Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:08:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: trezor or ledger nano for a beginner ?...  (Read 427 times)
Sinone

Activity: 597
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2018, 04:31:46 PM

There is no doubt both are quite secure and provide the best security. I would like to suggest you Ledger Nano S which is very easy to manage and a little bit less costly than trezor. So buy according to your choice which one you feel good.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thecryptodesigner
Copper Member

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

13 years XP in UX for FinTech, eCommerce & Crypto

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2018, 04:32:58 PM

Using keepkey and don't have any problems. Just a bit laggy when you're sending payments.

BlockGroup

Activity: 38
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 14, 2018, 06:01:11 PM

i am new and need something more secure than bitcoin core to store my funds, what is a better option for me trezor or ledger nano ?!...

also how to use the wallet to send funds to a BTC address, do i have to manually write it on the screen or what  Huh Sad

Both are pretty much the standard when it comes to Hardware wallets and you cannot go wrong with either. Some people I know go for Trezor as it is supporting open source software and you can make your own clone from their code.
Adriano2010

Activity: 1414
Merit: 516

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2018, 10:07:30 PM

I started with ledger nano and i still use ledger nano hardware wallets, maybe you can check youtube reviews and see what can be the best option for you. I never had any problem with ledger, and all coins are safely stored and also support is ok, and now with ledger software is more easy to install wallets or updates.
larkinvain

Activity: 1120
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 16, 2018, 08:35:15 AM

This two hardware wallet is the best hardware wallet for security purposes. There is no need to worry about their service they will make sure your assets security no one will be able to snatch your private keys or information. Ledger nano S or Trezor both are enough good.
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2018, 02:14:04 PM

It terms of security, one generally unknown feature is that both of these hardware wallets also provide a way of having secret wallets protected by the device. It is an advanced feature, and you are warned to be very careful when using this feature, but the basic idea is that, if you are forced to reveal your wallet protective pin, you can reveal just one of the access codes, while keeping you main assets hidden (see https://wiki.trezor.io/Multi-passphrase_encryption_(hidden_wallets) and/or https://support.ledger.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005214529-Advanced-Passphrase-options).
TheBunting

Activity: 28
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 16, 2018, 06:39:33 PM

As someone that has been into Crypto since January this year, I am of very low experience when it comes to trading. I have used most of my time looking into the projects for certain currencies and what to look for in the project and its team that indicate green lights or red flags. The actual trading aspect of it I am definitely a beginner. However I bought a Ledger Nano S on Black Friday sale worried that it was gong to be a nighare to first, set up and get working, secondly use to hold my different coins.

However, after reading a few informative pages on the Ledger website and a single Youtube video, I had enough of an understanding on how to set it up and fully work the device. I am so glad I purchased one, I know that now the vast majority of my funds are in one of the safest wallets in the Crypto space. I fully recommend buying one as they arent as complicated as expected and they are rapidly adding support for more and more coins.

They are currently 30% off for Winter Sale right now so this is your oppertunity to purchase! Smiley good luck!
-Newera-

Activity: 196
Merit: 49

View Profile
December 16, 2018, 09:19:42 PM

I think the Ledger Nano S is easier and easier to understand for beginners. You have the option to save 5 coins at the same time in the ledger. There are also more possible. For this, however, the appropriate apps must be installed and uninstalled. The trezor is also a good option, but I think that the overall ledger performs better. This also supports more currencies than the Trezor.
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
December 16, 2018, 09:27:06 PM

You have the option to save 5 coins at the same time in the ledger. There are also more possible. For this, however, the appropriate apps must be installed and uninstalled.

Keep in mind that uninstalling apps won't result in loss of coins. The number of apps you can have installed at the same time depends on how much they are similar to each other (you will be able to keep more apps if they are forks of Bitcoin).

Honestly, I would go with Trezor. I had Ledger for about 8 months and I quickly got tired of wallet issues (sometimes transactions wouldn't load). They might have already fixed that since Ledger Live is already available, but as far as I know, Ledger still doesn't allow their users to use external nodes so if their nodes malfunction then their app becomes useless.
RustyBits

Activity: 64
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2019, 07:23:24 PM

i am new and need something more secure than bitcoin core to store my funds, what is a better option for me trezor or ledger nano ?!...

also how to use the wallet to send funds to a BTC address, do i have to manually write it on the screen or what  Huh Sad

I was looking back over some old threads where I had posted - this being one of them.  Since aliitp first posed the question back in August - I wonder if he/she has made any decisions by now?

Update on my August reply post - I am now regularly using the password manager feature on my Trezor and aside from a few quirks on a couple of sites - it is working quite well for me!

Visit GetPaid! for ways to earn money online - You won't Get Rich Quick... but you will GetPaid!
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2019, 08:38:20 PM

Ledger is coming out with a new product in March: Ledger Nano X. In order not to repeat myself (I posted a few features about it this morning), see re:best wallet. Could be interesting for those that are very mobile orientated, but I’ve yet to be convinced that the (... spoiler ...) Bluetooth can in no way turn into a vulnerability.
Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
January 07, 2019, 09:12:59 PM

Both of these wallets are great in the right hands.  I actually prefer the Trezor because of the open source design.  Open source will have more annoyances as "hackers" exploit the code (since they can see it) early on, but once the code is tried and true I feel better about using a product where millions of eyes are keeping touch!  There are valid arguments in the other direction.  I have never lost a coin using either wallet.

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
asche
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1489

I forgot more than you will ever know.

View Profile
January 07, 2019, 09:16:18 PM

Ledger is coming out with a new product in March: Ledger Nano X. In order not to repeat myself (I posted a few features about it this morning), see re:best wallet. Could be interesting for those that are very mobile orientated, but I’ve yet to be convinced that the (... spoiler ...) Bluetooth can in no way turn into a vulnerability.

As I said in another post, bluetooth like the USB connection is just the interface you use to access the secured chip.

It makes basically no difference what kind of connexion you use, be it usb, bluetooth, LTE, Serial, it really doesn't matter. The actual security is in obfuscating the private key.
Being used by bluetooth would made an INSECURE device more hackable.
If the device IS secure like Nano S seem to be, it will also be through bluetooth.

To me the X is a Nano S with more memory and a bluetooth chip.

Pretty nice spin off. I'd invest in a company like that. It's like when VW makes a new Golf out of an old Golf. 0 investment, and a lot of cash. Hooray.

Today Nano 6 is listed at 69€ in Ledger's official french shop/amazon.
They pretend price will get lowered when X comes out.
If there is no emergency, wait for cheap S when the X is publicly available.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2019, 11:54:47 PM

Both of these wallets are great in the right hands.  I actually prefer the Trezor because of the open source design.  Open source will have more annoyances as "hackers" exploit the code (since they can see it) early on, but once the code is tried and true I feel better about using a product where millions of eyes are keeping touch!  There are valid arguments in the other direction.  I have never lost a coin using either wallet.
Well, not all users will prefer Trezor as the best hardware wallet because Trezor wallet is hackable but they already fixed this issue so it is safe to use as of now but not 99% safe.

The best hardware wallet for me is Ledger Nano S never heard any issue about this wallet until now and I heard just now about their new Ledger Nano X which has new feature but I don't know how safe it is compared to Nano S.

As I said in another post, bluetooth like the USB connection is just the interface you use to access the secured chip.

It makes basically no difference what kind of connexion you use, be it usb, bluetooth, LTE, Serial, it really doesn't matter. The actual security is in obfuscating the private key.
Being used by bluetooth would made an INSECURE device more hackable.
If the device IS secure like Nano S seem to be, it will also be through bluetooth.

To me the X is a Nano S with more memory and a bluetooth chip.

I prefer to use USB compared to use a Bluetooth because I heard that you can receive a virus like "Airborne virus" even the device Bluetooth is off if your phone Bluetooth is on and the source of the virus is from other phones with Bluetooth off you can still receive a virus. I experienced this before with Nokia n70 and my nokia 6600. So I believe that Bluetooth is not a good interface for a crypto wallet.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
asche
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1489

I forgot more than you will ever know.

View Profile
January 08, 2019, 06:33:35 AM

You are comparing a secured chip you can't write in with a phone.

It's like comparing a car with a bunker because both have a door.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: