April 18, 2024, 03:11:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: ZEITCOIN
https://zeit-coin.net
https://zeit-knights.slack.com
https://t.me/zeit_coin

Pages: « 1 ... 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 [401] 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 ... 861 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ★ ZEIT ★ [COMMUNITY & KNIGHTS] [ULTRA LOW INFLATION] [MICRO-PAYMENTS]  (Read 1009202 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (3 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
bumblebee33

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 07:39:53 PM

Lots of people have been exposed to information about openssl vulnerabilities in the last couple days. Particularly since the detailed response from the bitcoin devs was released. The threat is miniscule to non-existant, but the solution is already available. The reluctance of zeitcoin devs to simply recompile the wallet with an updated openssl library is mind boggling. This is a young coin and people are gauging the effectiveness of each coin's dev team based on their response to this issue.

Fix it. Release updated wallet. Bask in praise.

Don't fix it and tell everyone to get bent and compile their own wallet and people will bail. Not exactly what this coin needs at this time.

Zeitcoin devs are not exactly inspiring confidence.

+1

This is super urgent - and the average Joe should not need to do that by himself. Please dev fix it and update the wallet asap.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gimmezeit

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

Have a ZEIT, have a kitkat.

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 07:44:42 PM

Lots of people have been exposed to information about openssl vulnerabilities in the last couple days. Particularly since the detailed response from the bitcoin devs was released. The threat is miniscule to non-existant, but the solution is already available. The reluctance of zeitcoin devs to simply recompile the wallet with an updated openssl library is mind boggling. This is a young coin and people are gauging the effectiveness of each coin's dev team based on their response to this issue.

Don't fix it and tell everyone to get bent and compile their own wallet and people will bail. Not exactly what this coin needs at this time.

+1

This is super urgent - and the average Joe should not need to do that by himself. Please dev fix it and update the wallet asap.

To sum it up.
"Please make useless updates to make the average joe feel better."

Even if it looks like it. >> I'm NOT THE DEV <<
-
This was useful? Glad to be of help! Smiley Share some ZEIT? MduTKn3TKpzU9NoAHTBchzAtscFN8HFjXz
bumblebee33

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 07:51:47 PM

+1

To sum it up.

Are you serious? I am certainly not the average Joe (computer knowledge wise), but even I don't know how to compile a wallet. Out of 100 ordinary people you find lurking around here, how many do you think know how to compile a windows wallet? And I don't think besides being a mom to 3 small kids, I need to worry about learning on how to compile a windows wallet to make me and my investment feel safe again.

And useless? If it was so useless, why is the whole internet and especially the crypto scene all over it?
Rent_a_Ray
Legendary

Activity: 1306
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 07:56:38 PM

Please, don't panic.

Mac and Windows wallets have OpenSSL included with their binaries. Linux distros use environment SSL.
Only linux users should update their SSL manually (if they want, it is not needed for the wallet, BUT for everything else)
Mac users can settle back, if they're using our official wallet.
Exchanges MUST have an eye on their SSL Version.

Windows Wallet will get an update in the next few hours.
But again - this SSL issue is a global problem. Keep cool - Better to check your online banking etc..

Greets,
Ray

gimmezeit

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 08:02:13 PM

+1

To sum it up.

Are you serious? I am certainly not the average Joe (computer knowledge wise), but even I don't know how to compile a wallet. Out of 100 ordinary people you find lurking around here, how many do you think know how to compile a windows wallet? And I don't think besides being a mom to 3 small kids, I need to worry about learning on how to compile a windows wallet to make me and my investment feel safe again.

And useless? If it was so useless, why is the whole internet and especially the crypto scene all over it?

Because nobody uses the feature (as i explained above) in a zeit wallet. It has no use.

Hence: update = useless

As Lion said. Every other software on a machine is at risk if it uses SSL crypto. But not your wallet.

-
This was useful? Glad to be of help! Smiley Share some ZEIT? MduTKn3TKpzU9NoAHTBchzAtscFN8HFjXz
bumblebee33

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 08:02:51 PM

Please, don't panic.

Mac and Windows wallets have OpenSSL included with their binaries. Linux distros use environment SSL.
Only linux users should update their SSL manually (if they want, it is not needed for the wallet, BUT for everything else)

But again - this SSL issue is a global problem. Keep cool - Better to check your online banking etc..

Greets,
Ray

Thank you for your response.
solarion

Activity: 966
Merit: 513

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 08:03:07 PM

+1

To sum it up.

sigh

another coin fails

GET PR HELP GUYS. Don't let arrogant tech nerds handle PR. It just alienates people.
gimmezeit

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 08:04:48 PM

+1

To sum it up.

sigh

another coin fails

GET PR HELP GUYS.

The target audience of this coin does not respond well to PR.

-
bumblebee33

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 08:06:40 PM

+1

To sum it up.

Because nobody uses the feature (as i explained above) in a zeit wallet. It has no use.

Hence: update = useless

As Lion said. Every other software on a machine is at risk if it uses SSL crypto. But not your wallet.

Even if it is useless, right now all coins get ranked on certain threads on how active the development team is - in context if they updated their wallet to the latest safe openssl version. Plus new investors might have heard of the heartbleed bug and might check the openssl wallet version before they commit into buying and investing into a coin.
solarion

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 08:08:43 PM

Even if it is useless, right now all coins get ranked on certain threads on how active the development team is - in context if they updated their wallet to the latest safe openssl version. Plus new investors might have heard of the heartbleed bug and might check the openssl wallet version before they commit into buying and investing into a coin.

Precisely why the tech guys should be the tech guys and the cooler(less arrogant) guys should handle interfacing with the public.
Rent_a_Ray
Legendary

Activity: 1306
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 08:13:17 PM

Please, don't panic.

Greets,
Ray

Thank you for your response.

Welcome. And always remember, next SSL version could has further hidden backdoors. NSA maintains a lot of open source programmers - i am sure ;-)
solarion

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 10:26:22 PM

Hey someone helped me to shore up the mintpal wall. Wink

High five!
angryacorn

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 01:18:12 AM

any ideas on the drop in bitcoin? was slowly going up and now bam huge drop!
solarion

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 01:35:54 AM

China banned btc...again. They do that every day it seems.

Aussie banks are also kicking btc while it's down.
stevegreer
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Official Zeitcoin community ambassador

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 01:39:59 AM

There's an article linked on coinflation.com that talks about the desires of certain people (global elite/bankers no doubt) that want to establish regulations for Bitcoin too. If they are successful, altcoins won't be too far behind.

itechnoguy

Activity: 64

iTechnoguy

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 07:26:44 AM

Don't worry
The coin is the product of the era, countries do not recognize they are necessary, because the country cannot benefit from!
 Smiley

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
Free Distribution! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS.BSYbd3Cnedqr6b7k8dxhUgRymM8dUpvD5P
LionOfNarnia

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

Crypto-missionary to the Kingdom of Rhegged

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 10:39:51 AM

Don't worry
The coin is the product of the era, countries do not recognize they are necessary, because the country cannot benefit from!
 Smiley

So true.

The very existence of alt-coins is a real, and growing threat to the status quo.

Until the birth of bitcoin, it was not even possible to consider such a direct challenge. To attempt to produce any form of 'coinage' independently of 'official' currencies would have been an invitation to rapid arrest & prosecution. Perhaps even execution, in some parts of the world!

For me, the supreme irony of the current situation is that - even though most alt-coiners would probably admit if pressed that they are 'in it' for no other reason whatsoever than trying to make a little 'extra' money to use in the real world - by the simple act of taking part in this brave new world they have actually become revolutionaries, foot-soldiers in the war against the stranglehold of the global banks & their fiat currencies.

The bigger our world becomes, the more of a threat to the powers that be it becomes.

'They' have VASTLY greater resources - financial, politic, legal, etc - than 'we' do. Right now we are no more than a small cloud of flies buzzing around a herd of elephants, hardly even an annoyance to them. All they have to do is flap their ears and we are sent tumbling.

If our world stays small, we won't see any worse than we have seen in the last year - half-hearted 'slap-downs' from (especially) China & the Feds.

But, if we continue to grow as we have been, having more & more impact on their ability to monopolise the act of converting what we do into what we want & need, the 'attacks' against us will become more targeted, more vicious, more public -

- Just like what has happened to every fledgling religion in history!

Christianity, for example, only survived by being absorbed into the power structures they fought against, becoming a mere tool of the oppressors for the last 1600 years.

THAT is the real fight that's coming!

What are YOU doing to prepare for it?

Member of the UK Digital Currency Association * Bitrated user: LionOfNarnia. * Member of the ZeitKnights * Member of the Bytecent Community Team

"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"
LionOfNarnia

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

Crypto-missionary to the Kingdom of Rhegged

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 12:07:14 PM

Congratulations to "oakmaster" for becoming the 100th member of our community forum Grin

- and it isn't even a week old yet!

There are currently 465 posts in 81 topics. An AMAZING start.

As I see it, there are two major advantages to our community compared to here...

1) Important posts do not 'get lost' in the sheer amount of activity here, they are always there to view & discuss without having to hunt back pages & re-quote the whole thing just so everyone knows what you're talking about.

2) You can 'develop your character' there, share who you are & where you're coming from, becoming more of a human being & not just a username.

So what are you waiting for?

Member of the UK Digital Currency Association * Bitrated user: LionOfNarnia. * Member of the ZeitKnights * Member of the Bytecent Community Team

"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"
Chopes

Activity: 67

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 12:10:06 PM

Everything looks great you guys have really got everything ready for launch and exchange right at launch im in!

Yes
You are not going to quickly involved?
 Grin Grin

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BRFYUNMouJUvKjJAa1Nxpcj1N96ox3ibJZ
Chopes

Activity: 67

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 12:13:27 PM

If we can get openssl updated to block heartbleed bug and coin control features added to the Zeitcoin wallet I'll toss 5 BTC at that bid wall. Grin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=561464.0

Is the ZEITCOIN wallet also vulnerable to that? How can we fix it?

yes.

bribe the zeitcoin devs to update openssl version as many other coin devs have already done.

I think this issue is more important than fighting for keeping the price at a certain level right now. Please others chime in, and let's find out who and how to fix this vulnerability.

If coin value = 0 then who cares if there's a heartbleed exploit in the wallet? Everybody wants a stable price and a secure wallet. Not sure why the zeitcoin devs haven't addressed this issue yet, or if they have how I missed it, but the wallet version I'm running now has vulnerable openssl code.
告诉你一个新的消息,也许你们看不懂中文。有个来自中国的矿工,手上持有大概17亿的zeitcoin ,但是他的电力是不需要花钱的,用的国家的电无需缴费。
他可能会在这2天内 瞬间把mintpal和 cryptsy所有的买单全部砸掉。。。。价格会归零。

tell you a new message, perhaps you cannot read Chinese. One from the China miners, holding about 1700000000 of zeitcoin, but his power does not need the money, with the national electricity without pay.
He may be in the 2 days for the mintpal and cryptsy all pay all cost.... The price will be zero.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BRFYUNMouJUvKjJAa1Nxpcj1N96ox3ibJZ
Pages: « 1 ... 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 [401] 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 ... 861 »
  Print  

Jump to: