Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:44:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain Antminer U2  (Read 26260 times)
MoreBloodWine
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 01:29:04 AM

It came about when they decided to release Windows 8.1 free preview, so many people had used the same method with the free Windows 7 preview that they decided to make the recovery OS available for people who needed to switch back to the original OS because their hardware wouldn't run the upgrade and they couldn't find their back up.
Well I cant find any info to DL it, all I get is torrent stuff ;-(

I just go two U2's but I can only seem to get one running... not using a hub, direct port off the WinXP laptop like I did with my BE's these replaced.
There's your problem. Your 13 year old operating system gets confused when devices look identical to it. Go win7 or just about any linux instead.
I respect the fact of you authoring CGMiner but do you really have to make that childish of a post instead of actually trying to help ?
Offtopic: What on earth was childish about it? It was nothing but factual.
It just came across as a bit smartassish to me as if you werent trying to help even though you may have been in your own way.

If I had other avenues I'd use them, and technically I do have one, it's just a matter of finding a clean copy of Vista Home Premium.

Edit: So I probably read too much in to it than needed, I just get frustrated easily.

To be decided...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 01:52:09 AM

It came about when they decided to release Windows 8.1 free preview, so many people had used the same method with the free Windows 7 preview that they decided to make the recovery OS available for people who needed to switch back to the original OS because their hardware wouldn't run the upgrade and they couldn't find their back up.

I just go two U2's but I can only seem to get one running... not using a hub, direct port off the WinXP laptop like I did with my BE's these replaced.
There's your problem. Your 13 year old operating system gets confused when devices look identical to it. Go win7 or just about any linux instead.
I respect the fact of you authoring CGMiner but do you really have to make that childish of a post instead of actually trying to help ?
It just came across as a bit smartassish to me as if you werent trying to help even though you may have been in your own way.

If I had other avenues I'd use them, and technically I do have one, it's just a matter of finding a clean copy of Vista Home Premium.

Edit: So I probably read too much in to it than needed, I just get frustrated easily.
Probably. People's moods usually make them read text discussions according to their affect at the time. I need to post hundreds of messages a day and I have no choice but to keep them very terse and factual.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
MoreBloodWine
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 01:57:40 AM

The weird thing is, this same issue popped up on the BE's I have and I worked it out... it's just these damn U2's are being stubborn.

The easiest thing to do ATM would be to use the serial ID changer but I can't even get anything to load in the device list lol.

So ya, guess it's down to finding a clean copy of Vista HP ;-/

So yay for me getting two U2's in the mail today that I can't do shit with !

Probably. People's moods usually make them read text discussions according to their affect at the time. I need to post hundreds of messages a day and I have no choice but to keep them very terse and factual.

To be decided...
hurricandave
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 02:32:33 AM

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/57-windows-vista-direct-download-links
 This link may post, I don't know. I have used it in the past to recover computers that had the hard drive missing but the product key code was still available. It will require 7-zip and ImgBurn to create a bootable disk for installing a clean Vista OS. Its looks more complicated than it really is. No TOR No pirate yada yada yada. It uses the same ImgBurn method that Microsoft instructed people to use when they offered Win 7 & Win8.1 free previews. But XP won't work after you do this.
hurricandave
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 02:34:31 AM

Oh yeah, I got this link from Microsoft support several years ago, I did not just happen upon it.
MoreBloodWine
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 03:03:14 AM

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/57-windows-vista-direct-download-links
 This link may post, I don't know. I have used it in the past to recover computers that had the hard drive missing but the product key code was still available. It will require 7-zip and ImgBurn to create a bootable disk for installing a clean Vista OS. Its looks more complicated than it really is. No TOR No pirate yada yada yada. It uses the same ImgBurn method that Microsoft instructed people to use when they offered Win 7 & Win8.1 free previews. But XP won't work after you do this.
1) Thx, will give it a look.
2) Figured as much about XP but I have my sticker and key for that as well if needed, just never got the Vista disc with this laptop.
3) Have 7-zip, think I have ImgBurn as well from when I set up my rPi so I should be G2G

Thx for everything thus far, will post back if I need further help !

Edit: Seems some of the links are intermittently dead lol, but I got install.wim and boot.wim downloading, just need to try and catch a good link on the exe.

After I get ImgBurn, I guess the trick will be doing this right if you might wish to help instructing me via PM so not to clog this post ?

To be decided...
hurricandave
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 03:39:51 AM

Yeah, should be able to just click the icon I think its activated. I have to walk the prop' from time to time but doesn't take to long.
MoreBloodWine
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 03:48:24 AM

Actually, before I get to that point of no return.

I should ask this, will Vista fix the problem at hand or is it just Win 7 and any linux disro like ck was talkin about ?

To be decided...
hurricandave
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 04:33:13 AM

I skipped Vista, went from XP to 7 Pro-64 bit. Now you may consider that going to Vista may buy you a small amount of better security overall since XP support is over. Your going to need to upgrade eventually. Do it RIGHT NOW, or take a little more time and figure out if you are ready to upgrade, ie. back up your hard drive and make sure you have this or that.
 Is this the absolute answer to the USB policy..... I'm not sure, do you have a powered/or unpowered hub available to test first. It may be that separating the devices to... one in the laptop port and the other loaded on an interface USB device could trick XP into allowing both to work.
MoreBloodWine
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 05:11:14 AM

I skipped Vista, went from XP to 7 Pro-64 bit. Now you may consider that going to Vista may buy you a small amount of better security overall since XP support is over. Your going to need to upgrade eventually. Do it RIGHT NOW, or take a little more time and figure out if you are ready to upgrade, ie. back up your hard drive and make sure you have this or that.
 Is this the absolute answer to the USB policy..... I'm not sure, do you have a powered/or unpowered hub available to test first. It may be that separating the devices to... one in the laptop port and the other loaded on an interface USB device could trick XP into allowing both to work.
No hubs to test, and even if Vista does sole he current problem at hand it doesn't matter since the EXE file isn't being found... ATM all I was able to download are the two wim files.

To be decided...
hurricandave
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 05:21:10 AM

What brand/model is the Laptop?
MoreBloodWine
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 05:34:16 AM

What brand/model is the Laptop?
Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5895

To be decided...
hurricandave
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 06:04:12 AM

Most Toshiba laptops with come with the factory software recovery image stored in a special hidden partition on the hard drive of the laptop. The factory software recovery image allows the user to recover the laptop to its factory fresh condition as when it was new.
This partition may also be referred to as the Partitioned Recovery Method or Free Recovery option.

That statement is Cut-n-paste from Toshiba Support.
   It might be worth looking into for you. It says some where about going to page 62? User Guide and Manual. For instructions. I don't know if you wiped this out already but it might still be there.
MoreBloodWine
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 06:07:29 AM

Most Toshiba laptops with come with the factory software recovery image stored in a special hidden partition on the hard drive of the laptop. The factory software recovery image allows the user to recover the laptop to its factory fresh condition as when it was new.
This partition may also be referred to as the Partitioned Recovery Method or Free Recovery option.

That statement is Cut-n-paste from Toshiba Support.
   It might be worth looking into for you. It says some where about going to page 62? User Guide and Manual. For instructions. I don't know if you wiped this out already but it might still be there.
I tried looking but couldnt find it so if it's hidden it's hidden well. When I installed XP I formatted the HDD so I don't know i that would have wiped the partition as well or just the main C drive.

FWIW though, the partition wouldnt suit current needs as it would lose everything on the drive right now. So at present the best option to save everything would be to hopefully get a working link for the exe download and then just "upgrade" everything thus preserving current contents.

To be decided...
hurricandave
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 06:29:12 AM

When you format the hard drive it asks if you want it to wipe the drive entirely clean. The Looooong method, or just format the large partition. The recovery partition would probably be only 120 MB in size. Basically.
  Even trying to run two identical CD-ROM's is impossible with XP and I don't know if that was resolved with Vista or 7.
    Unless Silabs tool lets you assign a unique serial number to each device and XP recognizes it as different devices you may have to walk towards the bright light and submit XP or your second U2. Cry
MoreBloodWine
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 06:32:56 AM

When you format the hard drive it asks if you want it to wipe the drive entirely clean. The Looooong method, or just format the large partition. The recovery partition would probably be only 120 MB in size. Basically.
  Even trying to run two identical CD-ROM's is impossible with XP and I don't know if that was resolved with Vista or 7.
    Unless Silabs tool lets you assign a unique serial number to each device and XP recognizes it as different devices you may have to walk towards the bright light and submit XP or your second U2. Cry
In regards to ilabs, I tried two different tools and none would populate the device list lol.

Not submiting anything yet but it would be nice to get this damn exe link to work...

To be decided...
jparsley

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 06:38:59 AM

This looks nice, very cheap and low power

please unban me.
hurricandave
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 06:39:36 AM

Its an ooohhhhllldd link I had socked away in a dark corner I have nooo idea if the path is still valid for the Vista OS. You could also try FILE GURU they have links to recovery media but look carefully before you click they have adtraffic sponsored tiles that just take you to key word search engines.
omgbossis21

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 08:07:52 AM

Any way to clock past 2.2 with bfg?  I have two of these plugged in my desktop usb  ports running at 2.2 with 0 errors so I figure I can overclock it a bit more..... 
MoreBloodWine
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 08:15:39 AM

Any way to clock past 2.2 with bfg?  I have two of these plugged in my desktop usb  ports running at 2.2 with 0 errors so I figure I can overclock it a bit more..... 
Not sure but speaking of OC'ing.

I'm running CGminer on a windows laptop running the exe in a minimized cmd window. Unlike linux where commands can be given etc., how might one go about trying to OC woth my setup ?

Not looking to tweak it to 2.2 or more like the quote which will more than likely burn the ASIC's out in no time. I just want to try and get a steady 2.0 from the current 1.58/9 average.

To be decided...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: