation. Some approximation can be made of this graph http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SolarGIS-Solar-map-Europe-en.png
Total photovoltaic pharm efficiency is about 15%, so if you have the insolation (on m2) multiply it by 0,15 and you have power which can be made by your solar system within 1 year, using 1 m2.
The problem is - mining any crypto need stable energy, so you can't use solar energy (what about nigh?).

So in my opinion producing electric power from "green" energy is a topic for some other forum (which is specifically about that), because it isn't really connected with mining.
You can easily mine without using green energy and produce green energy without mining Wink.
SaRmY (OP)

Activity: 645

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:27:35 PM

Shocked Thanks a lot for the info
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 09:40:04 PM

First, you need to finish a high school. In higher grades they explain what is energy and what is power. This will help you to understand what people from solar company tell you before setting up your system. And also, you will understand, that units Kw/h have no physical sense.

lmontrose

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:46:45 PM

cost to much to set this up. unless you can get free panels.  But where??

Like the electricity price in Spain is abusive ($ 0,25 Kw/h) i'm thinking invest in renewable energy for mining LTC with GPu's.
At present I pay for 1,2 Kw/h (700 Kw month) more than $ 200 month and the net profits are only $ 110.
Some expert could recommend what it's more viable buy solar panels or windturbines.
In my village the wind day average are about 12mph and the total  hours yearly sunny are about 2800.
macintosh

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 09:47:08 PM

I have 3 solar panels they already paid themselves off last year, I love them Smiley
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 09:48:46 PM

Sunny hours are not sufficient, you need to know your Insolation. Some approximation can be made of this graph http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SolarGIS-Solar-map-Europe-en.png
Total photovoltaic pharm efficiency is about 15%, so if you have the insolation (on m2) multiply it by 0,15 and you have power which can be made by your solar system within 1 year, using 1 m2.

There is actually no need to go through such complications. Solar panels on sale are usually rated by their nominal power, i.e. maximum power which they produce under direct sunlight at normal temperature. All you need to know is a number of effective sunny hours for your area.

Red_Wolf_2

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:21:02 AM

The last one with the Raspberry Pi is my site. I've just added another whole page doing some of the napkin math regarding efficiencies and power usage. Looks like I'm going to need some more panels and batteries to run reliably!

EDIT: Heres the new section - http://randomcontent.wolfnexus.net/RandomSite/solar-powering-a-raspberry-pi-for-bitcoin-mining/solar-powering-a-raspberry-pi-for-bitcoin-mining-part-2/

Don't think I've made any mistakes in my math, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Probably should put something here.... Maybe an LTC address?
LeNdJidEvsyogSu2KbC1u3bfJSdcjACFsF
Red_Wolf_2

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 11:47:40 AM

The last one with the Raspberry Pi is my site. I've just added another whole page doing some of the napkin math regarding efficiencies and power usage. Looks like I'm going to need some more panels and batteries to run reliably!

EDIT: Heres the new section - http://randomcontent.wolfnexus.net/RandomSite/solar-powering-a-raspberry-pi-for-bitcoin-mining/solar-powering-a-raspberry-pi-for-bitcoin-mining-part-2/

Don't think I've made any mistakes in my math, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Well, I now have my BFL Jalapeno ASICs mining on solar power. I brought them online five or six hours ago and so far they have been stable while running mostly on the charged battery. Also gathered some data on direct power consumption, and ways of recovering degraded sealed lead-acid batteries (yes, it happens!)
So, here is part three! Enjoy! Any queries or comments, feel free to ask here or on the comments section on the page.
http://randomcontent.wolfnexus.net/RandomSite/solar-powering-a-raspberry-pi-for-bitcoin-mining/solar-powering-a-raspberry-pi-for-bitcoin-mining-part-3/

mastaZZ

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 12:22:41 PM

I think the best way to mine with green energy is having water power generator. You have continuous energy with this equipment while with sun/wind it all depends on weather - a river never stops to flow.
Red_Wolf_2

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 12:27:31 PM

I think the best way to mine with green energy is having water power generator. You have continuous energy with this equipment while with sun/wind it all depends on weather - a river never stops to flow.

Sadly they definitely do stop flowing where I am... Its a very hot dry country in summer time!

A combination of wind and solar would probably work well, but I suspect my neighbours would get upset at a big wind turbine in my yard...

hyperpac

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 02:43:08 PM

Like the electricity price in Spain is abusive ($ 0,25 Kw/h)

Well if you already call that abusive...in Germany it´s around 0,36 $ (differs a bit as the market is big and the overall household income is higher but anyway).

You may check this out for your solar needs: http://www.suninvention.com/

They offer "plug-in" solar modules, which can be attached to your normal house / flat electricy (be sure that an electrician does it). Everytime the sound shines, solar energy is produced and reduces your costs (theoretically your power meter will turn backwards if you have many modules and lots of sun).

I think it´s a cheaper alternative then a fixed installation and it´s much cheaper.
dr-tomsawyer

Activity: 8
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 03:34:09 PM

Hi
What you need is an on-grid solar installation.

It’s a solar panel + a micro-inverter. The cost of such an installation is 1 euro /watt.

During the day you produce electricity that you use immediately (no battery). During the night you use the electricity from your electricity provider.
If you put batteries you have to multiple by 2 the price of the installation and it becomes a much more complex installation.
twkasun7

Activity: 116
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 06:17:32 PM

If you have enough sunlight ,i think solar panels will be good option.Here sri Lanka Solar panels are the most effective method.

●● ● Me\/u ● ●● BET ON ANYTHING, ANYTIME, AGAINST ANYONE ●● ● Me\/u ● ●● (https://www.mevu.bet/)
Midcrypto

Activity: 85

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 07:07:44 PM

Unfortunately the power produced by solar and wind energy just are not efficient enough to really financially justify using. However, hydro power can be mega efficient and produced locally almost anywhere with even the smallest amount of water flow. There are numerous different designs/products for drop in hydro turbines that can be purchased for less than $1000.
nthere

Activity: 229
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 09:42:00 PM

This is a nice idea but It will turn out an expensive hobby for sure. Solar panels, mining equipments are really expensive.
bazzais

Activity: 22

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 10:33:30 PM

I had solar panels fitted on my roof when the UK government were paying for full feed in tariff for the next 25 years.

I had 3.2kw fitted on the roof and the government pays me around £1000 a year to feed excess energy back in to the grid - although its based on panel output not what is actually exported - so its a no brainer for me to use every bit of excess power produced here and now with nothing going back to the grid at all as I get paid either way.

Without this - mining would be unprofitable at todays coin/token prices.

In winter I wont mind having the rigs running in the night as it will heat the house. But at the moment in the summer they get turned off in the night as its unprofitable to run them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: