Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:40:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGOX SUBPOENAED BY US PROSECUTOR  (Read 4548 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 06:48:32 AM

Records subpoenaed?  Well, no shit!  Who didn't see this coming a few quarters ago?

Karpeles should have just handed them over to Vessenes some quarters ago and walked away with whatever money he could get.  The end result is the same.  Vessenes (the chairman of the board of the Bitcoin Foundation) has been hot for coin tracking since forever, and Mt. Gox's dataset is where it all begins.

I, in fact, only started having some respect for Karpeles when it looked like he smelled a rat in the Coinlab deal and balked.  Unfortunately I lost a lot of that respect when he stuck me for the $5k that I put at risk as a system probe of sorts.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
anth0ny

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 06:59:51 AM

"Your point which I disagreed with was that there have to be charges (or a civil case) before there's a subpoena."

Actually, I think I qualified my statement by saying "I think" or something to that effect.  But whatever, it's all good and I learned a little something about Grand Jury Subpoenas (which is cool). The purpose of my initial post was to raise the possibility that Gox/Mk may not be the direct targets of the alleged subpoena (i.e., that the subpoena is related to another case). I believe you actually agreed with this.

Yes, I do. On the other hand, in May 2013 it is was reported that Gox was already being accused of criminal wrongdoing.

Whether the particular subpoena that was supposedly received in February 2014 was related to this, or some new investigation of Gox, or one of Gox's customers, or something else altogether, we don't know.

Suggestion: next time, say "why" you disagree instead of asserting it without any explanation.  That'll save us time in getting to the right answer.

"You agree that grand juries issue subpoenas before a person is charged, right?"

"Subpoenas often come before someone is charged with a crime."

I made those two statements pretty early on.
JudgeHearst

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 07:10:28 AM

"Your point which I disagreed with was that there have to be charges (or a civil case) before there's a subpoena."

Actually, I think I qualified my statement by saying "I think" or something to that effect.  But whatever, it's all good and I learned a little something about Grand Jury Subpoenas (which is cool). The purpose of my initial post was to raise the possibility that Gox/Mk may not be the direct targets of the alleged subpoena (i.e., that the subpoena is related to another case). I believe you actually agreed with this.

Yes, I do. On the other hand, in May 2013 it is was reported that Gox was already being accused of criminal wrongdoing.

Whether the particular subpoena that was supposedly received in February 2014 was related to this, or some new investigation of Gox, or one of Gox's customers, or something else altogether, we don't know.

Suggestion: next time, say "why" you disagree instead of asserting it without any explanation.  That'll save us time in getting to the right answer.

"You agree that grand juries issue subpoenas before a person is charged, right?"

"Subpoenas often come before someone is charged with a crime."

I made those two statements pretty early on.

I don't have much knowledge of Bitcoin before this fall (the season; no pun intended), but I'll take a look at that article.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your first reply was something like, "that's completely incorrect." I would have been more inclined to double check my answer earlier had you said: 'that's not correct. Subpoenas can come before someone is charged with a crime.'  In any case, good talking with you.  
anth0ny

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 07:23:48 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your first reply was something like, "that's completely incorrect." I would have been more inclined to double check my answer earlier had you said: 'that's not correct. Subpoenas can come before someone is charged with a crime.'

They can come before civil suits too, at least if the civil suit is initiated by an administrative agency.

And they can come during the course of Congressional hearings which aren't related to a civil suit or a crime.

I'm not sure just alluding to grand jury subpoenas would have been as accurate as saying that you were just completely incorrect.

If I had known that your experience with subpoenas had come solely from dealing with civil suits as an attorney, then maybe I could have been more specific, but I didn't know at first what you were talking about.

In any case, good talking with you.  

Thanks.
ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 08:13:47 AM

Welcome to the Bitcoin Inquisition.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: