Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:52:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Media : Bitcoin is Done  (Read 4785 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 10:42:28 PM

you have to remember that Bitcoin is MORE of a threat to the current system than even gold or silver.  why?  because the monetary task masters do not have any Bitcoin, at least that we know of.  at least the Fed has what they report they have of gold in Fort Knox which supposedly is the largest stash in the world.  with Bitcoin they don't even have a foot in the game which is why its SO threatening.

I dis-agree.  If "they" wanted a foot in the game, they'd have one for chump change.  The whole economy is now, what, $20 mill?  Taking a position would undoubtedly increase that somewhat even if they were careful, but we are still talking about a tiny tiny amount of money here.  Probably the cost of running just the US's military for a matter of seconds.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 10:46:34 PM

Reports coming in today that the US Dollar is dead due to >90% loss of value in the last 100+ years.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 10:47:31 PM

another aspect of what i just said is that if the central banks ever got the sense that Bitcoin was unstoppable, heaven knows what they'd do to actually get a foot in the game.

which is precisely why i feel they are doing everything they can to try and prevent that from happening such as forum trolling despite what some of you believe.
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 10:50:53 PM

another aspect of what i just said is that if the central banks ever got the sense that Bitcoin was unstoppable, heaven knows what they'd do to actually get a foot in the game.

which is precisely why i feel they are doing everything they can to try and prevent that from happening such as forum trolling despite what some of you believe.

Pffft, if anything they're just lookin at tips on how to print so much so fast Wink

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 10:52:00 PM

you have to remember that Bitcoin is MORE of a threat to the current system than even gold or silver.  why?  because the monetary task masters do not have any Bitcoin, at least that we know of.  at least the Fed has what they report they have of gold in Fort Knox which supposedly is the largest stash in the world.  with Bitcoin they don't even have a foot in the game which is why its SO threatening.

I dis-agree.  If "they" wanted a foot in the game, they'd have one for chump change.  The whole economy is now, what, $20 mill?  Taking a position would undoubtedly increase that somewhat even if they were careful, but we are still talking about a tiny tiny amount of money here.  Probably the cost of running just the US's military for a matter of seconds.

no, step one would be to try and kill Bitcoin before it got off the ground.  that way they wouldn't have to put any money into Bitcoin at all which could paradoxically help legitimize it by making the price go up.

to this day no one has explained why the mtgox hacker would drive the price to zero without lifting his withdrawal limits ahead of time.
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 10:55:53 PM

Banks actually make a ton of money chasing weaker hands between gold and fiat currency...just when you think things are about to collapse, they slam on the brakes to the money printing machine and send gold plummeting.  Of course, they are well aware of this ahead of time and can front run.  They can certainly do this with bitcoin and with anything else.  As long as they control the supply of dollars and as long as the dollar has a significant value relative to everything else in the economy, they'll be able to keep doing it.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 10:58:47 PM

As long as that have the armies and weapons.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 11:02:37 PM

I do indeed hope you are right.  I've got a big bet on that happening eventually and working out in my favor.  But I consider it a long-shot.

My sense is that about half the people in these forums are to some extent, trolls (including myself), but I can detect very little evidence that there is any coordination here.

---

To follow-up on your next post, I doubt that 'they' are under the illusion that they could 'kill' Bitcoin dead or even drive the price to to a significantly low level (the designers were to clever for that.)  A good policy would actually be to keep it cranking along on life support if need be even, monitor and catalog the participants, and generally study it for weaknesses and exploits.  That may (or may not) be the phase we are in now.  I'm undecided.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
fivebells

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 11:14:13 PM

There are myriad groups building various projects, some private and some public. The best ones are generally private, as the profit motive is involved.
I'm mildly skeptical, mildly hopeful.  Wish all those clever folks the best from me.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 11:50:32 PM

There are myriad groups building various projects, some private and some public. The best ones are generally private, as the profit motive is involved.
I'm mildly skeptical, mildly hopeful.  Wish all those clever folks the best from me.

Heh.  It is indeed helpful to keep things on the private side when the motivation is to profit...especially when the design is to profit by ripping people off.

Developments out of the Bitcoin community generally are far and away the most closed source I've been mildly involved with and also the most scam infested.  But the 'free market' tends to correct for such things...and we are down to $2.36/BTC as I tap this out.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: