Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:45:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Allowing Mods to Delete Scam Threads (Marketplace)  (Read 222 times)
AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1348

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 02:59:01 PM
Merited by TMAN (5)

I know it's slightly controversial, but can we start allowing mods in the marketplace to close/delete or even be able to tag specific threads that are high risk scams?
There are countless threads advertising goods/services that are blatant scams where the OP locks the thread/self-moderates not allowing any constructive comments.
I know a buyer should apply due diligence, but wouldn't clamping down on this eventually weed out the spam/scam threads and help with all the cluster that cthe marketplace sub is currently in?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 03:18:31 PM

...can we start allowing mods in the marketplace to close/delete...

It could be nice however problem is that scams are not moderated. However I see DT tags the users whenever they find anything suspicious.

As a community member if you find anything specious then create a topic on the Scam Accusations board and try to get the attention of the DTs. Make sure you have enough evidence so that the DTs do not need to waste their time. Together we all can make the forum a better place rather leaving everything on mods hand.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 03:24:37 PM

...can we start allowing mods in the marketplace to close/delete...

It could be nice however problem is that scams are not moderated. However I see DT tags the users whenever they find anything suspicious.

As a community member if you find anything specious then create a topic on the Scam Accusations board and try to get the attention of the DTs. Make sure you have enough evidence so that the DTs do not need to waste their time. Together we all can make the forum a better place rather leaving everything on mods hand.

Scam accusation topics wouldn't really help in this case and neither would having a DT member tag the account. Look in the marketplace sub and you'll find plenty of examples on noobs creating locked/self-moderated threads where the offer is clearly too good to be true and where the negative trust doesn't deter them from reposting or creating a new account in the hopes that one gullible user will still click on one of their links...
TheQuin

Activity: 2562
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 03:51:35 PM

I can see a couple of problems with that. If the forum gets involved in moderating scams then when someone does get scammed they are going to blame the forum moderators for letting it happen. Conflict of interest might also crop up if a moderator is involved in doing business on the forum they could get accused of shutting out the competition.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 04:07:00 PM

I can see a couple of problems with that. If the forum gets involved in moderating scams then when someone does get scammed they are going to blame the forum moderators for letting it happen. Conflict of interest might also crop up if a moderator is involved in doing business on the forum they could get accused of shutting out the competition.

Obviously disclosure would be needed to avoid that.
I'm also not referring to all potential scam threads but more so to the few with the tale tale signs. Another thought would be to tag the thread with a warning until the OP provides necessary proof.
However, threads started by noobs, advertising goods/services whilst not accepting escrow and preventing comments by locking/self-moderating are the ones I'm referring to more specifically.
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 04:11:00 PM

I'm also not referring to all potential scam threads but more so to the few with the tale tale signs.

That's the problem. By just saying that the board is not moderated for scams that absolves the forum of all responsibility. Once you try to start policing it then you are responsible.

hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 3551

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 04:30:05 PM

There are many topics that have been created regarding this problem, but unfortunately, the best solution was to sticky this topic [1].

Some products, such as digital products, can not be verified until purchasing, which makes the deletion restricted by scamming "which is considered impractical as I can create a new account after each scam."

Removing or deleting threads is difficult and impractical "scams are not moderated", but some suggestions have been ignored such as warning message or showing trust for guests.

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3035620.0

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 11:11:55 PM

I'm also not referring to all potential scam threads but more so to the few with the tale tale signs.

That's the problem. By just saying that the board is not moderated for scams that absolves the forum of all responsibility. Once you try to start policing it then you are responsible.

I don’t think there’s really a legal case here. If it was a matter of legalities then that statement could be amended in a way that still absolves the forum from any liabilities whilst allowing appropriate practices to be enforced.
I’m not saying my idea is the perfect solution, but the marketplace section has become quite the mess and this is a good way to go about cleaning it and establishing some order IMO.
pugman
Legendary

Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551

dogs are cute.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 11:18:02 PM

I don’t think there’s really a legal case here. If it was a matter of legalities then that statement could be amended in a way that still absolves the forum from any liabilities whilst allowing appropriate practices to be enforced.
I’m not saying my idea is the perfect solution, but the marketplace section has become quite the mess and this is a good way to go about cleaning it and establishing some order IMO.
I was told that theymos used to moderate scams, but when things started going awry, theymos decided not to. There was more than just a conflict of interest, apparently people also got banned for going against theymos/saying some shit, I don't know how true that is, but that is what I read(from some thread in 2013, regarding the entire "illegal stock exchange" thingy).

One source: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4818411.msg43467206#msg43467206

TheQuin

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2018, 04:52:25 AM

I don’t think there’s really a legal case here.

I didn't mention legalities, I was talking about the perception of responsibility. People would make the natural assumption that the forum was taking responsibility to remove scams so therefore it was safe.

The Cryptovator
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 2165

Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2018, 05:44:39 AM

I was make thread about this case.
Question: Moderator can lock thread in case there is proven scam or OP are ban.
 Even I report post with evidence moderators didn't delete or lock thread.

I know it's not moderated by forum. But why ? Answer is scam can't be identify easily and if moderate scam by forum people will blame if they got scam. Yes it's enough reason to not moderate. Another question, If some one use team picture from stock image, that is not enough reason to delete thread ? We are blind here ? If I post scam accusation  proof of with fake team, forum members are blind? No one can confirm that picture is collected from stock image ? Than why can't delete or lock thread ?

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2018, 05:52:21 AM

But why ?

That is exactly what I have just explained. Moderating scams gives the perception that the forum is taking responsibility and that will lead to people blaming the forum when they get scammed by something the forum didn't lock or delete.

The Cryptovator
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 2165

Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2018, 06:03:54 AM

But why ?

That is exactly what I have just explained. Moderating scams gives the perception that the forum is taking responsibility and that will lead to people blaming the forum when they get scammed by something the forum didn't lock or delete.

I am not asking for moderating forum themselves. I am asking if any accusation about any ICO and if moderators think accusation is valid enough that case should be locked or delete thread. Like if we report spam post than moderator delete post.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2018, 06:07:51 AM

I am not asking for moderating forum themselves. I am asking if any accusation about any ICO and if moderators think accusation is valid enough that case should be locked or delete thread. Like if we report spam post than moderator delete post.

That is moderating scams. I've explained why it is not a good idea as well as I can. If you can give a counter argument as to why that wouldn't lead to people making the false assumption that things that don't get locked or deleted must be safe we can have a discussion.

AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 04:20:40 PM

But why ?

I understand your point of view but there are alternatives that won't give such a perception. For example, general rules that don't allow new members to lock new topics in the marketplace sub. I'm just trying to brainstorm here with idea that work for all.
The marketplace needs a big tidy up IMO and I thought that this would be a good place to start.
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2018, 04:27:05 PM
Merited by AT101ET (1)

I understand your point of view but there are alternatives that won't give such a perception. For example, general rules that don't allow new members to lock new topics in the marketplace sub. I'm just trying to brainstorm here with idea that work for all.
The marketplace needs a big tidy up IMO and I thought that this would be a good place to start.

Not being able to lock topics or make them self-moderated has been suggested many times and I don't really know why that hasn't happened.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: