Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:31:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Americans own less stuff because of the Internet. Is that a worry?  (Read 357 times)
2start

Activity: 147
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 03:57:51 AM

This is technological progress, every technology developed by humans is actually to facilitate human life, and I think internet technology greatly facilitates human life. but because it's cool with the internet world sometimes we often ignore traditional ways. For example, now there are too many young people who only focus on playing in front of a laptop or cellphone and they start leaving games that can make healthy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
taiwww

Activity: 588
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 04:25:12 AM

I guess I have some positive views about this kind of happening or changes in the world. The world that we live in is already changing very fast and eveyrhign is becoming digital one. I guess there should not be any problem with this kind of upgrade where everything stays in the cloud and owned by third party. Its actually good thing that we dont need to manage or take care of things and the sole purpose of it, is still left out as untouched, or more or less its preserved at some safe location. Now this is just example of books but may be the world is big and there are many things which are being replaced with the digital stuff. Its good and modern I guess.
MiningDog

Activity: 23

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 09:33:31 AM

This makes the people lazy,I am talking about it general the new technologies will make the people more lazier.If we are in the 19th century we will be like that?And also we won't go through all the pages in the electronic books unlike the paper books (in my opinion).
Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing here. Merriam-Webster dictionary defines 'lazy' as "not liking or willing to act or work". They also have this definition for kids, "not liking or willing to act or work". Let's we take paper books vs. electronic books, for example. Better yet, let's compare paper books to the internet. It would take you much longer to find something in paper books that on the internet. If you're looking for a quote in a book you many spend an hour, whereas on the internet you may find the quote in a couple minutes. How would finding information more quickly make you "dislike" or make you less "willing to act or work"? I don't see how you can connect these two things. It just makes you more effective.

It's not only not a big problem, it's not a problem at all in my opinion.  In fact, anyone can still own a physical book if they want to.  There's nothing stopping people from buying paperbacks and magazines or anything else.  Has anyone here had to move and they have boxes full of books?  It's a nightmare because of the weight.  Sort of like having to move boxes of vinyl records, which is another 'problem' that has been solved by technology.

This article is a puff opinion piece, much like almost everything else you find on the internet these days.  Very little thinking involved, biased, and designed to provoke some level of outrage.  Media has always been that way, but on the internet it's everywhere and on many sites there aren't even any journalistic standards.

If individuals ever think they are being stiffed by not actually owning their books, they will probably revolt and start buying them again.  This just isn't the problem the article thinks it is.
I completely agree. I completely overlooked the fact that if people are that concerned, they could always just buy paper books again. Haha.
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 10:11:29 AM

I completely agree. I completely overlooked the fact that if people are that concerned, they could always just buy paper books again. Haha.

That reminds me of recent pushes to create a "cashless society" where paper money is banned or illegalized. I can already imagine an argument for this developing.

"Paper books come from chopped down trees. This is bad for the environment and so paper books must be illegalized like plastic bags and straws to combat climate change, drought and global warming."

If paper books were banned, amazon would receive an even larger profit boost from its kindle store. Jeff Bezos would be proud. It would be bad for consumers but I don't think there are many who care about consumer rights/freedom these days.
MNDan

Activity: 287
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 04:46:17 PM

Some social problems are blatantly obvious in daily life, while others are longer-term, more corrosive and perhaps mostly invisible. Lately I've been worrying about a problem of the latter kind: the erosion of personal ownership and what that will mean for our loyalties to traditional American concepts of capitalism and private property.

The main culprits for the change are software and the internet. For instance, Amazon's Kindle and other methods of online reading have revolutionised how Americans consume text. Fifteen years ago, people typically owned the books and magazines they were reading. Much less so now. If you look at the fine print, it turns out that you do not own the books on your Kindle. Amazon.com does.

https://www.afr.com/opinion/americans-own-less-stuff-because-of-the-internet-and-thats-a-worry-20180812-h13vkd
As for me personally I love to have the minimum of different staff in my home if I would be having a total Freedom I would leave on the three or four furnitures at my house and it would be enough for me.
newinbtc
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 04:53:40 PM

its good for nature. IF we do not print out or dont read physical books. less number of trees will cut out..  One tree = 10,000 paper.. just think it we waste lot of paper daily.. but we never plant new tree..

Second drawback of this
People need to use internet. then they will follow up other things also like facebook. and after-all its machine we are using this and we see this light all day result , low eyesight

Sometimes change is good.
aoluain
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1255

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 05:23:55 PM

Why do we need to own stuff? There are a lot of people who lead a minimalist lifestyle.
To me there is way too much consumerism.

I hear of a guy from a few years ago who decided to get rid of stuff he didnt actually
need. Everything he sold he took a picture of so that when he thought about again
ge would look at the picture.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
wxa7115

Activity: 2702
Merit: 704

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 07:13:05 PM

Some social problems are blatantly obvious in daily life, while others are longer-term, more corrosive and perhaps mostly invisible. Lately I've been worrying about a problem of the latter kind: the erosion of personal ownership and what that will mean for our loyalties to traditional American concepts of capitalism and private property.

The main culprits for the change are software and the internet. For instance, Amazon's Kindle and other methods of online reading have revolutionised how Americans consume text. Fifteen years ago, people typically owned the books and magazines they were reading. Much less so now. If you look at the fine print, it turns out that you do not own the books on your Kindle. Amazon.com does.

https://www.afr.com/opinion/americans-own-less-stuff-because-of-the-internet-and-thats-a-worry-20180812-h13vkd
I am not worried at all, the example you are given can be easily avoided by buying actual copies of an electronic book that you store locally and that no one can take from you, it is very similar to what we are doing with bitcoin already, you just need to do the same, instead of streaming a movie buy it if you like it that much and store a copy in your hard drive that you can watch anytime you want.

People are following that path because that path gives the illusion to them of more choices but that is simply not true, lets take Netflix as an example, there are studies that show that people spend more time deciding what they want to watch than watching shows or movies, they could avoid all of that by just buying whatever they actually want to watch and eliminating 99% of the stuff they will never watch.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
usekevin

Activity: 2198
Merit: 554

Highly Trusted|Most efficient Manager| yahoo62278

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 07:32:29 PM

I don't think this is such a big problem.
It's not only not a big problem, it's not a problem at all in my opinion.  In fact, anyone can still own a physical book if they want to.  There's nothing stopping people from buying paperbacks and magazines or anything else.  Has anyone here had to move and they have boxes full of books?  It's a nightmare because of the weight.  Sort of like having to move boxes of vinyl records, which is another 'problem' that has been solved by technology.

This article is a puff opinion piece, much like almost everything else you find on the internet these days.  Very little thinking involved, biased, and designed to provoke some level of outrage.  Media has always been that way, but on the internet it's everywhere and on many sites there aren't even any journalistic standards.

If individuals ever think they are being stiffed by not actually owning their books, they will probably revolt and start buying them again.  This just isn't the problem the article thinks it is.

No one will force you to use physical books or online sources.The usage of physical book is reduced to avoid carrying of lot of books.If you want,you can buy huge numbers of book.And their is no limit in it.You can't say ,Americans own less stuff because of the Internet.If you use Internet, it will reduce the cutting of trees for the sake of papers.You can learn huge things from the internet itself.

█████▄▄██
███▄█████
██▄███████▄
████████████████
███▀██████████▀
██▄████████████▄
░█████▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
████▀████████▀████
▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████▀███████▄████
███████▀▀▄▄▄█████
███████████████▀
████████████▀▀
OMBARD.com|.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██████░██░████░██
▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
██████████████
▄▄░▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀▀▀
██░██░██████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
PICK,
PLAY,
PROSPER!

██████
██████████
██████████
██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████   ██
PROVABLY
FAIR
1%█████████████████   ██
HOUSE
EDGE
100%█████████████████   ██
DEPOSIT
BONUS
  Play now  
omfg.xekcep

Activity: 798
Merit: 2

*** https://www.buying.com ***

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 09:00:04 PM

Perhaps you are right but I do not consider that we should worry about it. Modern gadgets, mobile devices, notebooks, personal computers outclass books very significantly otherwise this devices would not substitute paper books. I also have noticed that especially young people spend much time surfing in Internet by using their smartphones. I remember how earlier I went to a library and gave several books to find answers for my questions. Now I can do the same for several seconds or minutes by using Google or other online services. I think it is normally that some kinds of material property becomes digital because it is easier to use and a digital format is suitable for various algorithmic analyses. I think that people will continue releasing from useless things because it is a progress which we cannot stop.

BUYING is here for you!
Meet buying.com’s
On-Demand Delivery System
-= https://www.buying.com =-
BCSHonda

Activity: 392
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 09:41:41 PM

Why do we need to own stuff? There are a lot of people who lead a minimalist lifestyle.
To me there is way too much consumerism.

I hear of a guy from a few years ago who decided to get rid of stuff he didnt actually
need. Everything he sold he took a picture of so that when he thought about again
ge would look at the picture.
If in my life things are not worth anymore. It's best to replace it and give yourself something more valuable. Especially it helps in life. And the topic is the same, whether people use the internet less or not, nor too worried.
Crypto24hrs

Activity: 462
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 11:01:19 PM

I may not be totally practically to do without the STUFF because some materials are better kept on paper if not for anything as a backup
stabsee83

Activity: 62

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 09:50:43 AM

You are worried because people own less books and magazines?What's wrong with you? Grin
I would be worried if the people don't own their homes and cars,if they don't have any property.
Anyway,that's how capitalism works.Money,power and resources are going to a rich elite,while the majority becomes poor..
Things are changing with time. Just like books and magazines are replaced by online reading on the facebook, similarly fiat currency will be replaced by digital currency very soon
sonofliberty

Activity: 395
Merit: 100

Market Integration Platform

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 11:49:44 AM

I'm thinking that it is not mandatory to have many objects or things in your flat, I'm living in Post Soviet apartment, and I have so many things that are not needed I want just to throw everything away.

r32godzilla

Activity: 1360
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 12:31:54 PM

Every new invention has its pros and cons.Likewise technology does have.By this way,the profit sharing goes to only one or two giant companies and the others remain left with empty hand.

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin.....ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..
█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.Telegram....
wxa7115

Activity: 2702
Merit: 704

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 05:20:34 PM

I'm thinking that it is not mandatory to have many objects or things in your flat, I'm living in Post Soviet apartment, and I have so many things that are not needed I want just to throw everything away.
We are living in interesting times, technology and its ability to mass produce almost anything has brought a world where you can buy almost anything if you have the money to buy it and this created the consumerist society in which we live today, but at the same time that technology now is creating a society where people are owning less, after all why have a shelf full of books when you can store them all in a convenient device that fits in your pocket?

So it is entirely possible that we are heading to a future in which we own less stuff but it is made of superior quality or at least that is what I hope for since I hate having useless stuff in my house.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
GG_Maker

Activity: 26

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 06:02:43 PM

I think this is generally good. Why accumulate so much to one's self. It is a really nice development. A reduced sense of ownership and thirst to acquire more and more. Ultimately, we all know we are taking nothing to the grave. So, it looks like the right way to live. Forward thinking. It kinda helps one focus more on what they need and disregard the excesses.
Betwrong
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 2144

I stand with Ukraine.

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 07:01:25 PM

That reminds me of recent pushes to create a "cashless society" where paper money is banned or illegalized. I can already imagine an argument for this developing.

"Paper books come from chopped down trees. This is bad for the environment and so paper books must be illegalized like plastic bags and straws to combat climate change, drought and global warming."

If paper books were banned, amazon would receive an even larger profit boost from its kindle store. Jeff Bezos would be proud. It would be bad for consumers but I don't think there are many who care about consumer rights/freedom these days.

I'm sure that paper books will never be banned because, in fact, there are many of them who do care about consumer rights/freedom these days. The first thing that comes to mind it's probably lawyers who would be more than happy to appeal against such a ban. The thing is that it's good for your health to take brakes from the Internet and computer in general sometimes, and paper books serve as one of the best substitutes.

All in all, I think that if more and more stuff appears in a digital form and people can use it either for free or for a fraction of the previous price, it's a good thing. But there always will be a demand for something in its physical form, even though its digital clones will be available.

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
Theb

Activity: 1680
Merit: 655

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 07:12:26 PM

I was actually interested in reading the article until the website cut it short and blocked the rest of the article with a pop out telling me I need to log-in and subscribe to access the "exclusive" article nevertheless I'll still try and contribute my opinion about it. It is true the internet is actually affecting our lives in a bad way the more we are stuck doing nothing and just entertaining ourselves with websites such as Facebook and Youtube we will actually be less productive as the time being consumed doing those activities takes a lot instead of doing something more productive like try to earn money in other ways besides our job. The internet trapped us from products we really don't need to social media websites/apps we think is now part of our lives.

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
just_Alice

Activity: 1274
Merit: 622

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 08:38:35 PM

It should've been expected, people always lose jobs and something they own due to technologies development, it's very difficult to find something that is really valuable and non-dependent of time, that's why gold is so precious and good investment, it was worthy ages ago and it's price is only increasing due to its limited source, but things that can be replaced with something else won't stay for long. Books are now replaced with E-books, some mechanical tasks are being replaced by automation of different processes, maybe someday people will invent something much more powerful, than computers and even such companies like Microsoft or Apple won't be in need anymore. It's not a reason for concern, though, it's developmental indicator that should be accepted as a given.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: