Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:24:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt.Gox being subpoenaed = freezing of withdrawals and site shutdown?  (Read 2081 times)
Notanon (OP)

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 03:28:01 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2014, 04:29:30 AM by Notanon

http://www.businessinsider.com/report-mtgox-subpoenaed-by-us-prosecutor-2014-2

Note the wording "An unnamed source tells him simply that federal prosecutors sent the subpoena this month." Suddenly makes a whole lot of sense why Mark Karpeles clammed up and froze all withdrawals and was not able to comment on what was going on, particularly if it was just sent prior to the lockdown.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
terrapinflyer

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:26:09 AM

Interesting theory.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:41:13 AM

makes me laugh.

the OP refers to business insider

business insider refers to wall street journal

wall street journal refers to an unnamed source

well if wall street journal cant find actual legal details from which ever court is involved. and has to rely on a anonymous source..

.... then i call bullshit until i see actual factual information.

i hate chinese whisper games

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Notanon (OP)

Activity: 388

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:59:07 AM

Or I'm joining the dots based on other pieces, like last night's chat log, and reading other things between the lines like the announcement of the coins being frozen and so forth. The more I think about this, the more credible this theory sounds. The whole "He took off with our monies" angle comes across as more tenuous now.

Would be nice if the date the subpoena was received by Mt.Gox was confirmed to be either the same day as, or the day before, the withdrawals were frozen.
zipmaster

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:02:43 AM

If 750k coins are missing, he definitely ran off with some!
btbrae

Activity: 680

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:05:18 AM

Related: Japan authorities looking into closure of Mt. Gox bitcoin exchange

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101446338
Skoupi

Activity: 252

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:05:40 AM

What coins are you guys even talk about? If the leaked draft is true then there aren't any coins left...
terrapinflyer

Activity: 602

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:15:19 AM

What coins are you guys even talk about? If the leaked draft is true then there aren't any coins left...

That "leaked" doc is not from an internal source. Have you read it? If that was an internal doc they language would be much different. Not to mention that Mark already said its not from Gox but is "more or less" accurate. If he in fact was in legal trouble he would not be discussing specifics on numbers hence the vague answer.

Im not saying that Im buying this theory but like I said, it is interesting.
Joaoha

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:25:37 AM

Megaupload 2.0?

And if it is, we might be facing the First "direct" government/authorities attack on Bitcoin...
Skoupi

Activity: 252

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:40:11 AM

Not to mention that Mark already said its not from Gox but is "more or less" accurate.

When you comment on a paper that says that you 've lost 700000 bitcoins, you don't answer with "more or less" unless it is true.
Well at least this is what my little brain can think  Tongue
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 05:42:36 AM

Megaupload 2.0?

And if it is, we might be facing the First "direct" government/authorities attack on Bitcoin...

Well, so many wanted Bitcoin to go "public" and now it has..................

Have a nice day!

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 07:23:38 AM

Related: Japan authorities looking into closure of Mt. Gox bitcoin exchange

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101446338
Right. "At this stage the relevant financial authorities, the police, the Finance Ministry and others are gathering information on the case," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a regular news conference when asked about Tuesday's shutdown of the Tokyo-based exchange.

This is a very big deal. Yoshihide Suga is the #2 man in the Government of Japan. That's the job that usually leads to becoming Premier. There's no comparable job in the U.S. Government, but if there were, it would be Vice President+Press Secretary+White House Chief of Staff. If he says the police and the finance ministry are gathering information, he's not just commenting, he's giving orders. Those ministries report to him.
illpoet

Activity: 341

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 07:29:02 AM

yeah i bet karpeles been pooping his pants since they indicted shrem.  but he did say that 700k bitcoin missing was more or less legit.  There is no more or less legit. There is either legit, or not legit.  Thats the point.  So i'm thinking they screwed up and somebody made of with a big fat sack of bitcoins. now marks gonna go to jail. poor bastard.

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 08:23:05 AM

Megaupload 2.0?

Well, so many wanted Bitcoin to go "public" and now it has..................

Have a nice day!

My $.02.

Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 08:40:23 AM

Bloomberg: "Bitcoin Holders Resigned to Losses as Mt. Gox Faces Japan Probe"

"The Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department is in talks with Mt. Gox customers after it received inquiries from them, a police official said by phone, asking not to be named in accordance with department policy."

"Karl-Friedrich Lenz, a law professor at Tokyo’s Aoyama Gakuin University and a Mt. Gox customer, said the events at the exchange stem from the regulatory vacuum. “The Mt. Gox case is a good example of what happens if you ignore existing Japanese law requiring a bank license for taking deposits,” said Lenz, adding that he has a “small amount” at the exchange."

So it's starting to look like Mt. Gox was not complying with the laws in Japan for taking deposits. So when they went broke, it's crime, not just bankruptcy. If you lost money in Mt. Gox, it's time to contact the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department and get your complaint in.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:29:35 AM

this was a thinly veiled notice to Mark to get out of there and that the loop was closing

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: