Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:20:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the most stupid comment you've heard about bitcoin?  (Read 11374 times)
zureman90

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 10:18:28 AM

my mom yesterday: my computer is slow, it's because of you mining bitcoins!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazynoggin

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 10:33:38 AM

I find it funny and extremely stupid when there are seasoned traders in the stock market calling Bitcoin a Ponzi scheme. They obviously haven't done any sort of research into what Bitcoin is and are speaking from rumors they likely have heard.

Use my referral link if you want: https://primedice.com/?ref=Crazynoggin
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 10:54:30 AM

"Don't fall for this, the CEO of Bitcoin can make as many bitcoins for himself as he likes!" is amongst my favorites of most retarded comments ever.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 11:02:59 AM

People tend to get quite confused with all this fancy crypto stuff and confused people tend to say funny things when they try to act competent. So, what's the most stupid thing you've heard about bitcoin recently?

The Bloomberg chick

Here's my concern, because everybody says there's a limited amount of bitcoin out there and only so much can be mined. It's been placed out there and it's not like it's an infinite amount. You know, when you compare it to fed policy and keep printing. Who's to say that some computer experts couldn't put more Bitcoin out there and hack all of that? Right and therefore depress the value as well.

eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 11:14:04 AM

"Don't fall for this, the CEO of Bitcoin can make as many bitcoins for himself as he likes!" is amongst my favorites of most retarded comments ever.

That's why it's so irresponsible for outfits like coindesk to talk about the bitcoin "devs" reducing the network's transaction fee.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
Thylacine

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:27:58 PM

Tulips
Beanie Babies
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:09:58 PM

That bitcoin got hacked....  Shocked Shocked Shocked
tmuir12

Activity: 230

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:28:19 PM

I'm torn between:

. Bitcoin is a ponzi scheme

. Bitcoins are like the TULIP MANIA!

I raise your Tulip one to a comment I read made by an economic expert.

"bitcoins are worse than than Tulips, because when the tulips went bust atleast you still had a tulip, when Bitcoins go bust you will be left with nothing'  Roll Eyes

FeatherCoin - 6p4gdv9S5YfHznfqxXmdMKEZyGbX9oyphe
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:32:44 PM

I can forgive people who know nothing about Bitcoin for saying dumb things so my pet hate is Bitcoin enthusiasts who bitch and moan about Fractional Reserve Banking.

The most recent examples are the "...MtGox... running a fractional reserve bank" variety

I assume some of this is said in jest but an FRB should be solvent. Illiquid perhaps, but not insolvent.

Other stupid things said by bitcoiners:

"It is impossible for something to be valued higher than all the bitcoins in existence"

"Bitcoin makes it impossible to have interest bearing investments"

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
dogechode

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:57:22 PM

1.) The guy that posted on youtube saying he has like 4500 btc (and this was back when the value per btc was much higher) and he's like I'm not selling because I know they will hit $10,000 each soon.

2.) People saying bitcoin isn't "safe." Well, neither is walking around a metropolitan area with cash in your wallet if you want to get technical about it...

3.) People saying they think they won't have to pay taxes on their cryptocoin earnings, and all the various dumbass ways/reasons they list that they think are going to exclude them from having to pay taxes on them.

4.) People arguing that there is room in the market for 100+ altcoins to co-exist.

5.) People saying that new coin xyz is going to be (huge/the next bitcoin/over $X in Y amount of time) because it does (insert some small trivial feature here.)

6.) People saying that getting a coin added to several more exchanges will increase the value of the coin. (Hint: the people begging you to vote every few hours on mintpal and petition cryptsy to add a coin and all that crap are people that are holding a SHITLOAD of the coin and they just need more markets open so they can dump higher volume in less time, and they will crash the price when they do so.)

7.) The people making excuses for why they think their decision to buy 2-3 year old cards to mine with makes more sense than buying cutting edge cards that will actually still have value if mining dies out suddenly.
BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:06:23 PM

The King of such statements is

Rawdog-let-ard

YouTube him, but most of you know him already.
freebit13

Activity: 616

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:17:00 PM

"Why do we need bitcoins, we've already got [insert fiat currency of choice here]?"

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:17:29 PM

1.) The guy that posted on youtube saying he has like 4500 btc (and this was back when the value per btc was much higher) and he's like I'm not selling because I know they will hit $10,000 each soon.

2.) People saying bitcoin isn't "safe." Well, neither is walking around a metropolitan area with cash in your wallet if you want to get technical about it...

3.) People saying they think they won't have to pay taxes on their cryptocoin earnings, and all the various dumbass ways/reasons they list that they think are going to exclude them from having to pay taxes on them.

4.) People arguing that there is room in the market for 100+ altcoins to co-exist.

5.) People saying that new coin xyz is going to be (huge/the next bitcoin/over $X in Y amount of time) because it does (insert some small trivial feature here.)

6.) People saying that getting a coin added to several more exchanges will increase the value of the coin. (Hint: the people begging you to vote every few hours on mintpal and petition cryptsy to add a coin and all that crap are people that are holding a SHITLOAD of the coin and they just need more markets open so they can dump higher volume in less time, and they will crash the price when they do so.)

7.) The people making excuses for why they think their decision to buy 2-3 year old cards to mine with makes more sense than buying cutting edge cards that will actually still have value if mining dies out suddenly.

Well I guess some of these make me feel stupid too. I'd agree with #7, since mining won't die out suddenly, and I'd kind of agree with #1. It won't be soon, but eventually he could be right. How else can you explain how everyone will share bitcoin when there are only a certain amount in existence? Actually if more people held on to their coins the price would go up a fair bit. You gotta be desperate to sell at $550.

I certainly do not agree with #4. There are already far too many altcoins.
zunath

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:27:16 PM

"The CEO of Bitcoin got arrested."
evansearle42

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:36:28 PM

bitcoin is worth nothing while I told them it can sell for 600USD each..
James-Cryptonomics

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 03:40:43 PM

THIS HAS MADE MY DAY ......
RichG

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:14:24 PM

My SO has banned me from buying bitcoin. I watched bitcoin go down to $425 / BTC on coinbase briefly a couple days ago, but I was unable to take advantage of it. My SO has declared, "Bidcoin is just a ponzi scheme cooked up by nerds. If you buy any bidcoin, I will break up with you. I don't sleep with nerds."  Cry
I honestly advise you to get a new SO. And not because of bitcoin. Smiley

What the hell is an SO? Is it like a stock broker?
grifferz

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:16:23 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=490423.msg5409837#msg5409837
dogechode

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:22:01 PM

My SO has banned me from buying bitcoin. I watched bitcoin go down to $425 / BTC on coinbase briefly a couple days ago, but I was unable to take advantage of it. My SO has declared, "Bidcoin is just a ponzi scheme cooked up by nerds. If you buy any bidcoin, I will break up with you. I don't sleep with nerds."  Cry

In this case SO = the chick that has his balls in a glass jar on her desk.
RichG

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:24:56 PM

In this case SO = the chick that has his balls in a glass jar on her desk.

I thought it was like a securities advisor or something like that.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: