Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:10:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HEX16A2 miner question  (Read 919 times)
qwaven (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:55:04 PM

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what this is? (see image)

I have a broken HEX16A2 miner that is missing this. Hoping to try and repair it if anyone can assist with finding out what it is.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

https://i.imgur.com/Nety0tL.jpg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
novello

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 07:33:42 PM

Looks like a controller board using a PIC single chip microprocessor. It's most certainly not a Bitcoin mining solution of any kind as the PIC 33EP generally runs off it's internal 7Mhz oscillator giving 70 MIPS - way too slow for SHA256 by several orders of magnitude.

qwaven (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 02:29:49 PM

Looks like a controller board using a PIC single chip microprocessor. It's most certainly not a Bitcoin mining solution of any kind as the PIC 33EP generally runs off it's internal 7Mhz oscillator giving 70 MIPS - way too slow for SHA256 by several orders of magnitude.

Thanks for the reply. However let me clarify. The included picture is a small part of the actual board. I'm just trying to figure out what the small part is that is circled in red. Smiley

The actual board is a HEX16A2 which is an Avalon 2 based system.

Cheers
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:40:45 PM

Yay!  Well done, thanks for posting totally wrong information in a thread.  If you don't know what you're looking at, don't post.

Guys like you suck.  Roll Eyes

Op, the plans for these boards is open source, and should be accessible from Technobit's site.  It doesn't look too important, as it's between a USB signal line and ground.  Probably a filtering cap or inductor.  I'd have thought the miner would run fine without the component. 
novello

Activity: 161

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 10:03:25 PM

Yay!  Well done, thanks for posting totally wrong information in a thread.  If you don't know what you're looking at, don't post.

Op, the plans for these boards is open source, and should be accessible from Technobit's site.  It doesn't look too important, as it's between a USB signal line and ground.  Probably a filtering cap or inductor.  I'd have thought the miner would run fine without the component. 

Contrary to what you suggest in your rather stupid and rude reply, I do know what I'm talking about and you quite clearly don't. Haven't you anything better to do with your life, or is your homework too hard for you to do tonight?

qwaven (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:09:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. Had not come across any plans on the site but will look around some more on there. Otherwise I may just try as you suggest running the board without it. I'll still need to reattach a USB header on but that should be doable.

Cheers!
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 03:46:24 PM

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what this is? (see image)

I have a broken HEX16A2 miner that is missing this. Hoping to try and repair it if anyone can assist with finding out what it is.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

The small thing circled in red is a capacitor. I'm not sure of it's function here, but I can say with a 100% certainty that that is what it is.

Source: I've taken several microelectronic and embedded systems courses and have soldered these in the past.
qwaven (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:02:37 PM

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to know what kind of capacitor if I were to try and source a replacement?

HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:07:02 PM

Contrary to what you suggest in your rather stupid and rude reply, I do know what I'm talking about and you quite clearly don't. Haven't you anything better to do with your life, or is your homework too hard for you to do tonight?

You're the dumbass who said it's not a bitcoin mining solution.  Which is EXACTLY what it is, therefore you were WRONG.   Roll Eyes  Or are the 5x HEX16A2 boards I have which are happily mining at 20GH each a figment of my imagination? 
freddyfarnsworth

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 10:15:46 PM

Someone who knows post the uf/v value and size 402 502 etc. of that cap please.
ie: measure yours if possible.

BTC: 1F1X9dN2PRortYaDkq89YJDbQ72i3F5N3h MEOW: KAbvy9jrrajvN5WLo7RWBsYqYfJKyN9WLf DOGE: DAyKSrTiVeRZaReTu1Cyf5Je6qPdKTuKKE
ncsupanda
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:15:17 AM

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to know what kind of capacitor if I were to try and source a replacement?

Use a multimeter and measure the capacitance. If I had access to this specific capacitor, I would.

If you can find the circuit design and share it with me, I can find it for you.
rc0cl

Activity: 20

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:37:58 AM

Use a multimeter and measure the capacitance. If I had access to this specific capacitor, I would.

You cannot measure the capacitor in-circuit. You really need to unsolder the good cap and measure it with a capacitance meter. The schematics would be a lot easier.
ncsupanda
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:49:51 AM

You cannot measure the capacitor in-circuit. You really need to unsolder the good cap and measure it with a capacitance meter. The schematics would be a lot easier.

My professor (when I learned how to test capacitance) had a handy meter that would unsolder the capacitor as you tested it. It was one hell of a rig, but still. I tried looking for a schematic and found nothing  Sad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: