Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:28:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions on information on blockchain  (Read 593 times)
papamoi (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 02:31:24 PM

hi guys
i have a technical question

let s say i have a wallet on my pc with one adress ,let s name it adress A

While typing this adress A in the blockchain.info website, i m not getting the total amount available in my wallet

so what does this mean?

i have several adresses in one wallet , and i m sure to have used the adress A for every of my transactions

What should  have  gone wrong ?

thanks

"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 03:12:48 PM

hi guys
i have a technical question

let s say i have a wallet on my pc with one adress ,let s name it adress A

While typing this adress A in the blockchain.info website, i m not getting the total amount available in my wallet

so what does this mean?

i have several adresses in one wallet , and i m sure to have used the adress A for every of my transactions

What should  have  gone wrong ?

thanks

Blockchain.info does not know how many bitcoins are in your wallet.  It only knows how many bitcoins are associated with each address.  It is unable to determine which addresses your wallet controls. A wallet is a collection of many addresses and the total in the wallet is the sum of all the bitcoins at all the addresses.  Whenever you send a transaction, your wallet sends the "change" from the transaction back to an address that it controls. If you are using Bitcoin-Qt, then you are not able to control which addresses your wallet chooses for the "change". Bitcoin-Qt will usually create a brand new address for the "change" and keep that address hidden from you.  The address still exists in your wallet, it just isn't displayed in the "Receive" section (or anywhere in the user interface).

If you are using Bitcoin-Qt and want to see all the coins you have and which address they are associated with, run the following command in the "Console" of the "Debug Window" under the "Help" menu:

Code:
listunspent
papamoi (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 03:45:25 PM

so you mean that behind the adresss A there is 100 of adresses wich are not seen on the main qt transactions and adresses?

when typing the commande listunspent i ve discovered some adresses i ve never given to anyone

so how the btc has arrived there?

thanks
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:16:40 PM

thanks

I think I explained that?  What part of the explanation didn't you understand?

Whenever you send a transaction, your wallet sends the "change" from the transaction back to an address that it controls. If you are using Bitcoin-Qt, then you are not able to control which addresses your wallet chooses for the "change". Bitcoin-Qt will usually create a brand new address for the "change" and keep that address hidden from you.  The address still exists in your wallet, it just isn't displayed in the "Receive" section (or anywhere in the user interface).
papamoi (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:09:41 PM

thanks

I think I explained that?  What part of the explanation didn't you understand?

Whenever you send a transaction, your wallet sends the "change" from the transaction back to an address that it controls. If you are using Bitcoin-Qt, then you are not able to control which addresses your wallet chooses for the "change". Bitcoin-Qt will usually create a brand new address for the "change" and keep that address hidden from you.  The address still exists in your wallet, it just isn't displayed in the "Receive" section (or anywhere in the user interface).
[/quote

ok now i ve got you

i ve tried to follow the btc and it seems the wallet have created two other adresses for finalising one transaction

so the change as you call it is a complete randon figure or does it correspond to specific calculations or algos?

thanks for your patience
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:40:09 PM

so the change as you call it is a complete randon figure or does it correspond to specific calculations or algos?

The way that bitcoin protocol works, you can't partially spend the output that you received in a previous transaction.  It has to be either completely spent, or not spent at all.

So for example:

You create a brand new wallet and receive 4 transactions sending your the following amounts...

• 0.5 BTC
  • 1.0 BTC
  • 0.25 BTC
  • 0.75 BTC

Next you choose to send 1.1 BTC to someone.

Your wallet has to choose from the unspent previously received outputs.

Perhaps it chooses the 1.0 BTC output and the 0.25 BTC output.

This supplies 1.25 in value to the transaction.

Then the wallet creates an output to send 1.1 bitcoin to your intended recipient.

This leaves 0.15 BTC unaccounted for.  If the wallet does nothing more, then the 0.15 BTC is considered a "transaction fee" which the miner that confirms the transaction can claim for themselves.  If you don't want to pay a 0.15 BTC transaction fee, then you need to send this "change" back into your wallet with an additional output in the transaction.
papamoi (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 06:07:11 PM

ok so basically it ll depend on the latest btc arrived and  the difference or excess on it will return back

ok it s clear now

thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: