Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:21:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would bitcoin have certain immunities if groups claimed it as their religion?  (Read 3186 times)
BitCoinsLOL

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:28:52 AM

How about a Buddhist philosophy towards BTC  Grin

I never thought my life could be. Anything but catastrophe. But suddenly I begin to see. A "BIT" of good luck for me. Cause I've got a golden ticket!
TheIrishman
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:37:46 AM

5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 02:26:44 AM

seems more legit than Scientology, go for it 

ZeroBarrier

Activity: 140

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 03:15:18 AM

Very interesting point.  Could we also consider a group that forks the blockchain and creates their religion around the aquisition/spending/sharing/and transferring an altoin?  I.e. Holycoin, Godcoin, Sacredcoin, Faithcoin, Divinicoin etc.

Same problem, all of these coins are known as cryptocurrencies. The only way I can see any coin becoming a religion is if a group decouples monetary value from the coin and only have religious value in that coin. If this happens, then why even try to make a religion around a coin if it's only value is religious? The OP only suggests claiming the religion card to avoid tax/ban/regulation, but it can't be both a currency and a religion at the same time, it can only be one thing.
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:00:43 AM

I'm staring the first bitcoin church, donate BTC to address on my signature to help building the church or you will burn in Gox.
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:06:04 AM

What law states that a currency can't be worshiped as a religion...

We worshiped cows... they had a role as cows... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=483970.msg5327763#msg5327763

We worshiped rats... Still do...

We worshiped gold... and golden cows!

We worshiped the sun... Even called it a God!

We worshiped the dollar/crowns/coins/pents/cents... Still do... (But we are forced to do that.)

Why exactly couldn't a crypto-coin "also" be a religion? All you need is belief and trust. (Sort of the foundation of the coins creation in the first place. "As it was written... These are the words of the white-papers... Amen!"
ISAWHIM

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:06:44 AM

I'm staring the first bitcoin church, donate BTC to address on my signature to help building the church or you will burn in Gox.

Love that!
We need a deamon... lol, (Play on words)

See, bitcoins are a religion!
g35fan

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:35:31 AM

Ha, nice thread. You should consider going the route of an "artificial intelligence religion" and your beliefs state that the bitcoin network over the next 100 years will transform into the worlds first AI and be all knowing and at that time your mind can transcend with AI and we all shall spread out across this universe and be immortal. The end Grin
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:55:25 AM

No.

If your church says it is ok to manufacture and sell heroin ....

Still, in some of the southern states there's a big push to deny health care, insurance payments for birth control and abortions, etc all on the basis of religion, and they seem to be making some headway. Especially since corporations are people. A money laundering religion is rather far-fetched, but so is the denial of basic human rights...
ZeroBarrier

Activity: 140

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:34:42 AM

What law states that a currency can't be worshiped as a religion...

We worshiped cows... they had a role as cows... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=483970.msg5327763#msg5327763

We worshiped rats... Still do...

We worshiped gold... and golden cows!

We worshiped the sun... Even called it a God!

We worshiped the dollar/crowns/coins/pents/cents... Still do... (But we are forced to do that.)

Why exactly couldn't a crypto-coin "also" be a religion? All you need is belief and trust. (Sort of the foundation of the coins creation in the first place. "As it was written... These are the words of the white-papers... Amen!"

Worshiping and creating a religion for the purpose of evading taxes/bans/regulation is completely different. You're more than welcome to worship whatever your little heart desires, but don't for one second delude yourself into thinking that just because you worship something that it won't be taxed/banned/regulated.
virtualmaster

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:40:10 AM

religions are immune to taxes
This is not completely true.
Only the religious organization is exempted from tax for non-profitable activities not the members. In the case of Bitcoin for ex. the Bitcoin Foundation could be tax-free for receiving membership fees and for distributing free Bitcoins or for making propaganda.
Eventually in an internal economy(like in Namecoin the name registration) where fiat is excluded it could be considered as religious activity and tax-free.
But this is anyway mostly tax-free at the moment when no fiat is involved.

The key could be a holly coin which may not be exchanged directly in fiat(but may be exchanged in other cryptocurrencies) and with a strong internal economy so the authorities have no excuse to regulate it.

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
E.exchanger

Activity: 714

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM US FOR HELP!

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:18:07 AM

Is this real  Shocked  well i must say people have take it really seriously then  Shocked Shocked Shocked
kwest

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:24:59 AM

If the purpose of this is to use religious freedom to protect crypto currencies, I think the religion should focus on the belief in the power of decentralization and global networks, in order to not only include Bitcoin, but all crypto - as well as technologies like bittorrent.

It's not about creating a cult.. it's about protecting our rights with whatever means we have available. So if we have to form a religion to stay safe... well, let's form a religion than.
BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 11:37:57 AM

Also worth noting

This one might look unimportant for some people but people from China are right now biggest buyers. Besides this religion thing will be only important in some country's. I'm guessing at your country legalization is easy and benefits from such solution are good enough but it is not something we have at other country's. All religions i know are rather centralized, wouldn't bitcoin lose its decentralized and liberal part because of it...

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: