Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:04:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: trezor or ledger nano for a beginner ?...  (Read 427 times)
aliitp (OP)

Activity: 91
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 09:41:14 AM
Merited by eternalgloom (1)

i am new and need something more secure than bitcoin core to store my funds, what is a better option for me trezor or ledger nano ?!...

also how to use the wallet to send funds to a BTC address, do i have to manually write it on the screen or what  Huh Sad

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 09:48:45 AM

i am new and need something more secure than bitcoin core to store my funds, what is a better option for me trezor or ledger nano ?!...

also how to use the wallet to send funds to a BTC address, do i have to manually write it on the screen or what  Huh Sad

I personally think that the Ledger Nano S is more user friendly, as it supports more coins etc, but i think it really comes down to personal preference, and how much you want to pay. Ledger is ~120$ vs Trezor being ~100$, so there's really not that much difference there..

Read some reviews about the two maybe? https://blockonomi.com/trezor-vs-ledger/

also how to use the wallet to send funds to a BTC address, do i have to manually write it on the screen or what  Huh Sad

What exactly do you mean? From the wallet you currently have to your trezor/Ledger? You could just copy & paste the receiving adress for said coin on your hardware wallet ( ledger/trezor), and use that as the "send-to adress" in your current wallet.

(Always check if you copied the right adress, there have been instances where people lost their coins due to clipboard malware!)

boyptc

Activity: 2982
Merit: 678

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 10:03:32 AM

Actually both are good wallets but I personally use Ledger Nano S and it's even better because of their new update for their software the "Ledger Live".

You don't have to download each of their chrome app unlike before it is required for bitcoin, eth and altcoins.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
aliitp (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 10:39:36 AM

I personally think that the Ledger Nano S is more user friendly, as it supports more coins etc, but i think it really comes down to personal preference, and how much you want to pay. Ledger is ~120$ vs Trezor being ~100$, so there's really not that much difference there..

Read some reviews about the two maybe? https://blockonomi.com/trezor-vs-ledger/

What exactly do you mean? From the wallet you currently have to your trezor/Ledger? You could just copy & paste the receiving adress for said coin on your hardware wallet ( ledger/trezor), and use that as the "send-to adress" in your current wallet.

(Always check if you copied the right adress, there have been instances where people lost their coins due to clipboard malware!)

I think ill have to read more to understand how on earth can i send money from my ledger wallet to another address...
Alluro

Activity: 742
Merit: 19

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 11:17:59 AM

also how to use the wallet to send funds to a BTC address, do i have to manually write it on the screen or what  Huh Sad
You are a beginner or pro I personally recommended Ledger Nano S is better than Trezor. Because Ledger Nano supports more coins and it's easy to use as a beginner.
DFFanov4

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 11:58:07 AM

Trezor is more secure, than Ledger. And it is an open-source, unlike Ledger.
You can watch the explanation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC1Kte0vf00
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 3597

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 12:15:15 PM

If you have a large amount of Bitcoin and $100 is  Price is negligible, buy hardware wallet. except that electrum wallet is an excellent option.

- This guide will provide all the information you need.[1]
 - If you encounter a problem, ask about it here.[2]

Remember:  Buy from the official website only, and do not buy these wallets from any broker "Amazon, Bitcointalk,...etc", whatever the price.

[1] [Guide] Hardware wallets - which one is a good choice?
[2] Alternative clients

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 02:31:19 AM

It doesn't look like you got your answer for this question specifically. They have desktop software (which you have to download, of course) for sending out transactions and you use it pretty much like any other wallet while your device is plugged in. You don't have to type anything manually on the device itself. Here are step-by-step instructions:

Trezor:
https://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-user/settingup.html

Ledger:
https://support.ledgerwallet.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000617934-Send-and-receive-crypto-assets

As another user mentioned, and this cannot be stressed enough: do not buy from resellers.

aliitp (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 03:56:38 AM

It doesn't look like you got your answer for this question specifically. They have desktop software (which you have to download, of course) for sending out transactions and you use it pretty much like any other wallet while your device is plugged in. You don't have to type anything manually on the device itself. Here are step-by-step instructions:

Trezor:
https://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-user/settingup.html

Ledger:
https://support.ledgerwallet.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000617934-Send-and-receive-crypto-assets

As another user mentioned, and this cannot be stressed enough: do not buy from resellers.

Much appreciated ! I am set to buy the trazor, but since u said do Not buy from re sellers now now suspicious of every single reseller out there even reputed ones on ebay !...
Problem is i need to pay with PayPal and original trazor website wont accept paypal Sad

Any recommendations where to buy (reputed) with paypal support ??...

thanks,
madnessteat
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1973

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 06:30:15 AM

My choice fell on a Lager Nano S as it costs less to implement and management a little easier TREZOR. If the price is not important, you can buy any. Sorry for my English.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
coinfunda

Activity: 121
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 06:56:46 AM

I prefer ledger nano s, it's little bit cheaper as well. Or you can use paper wallet.

## NEVER SHARE YOUR PRIVATE KEYS || NEVER CLICK ON EMAIL LINKS|| NOT YOUR KEY, NOT YOUR CRYPTO ##
Tornadocrazy

Activity: 15

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 03:25:15 PM

Actually both are good wallets but I personally use Ledger Nano S and it's even better because of their new update for their software the "Ledger Live".

You don't have to download each of their chrome app unlike before it is required for bitcoin, eth and altcoins.

I agree. Ledger Nano S seems to be the best option to me. Especially after their latest Ledger Live sw update. Works like a charm!

BUT:

Make sure you NEVER buy a Ledger Nano S or any other hardware wallet from eBay.
Only buy from the Ledger store or from Amazon.

This article might be of help:
https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/wallets/ledger-nano-s/

Ledger Nano S has a warning on their support page:
Buy from an official Ledger reseller

https://support.ledgerwallet.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002481534-Check-if-device-is-genuine
Comino

Activity: 182
Merit: 7

No noise. No hustle. Quiet as whisper. Comino.

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2018, 06:52:53 PM

Ledger Nano has a bigger screen and thus, more options. Trezor is a second best option. Though, if you choose by the price, Trezor is a bit cheaper. But both are respectable hardware wallets to keep your keys safe.

**COMINO** 
WORLD'S FIRST LIQUID COOLED GPU MINER
200 MH/s * 30dB(A) ASUS, Noctua, Chieftech, HardwareLabs
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2018, 09:16:13 PM

As I understand, you mainly need hardware wallet just for BTC? Then I would say that both wallet are good for you. Prices of both wallets are similar, so you wont feel big difference. Both are really safe.
Personally, I use Nano S and I'm satisfied with it. When they released Ledger Live app now it's perfect wallet for me.

DenCho?

Activity: 494
Merit: 120

In BTC we trust!

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2018, 09:18:12 PM

I agree. Ledger Nano S seems to be the best option to me. Especially after their latest Ledger Live sw update. Works like a charm!

BUT:

Make sure you NEVER buy a Ledger Nano S or any other hardware wallet from eBay.
Only buy from the Ledger store or from Amazon.

This article might be of help:
https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/wallets/ledger-nano-s/

Ledger Nano S has a warning on their support page:
Buy from an official Ledger reseller

https://support.ledgerwallet.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002481534-Check-if-device-is-genuine

of course it could be risky any way, but what could go wrong if you make a total reset of your hardware wallet?

Agree that Ledger Live is awesome feature)

Have a glance at Trezor T

@BitcoinSchool_bot - oбpaзoвaтeльный Telegram-бoт. Учиcь, пoкa oпять нe нaчaлocь!
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 12:01:54 PM

Much appreciated ! I am set to buy the trazor, but since u said do Not buy from re sellers now now suspicious of every single reseller out there even reputed ones on ebay !...
Problem is i need to pay with PayPal and original trazor website wont accept paypal Sad

Any recommendations where to buy (reputed) with paypal support ??...

thanks,

Lol we may have gotten a little overboard by saying not to trust any reseller (that's mostly about random people and shops), but Trezor itself does trust a few of them. You can find the list here:

https://trezor.io/resellers/

I'm sure some of them will be able to fill your needs. There's also a way you can check if it has been tampered with:

https://blog.trezor.io/trezor-one-tamper-evident-packaging-f98d3f63569d

You should be good to go now!

justin86

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

Market Integration Platform

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 02:51:32 PM

Both will work for newbies but ledger nano s is more user friendly. I would rather get a ledger nano s, since it is the most known one.

RustyBits

Activity: 64
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2018, 07:15:00 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

As a relative newbie myself (received my first satoshi ten days shy of one year ago), I decided to get a cold storage wallet myself a few months in. I read several online reviews, watched some user review videos on YouTube, and looked at the prices and features.  In the end, I opted for a Trezor.

Funny thing is that the one feature that tipped the scales for me - to this point has been something that I've never even used. The Trezor device apparently also doubles as a password manager, but so far I haven't set up or used that feature.  Regardless, I am very happy with my decision strictly from the crypto wallet standpoint.

The thing is, there seem to be just as many (if not more) people happy with their choice to buy a Ledger Nano. I have never used one myself, so I am not going to knock it. I think the key in your case is to get something which is more secure than where you are currently storing your cryptos. Either Trezor or Nano (or several other options) is better than nothing at all.

Then after several months of using my Trezor, I decided to get a steel recovery seed wallet and got rid of the handwritten cardboard recovery seed card.

Whatever direction you ultimately decide to go - Good luck!

Visit GetPaid! for ways to earn money online - You won't Get Rich Quick... but you will GetPaid!
Sabertoothboth

Activity: 14

View Profile
August 22, 2018, 12:14:27 PM

As a relative newbie myself (received my first satoshi ten days shy of one year ago), I decided to get a cold storage wallet myself a few months in. I read several online reviews, watched some user review videos on YouTube, and looked at the prices and features.  In the end, I opted for a Trezor.

Funny thing is that the one feature that tipped the scales for me - to this point has been something that I've never even used. The Trezor device apparently also doubles as a password manager, but so far I haven't set up or used that feature.  Regardless, I am very happy with my decision strictly from the crypto wallet standpoint.

The thing is, there seem to be just as many (if not more) people happy with their choice to buy a Ledger Nano. I have never used one myself, so I am not going to knock it. I think the key in your case is to get something which is more secure than where you are currently storing your cryptos. Either Trezor or Nano (or several other options) is better than nothing at all.

Then after several months of using my Trezor, I decided to get a steel recovery seed wallet and got rid of the handwritten cardboard recovery seed card.

Whatever direction you ultimately decide to go - Good luck!

Unlike RustyBits, I have never used Trezor myself, but I'm a happy owner of a Ledger Nano S and agree that having a cold wallet (either Trezor of Ledger) is way better than keeping your coins online.
propaschi

Activity: 137
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 05:58:57 PM

if you use linux try for ledger:

wget -q -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LedgerHQ/udev-rules/master/add_udev_rules.sh | sudo bash

тo, чтo мы cдeлaть
нe ycпeвaeм или лeнимcя
oбязaтeльнo пpидyт и cдeлaют дpyгиe
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: