Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 09:49:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-02-26] Sen. Manchin demands complete US ban on Bitcoin  (Read 3893 times)
patricktim

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:35:49 AM

Bitcoins are disruptive to the economy? Does Congress has authority to ban Bitcoins, but they can pretty much regulate it however they see fit. It's a basic Constitutional power.

pjviitas

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:57:10 AM

This guy is a total shill for the banks.

Once they ban Bitcoin in the USA it will be a perfect money laundering tool for the Banks and Government.

It's amazing how these rich people feel like they should have an exclusive form of currency for fucking the system.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 02:11:10 AM

Thanks Mark,for bringing this awesome negative attention to Bitcoin,may you rest in peace forever!!!!!!!!  Roll Eyes

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
bitbouillion

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 02:28:18 AM

...spending Bitcoin now will cost you many orders of wealth in the future...
U.S. Joe Manchin III
United States Senator

Most stupid argument I have ever heard.

FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 03:01:37 AM

U.S. Joe Manchin III
United States Senator

Cheesy

Career politicians are not where they are due to their intelligence.
bobdude17

Activity: 454

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 03:59:04 AM

U.S. Joe Manchin III
United States Senator

Did this motherfucker just say he's bullish?
CityGuy

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:27:32 AM

It won't happen IMO. Our legislators are capable of thinking critically (for the most part?) and realizing what went wrong. And they know this is going to help Bitcoin evolve. It's not a flaw in Bitcoin itself. They aren't calling it the "Wild Wild West" of Bitcoin for nothing! Things will get better.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:32:41 AM

It won't happen IMO. Our legislators are capable of thinking critically (for the most part?) and realizing what went wrong. And they know this is going to help Bitcoin evolve. It's not a flaw in Bitcoin itself. They aren't calling it the "Wild Wild West" of Bitcoin for nothing! Things will get better.

Personally I'm just more nervous that they try to stalk it to an extreme level like the internet with PRISM only applied to Bitcoin
Aka trace every address without evidence of wrongdoing just because they can then if someone is arrested use that database to implicate you as well as the defendant even if the coins plausibly were mixed before you receive them (Aka tainted coins)

Since it may be a new concept to a few gives a bit of an overview of what I mean link and explanation
http://www.bitkoins.com/discussion/5327/tainted-coins-how-colored-coins-could-be-used-against-bitcoins-anonymity/p1
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/7966/what-are-tainted-coins-exactly

In simple terms don't mess with Fungibility

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
CityGuy

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:53:50 AM

Personally I'm just more nervous that they try to stalk it to an extreme level like the internet with PRISM only applied to Bitcoin
Aka trace every address without evidence of wrongdoing just because they can then if someone is arrested use that database to implicate you as well as the defendant even if the coins plausibly were mixed before you receive them (Aka tainted coins)

Since it may be a new concept to a few gives a bit of an overview of what I mean link and explanation
http://www.bitkoins.com/discussion/5327/tainted-coins-how-colored-coins-could-be-used-against-bitcoins-anonymity/p1
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/7966/what-are-tainted-coins-exactly

In simple terms don't mess with Fungibility

That's interesting I actually haven't seen that yet. I understand the concept. However, I don't think it will become that extreme. Now of course anything can happen so I'm not being an asshole saying that won't happen, but I think a more realistic view would be to assume that this could be a acceptable way to regulate cryptos? As awesome as Bitcoin is regarding anomimity, I think realistically for bitcoin to become regulated we are going to have to surrender some qualities. The way I see it, if it becomes regulated to the point where we have to disclose all personal info like the article said, Bitcoin is still extremely valuable and it's utility holds. Transaction rates, and it's universal quality will still make it a go 2 currency.     

nonetheless very interesting.
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:15:45 AM

@Cityguy

The problem is that if a government says X amount of bitcoins can never be traded because they were used for money laundering/drugs so on and so forth then you end up with a spending problem as those units decrease the available supply of bitcoins on the market.

Bitcoin has a controlled supply of 21 million units so you can't just say X amount of units cannot be traded.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Controlled_supply

Otherwise you end up with a fungiblity issue which is the concept that every unit or subunit remains equivalent and identical to any other unit or subunit. It is the property of a good or commodity whose individual units are capable of mutual substitution.

If each bitcoin is worth a different amount as another bitcoin because some are considered tainted then it becomes much more complicated to determine the value of each bitcoin.

Government paper has fungibility provided that the bills have not been marked or serial numbers have not been ‘blacklisted.’ In other words, you cannot be held responsible for the historical path of that banknote prior to its acceptance by you.

So a system of regulation should be focused on exchanges where transactions occur, not on reducing the supply of bitcoins by confiscation.

Since the argument I presented is a short of the coindesk article I'll just recommend checking that one out as well Smiley

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-fungibility-essential/

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:41:35 AM

This Forbes article http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2014/02/26/senator-calls-for-bitcoin-ban-in-letter-to-financial-regulators/ contains the following update:
Update: A spokesperson in Senator Manchin’s office said that his call for regulation doesn’t yet extend to other cryptocurrencies, such as Litecoin or Dogecoin. And asked how such a ban would be technically feasible, he admitted that the senator is still trying to gather information on “different ways to protect consumers” that might entail a ban or simply increased regulation.
This appears as typical political damage control after the senator spoke.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:45:01 AM

And asked how such a ban would be technically feasible, he admitted that the senator is still trying to gather information on “different ways to protect consumers” that might entail a ban or simply increased regulation.
Easy question. He just has to order Bitcoin to cease operations, right?

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:25:18 AM

And asked how such a ban would be technically feasible, he admitted that the senator is still trying to gather information on “different ways to protect consumers” that might entail a ban or simply increased regulation.
Easy question. He just has to order Bitcoin to cease operations, right?

I hereby ban You bitcoin
If only there were no decentralized exchanges and nodes everywhere around the world  Wink

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 10:28:22 AM

Ahahah it is funny to see how ridicolous can a government be

E.exchanger

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM US FOR HELP!

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 10:59:34 AM

I guess the idiot don't have anything better to do rather then banning  bitcoin, which is atleast helping people in many ways unlike him.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:49:21 AM

He lost a fortune in MTGOX and became furious  Cheesy

davidgdg

Activity: 551
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:47:01 PM

Isn't this sort of thing what the Bitcoin Foundation is supposed to be for?

"There is only one thing that is seriously morally wrong with the world, and that is politics. By 'politics' I mean all that, and only what, involves the State." Jan Lester "Escape from Leviathan"
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:33:09 PM

Mr. Manchin, as the senator from one of the poorest state in the country, don't you have better thing to do, other than emulating communist regimes around the world?

aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:33:39 PM

Interesting comments arising from the Coindesk version of the story: http://www.coindesk.com/us-senator-bitcoin-ban-letter-federal-regulators/

This sequence is revealing. Ignore the bitcointalk smiley artifact on #8 below, but notice #18. Small world:

------------- snip  ----------------

My2Cents • 21 hours ago Featured by CoinDesk

JPMorgan contributed $30,550 to this goon's campaign. That says everything... he is just a puppet not even worth mentioning.

Share ›

Bboy 360 My2Cents • 21 hours ago

1) FirstEnergy Corp $139,450
    2) Mylan Inc $127,500
    3) Mepco LLC $64,400
    4) Dominion Resources $63,900
    5) American Electric Power $61,250
    6) Centene Corp $55,900
    7) Jackson Kelly Pllc $50,825
    Cool Drummond Co $49,100
    9) Patriot Coal Corp $48,400
    10) Alpha Natural Resources $48,298
    11) Boich Companies $44,200
    12) CONSOL Energy $41,050
    13) Wexford Capital $40,000
    14) Arch Coal $35,900
    15) CSX Corp $35,700
    16) Peabody Energy $34,100
    17) Nelson Brothers LLC $32,000
    18) JPMorgan Chase & Co $30,550
    19) Chesapeake Energy $28,900
    20) Lewis, Glasser et al $27,600
    •
    •
    Share ›
        Disqsuxs Bboy 360 • 19 hours ago

remember Robin Williams said politicians should wear patches like NASCAR drivers

-------------- end snip -------------

hacknoid

Activity: 418
Merit: 252

Proud Canuck

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 06:46:59 PM

U.S. Joe Manchin III
United States Senator

Also contradictory to his own arguments:

I am most concerned that as Bitcoin is inevitably banned in other countries, Americans will be left holding the bag on a valueless currency.

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: