Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:14:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the most stupid comment you've heard about bitcoin?  (Read 11371 times)
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 06:24:40 PM

There should be thousands of people out there who have cashed out and are bitcoin millionaires. There should be lots of people cashing a few out to buy houses, cars, yachts, pay off all their bills. I don't know of ANY.

You just made a valid addition to the thread by not bothering to spend 2 seconds googling. What I got googling "Bitcoin Ferrari" was Goat's car  (not even a ferrari)

http://postimg.org/image/6cq4vo9zt/

2 more seconds for an apartment:

http://article.wn.com/view/2013/10/30/Norwegian_man_buys_apartment_with_forgotten_27_bitcoin_inves/

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Denton

Activity: 798
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 06:43:35 PM

http://teapartyeconomist.com/2014/02/25/bitcoins-debacle-mt-gox-disappears-digital-money/
I'm sure you can find the winner in this article.

sgravina

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 06:48:08 PM

A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online
payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a
financial institution.

How is that a stupid comment? Is that a quote from the original Bitcoin Whitepaper?

That is the very first thing I heard about bitcoin.  It's stupid enough for me.
bbeagle

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 07:24:08 PM

There should be thousands of people out there who have cashed out and are bitcoin millionaires. There should be lots of people cashing a few out to buy houses, cars, yachts, pay off all their bills. I don't know of ANY.

You just made a valid addition to the thread by not bothering to spend 2 seconds googling. What I got googling "Bitcoin Ferrari" was Goat's car  (not even a ferrari)

http://article.wn.com/view/2013/10/30/Norwegian_man_buys_apartment_with_forgotten_27_bitcoin_inves/

Thank you! I've never heard of this! Awesome! I'll do more intense googling.

Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 07:36:40 PM

financial institution.

How is that a stupid comment? Is that a quote from the original Bitcoin Whitepaper?

I am not sure I understand ... are you saying this statement is stupid and or incorrect?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 07:39:07 PM

Thank you! I've never heard of this! Awesome! I'll do more intense googling.

You don't even have to google if you just hang out here long enough. I saw Goat and his Lamborghini in person last week.

Still around.
mobile

Activity: 400

the sun is shining, but the ice is still slippery

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 07:39:26 PM

Oh how there are so many one could mention. Just read a NY Post article on bitcoin & you will "go stupid".

While many of you may have already watched this video I will post a link for its relevance to this discussion.

Shit Bitcoin Fanatics Say, Part 1 http://youtu.be/reo7WbibxaQ

The relevance come from a couple of comments he made on bitcoin. The majority of the video will make you laugh and perhaps laugh in self reflection.

• "Instantaneous transactions"
  • "No transactions fee's"

1MoBi1eNbqh8QMuvtZjYzQGV8NEckJJYcT rep|GnuPG <3 CLAM <3
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 07:46:11 PM

if you woulda bought 1k for $15 you could have sold for 1.2mil.

It seems that on PAPER you can be a millionaire, but it's damn near impossible to actually cash these things out in big amounts into fiat currency. This, to me, is a very huge sign that bitcoin's value is not what the exchanges say it is.

You're wrong, you can buy many things of high value with bitcoin. And it doesn't matter, selling 1k bitcoin isn't hard, it would be a swift process. Especially if you just want to cash out fast you can sell for less than market and they will fly off the shelf.
sgravina

Activity: 451

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 09:21:31 PM

financial institution.

I am not sure I understand ... are you saying this statement is stupid and or incorrect?

I was just trying to be funny.  but it has turned out that most peer-to-peer payments do also go through a financial institution.  So the original claim has not come true, yet.  But honestly it isn't stupid.  I'm more interested in things worth hearing than stupid things.
fryarminer

Activity: 686

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 02:05:09 AM

That bitcoin's value isn't 'based on anything' ...... when in comparison to fiat currency.

Next time someone says that to me, I'm going to respond: "Yeah, and what's gold's value based on? Gold's value isn't based on anything either!"
The whole concept of having "value based on" something, is that paper money is paper money and is not worth more than paper.

Both of those statements are false. Gold is valuable because it is rare, prized for it's beauty, it has very useful properties such as its conductivity making it useful in certain (expensive) applications, etc...

Fiat currency is backed by a government, protecting its holders from complete devaluation except in the event of that government's collapse. Think what you will about governments and fiat currency, but that is the truth. Can they print more and de-value it? Sure. But it can never go down to zero (cryptos can and do) and if fiat goes down too much the government can step in and try to improve the situation.

Ok, I could say the same thing about bitcoin. It is valuable because it is rare, difficult to mine and has useful properties as a currency. So just as gold is not backed by anything but rather has intrinsic value, so also bitcoin has intrinsic value.

I don't care for fiat. The fact that our actions can be traced by others because of using fiat makes me kinda not want to use it. Get this: I got a new visa the other day. Swiped it once. Went to Google Play to update my credit card info. I clicked "New Card". A box popped up: "Is it this one?"
Ruthful

Activity: 195

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:41:56 AM

"Bitcoin is completely anonymous and can never be traced"
LagerFan

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:41:05 AM

"Bitcoin has no intrinsic value, unlike paper money"
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 06:59:03 AM

"descentralized". Bitcoin developers give the rules and may/do change them any time they want to.
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 07:30:27 AM

That it is worthless since no one accepts it as payment. 
Nimuecrypto.com

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 07:32:17 AM

That it is only used by criminals and drug dealers.  This is very interesting considering I bought a motherboard from Tigerdirect with it just this evening. 
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 07:44:19 AM

My SO has banned me from buying bitcoin. I watched bitcoin go down to $425 / BTC on coinbase briefly a couple days ago, but I was unable to take advantage of it. My SO has declared, "Bidcoin is just a ponzi scheme cooked up by nerds. If you buy any bidcoin, I will break up with you. I don't sleep with nerds."  Cry

So, I called up my "nerd" buddy and told about the low price, he bought in and now is sitting on a 30% profit. He made $3000 in less than 48 hours (he bought at $450/BTC, it's now $585 on Winkdex). My "nerd" buddy bought me a beer. At least I got a beer out of it.  Cheesy (I have to look at it from the bright side)
No pussy is worth not becoming a millionaire.

Dump her, you'll be able to buy and sell her and all her friends in 5 years, they'll be begging to lick your balls for a fraction of a BTC.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
miragecash

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 07:55:09 AM

My SO has banned me from buying bitcoin. I watched bitcoin go down to $425 / BTC on coinbase briefly a couple days ago, but I was unable to take advantage of it. My SO has declared, "Bidcoin is just a ponzi scheme cooked up by nerds. If you buy any bidcoin, I will break up with you. I don't sleep with nerds."  Cry

So, I called up my "nerd" buddy and told about the low price, he bought in and now is sitting on a 30% profit. He made $3000 in less than 48 hours (he bought at $450/BTC, it's now $585 on Winkdex). My "nerd" buddy bought me a beer. At least I got a beer out of it.  Cheesy (I have to look at it from the bright side)
No pussy is worth not becoming a millionaire.

Dump her, you'll be able to buy and sell her and all her friends in 5 years, they'll be begging to lick your balls for a fraction of a BTC.

Lol. I like the way you think. Lol  Grin

Bitcoin is not the only avenue to wealth. Opportunity knocks daily, you just have to be able to recognize it.
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 08:50:50 AM

The most stupid comment I've heard in recent times is:
Bitcoin went bankrupt and Bitcoin CEO has resigned. I think he was talking about mt-gox.

Joshuar

Activity: 504

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 02:46:29 PM

The absolute most stupid comment about Bitcoin is, " Gimme your bitcoin, I'll double it for free"

Hint: DO NOT GIVE HIM YOUR BITCOIN!!!

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
superdork

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 04:19:13 PM

Bitcoin is just another FIAT currency.  Roll Eyes

feel free to leave a tip in my daughter's college fund if you found my posts helpful 1HiCE3vX7yr7Yqy4yHf36x4w1cmSEsrTbM

(or if you just want some good karma!)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: