Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:52:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we move the multibit subboard to archival?  (Read 190 times)
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 06:41:09 PM
Merited by Jet Cash (2), OgNasty (1)

Since it is possible to still download this wallet, and as far as I understand it, the updates for this wallet stopped quite a long time ago (it might even be a year since they stopped updating it). This means there will be a large number of security flaws in the software and it was said to be riddled with bugs at that point so it's not a great idea to have the wallet still being advertised to unsuspecting newbies who will download a client that isn't very secure...
Also the board is fairly inactive now so it makes sense to scrap it and anyone with issues can post in the main alternative clients section like they do with other wallets that don't have support like jaxx and the hardware wallets.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 07:07:21 PM

Since it is possible to still download this wallet, and as far as I understand it, the updates for this wallet stopped quite a long time ago (it might even be a year since they stopped updating it). This means there will be a large number of security flaws in the software and it was said to be riddled with bugs at that point so it's not a great idea to have the wallet still being advertised to unsuspecting newbies who will download a client that isn't very secure...
What about the people who are still using the wallet? Should they have any queries, where would be the right place for them to seek help? The old posts on that board would still be helpful..

Also the board is fairly inactive now so it makes sense to scrap it and anyone with issues can post in the main alternative clients section like they do with other wallets that don't have support like jaxx and the hardware wallets.
Maybe they can just make the board as read-only. It's not about posting new issues but existing posts in that thread would still server a relevant reference to the redundant issues. Additionally, a stickie should be made on that board to discontinue the usage of that wallet along with better alternatives.
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 07:13:30 PM

What about the people who are still using the wallet? Should they have any queries, where would be the right place for them to seek help? The old posts on that board would still be helpful..
I covered this in my post. In the same place that people with hardware wallets post (the main board for alternative clients) HCP and TryNinja (I think) are familiar with multibit so they could continue helping people there (amongst other users).

Maybe they can just make the board as read-only. It's not about posting new issues but existing posts in that thread would still server a relevant reference to the redundant issues. Additionally, a stickie should be made on that board to discontinue the usage of that wallet along with better alternatives.
But it's still advertising the wallet which we don't want because then more people try to use a discontinued wallet file.
The stickie could point to the general thread that lauda made on choosing a bitcoin wallet.
I thought all users can access that archival board anyway?
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6099

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 09:11:43 PM

It's fair to say that people had enough time. I made this thread 10 months ago: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2293714.0 saying that the section will eventually be archived.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12880

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 10:19:28 PM

Done. If people are having issues with eg. getting BTC out of an old MultiBit wallet, it'd be appropriate to post this in Bitcoin Technical Support.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 11:37:45 PM

Done. If people are having issues with eg. getting BTC out of an old MultiBit wallet, it'd be appropriate to post this in Bitcoin Technical Support.

Thanks Theymos!

It's fair to say that people had enough time. I made this thread 10 months ago: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2293714.0 saying that the section will eventually be archived.
I noticed that thread but there wasn't any others that mentioned it in their subject, anyway it's sorted now Smiley.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: