Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:09:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Smart Contracts - just a buzzword or are they applicable to the real world?  (Read 394 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 04:13:14 PM

I think a Sia-like storage solution, in the long term, should be drastically cheaper than a centralized product. The reason is that it's - at least partly - using unused space, and that there are potentially billions of providers.

I thought that it is already drastically cheaper than centralized solutions right now.

From the Sia website:
Far More Affordable
On average, Sia's decentralized cloud storage costs 90% less than
incumbent cloud storage providers. Storing 1TB of files on Sia costs about $2 per month,
compared with $23 on Amazon S3.

For a single hotel, this is another example where you don't need the whole network to calculate your computation
because you need a centralized party "managing" it. As a hotel owner, you could simply create that "smart contract"
on your own servers - as a "standard software application". Why would you want thousands of nodes to compute that contract?

I wasn´t thinking about a single hotel, but rather about the big hotel companies that own
hundreds of hotels (e.g. Radisson Blu). But after reading your reply I have to admit that even in
this scenario there isn´t really a need for thousands of nodes to compute that contract.

I´ll post here again when if I come up with a better idea. Coming up with useful
applications for smart contracts is incredibly hard in any case (even though all
the companies in the Ethereum Enterprise Alliance seem to disagree with me for now).
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 6006

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 06:17:56 PM

I thought that it is already drastically cheaper than centralized solutions right now.

From the Sia website:
Far More Affordable
On average, Sia's decentralized cloud storage costs 90% less than
incumbent cloud storage providers. Storing 1TB of files on Sia costs about $2 per month,
compared with $23 on Amazon S3.
Yes, I have investigated a bit some months ago, and it was really very cheap. However, this was also partly due to low usage (only about 1% or less of the capacity were used). We know that with high supply and poor demand prices stay low. But also if that changes and demand picks up, Sia should stay much cheaper - because it's using unused space and everybody that's online 24/7 can participate.

Coming up with useful
applications for smart contracts is incredibly hard in any case (even though all
the companies in the Ethereum Enterprise Alliance seem to disagree with me for now).
Exactly. Maybe we can find some more use cases here, I think that's what Gyrsur wanted. Until now we have seen (apart from financial dapps):
- Storage management
- Proof of computation
- maybe Proof of connection

I remember when Ethereum folks were all talking about a "decentralized Uber" with autonomous cars. That has exactly the same problems like the decentralized AirBNB I mentioned - nobody could know if a car is real or simply a number some hacker copied there, and otherwise we need oracles and a centralized surveillance system.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████