Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 01:37:32 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: it's too hot in the room!  (Read 788 times)
bobo012

Activity: 714
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 08:40:34 AM

Air conditioning. Lol. Stupid newb

It is expensive solution if you dont have it and spends a lot of electricity. Some miners are on the verge of limitators in the house. In my apartment it si fixed at 7kwh, and i would need to remove miners to run AC.
I just installed some fans and opened the windows. Tempts that you have are not critical and they can work no problem. I have some cards that are constantly over 90 celsius, but they are blower cards. GPUs are made to endure high tempts and can work until winter comes in that conditions. if you are worried bring the cocks down.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 09:51:56 AM

Well, previously when I run my GPU hot, I got a melted riser.

You sure you didn't accidentally use bad wiring to get that melted riser? Such as a poorly connected +12V?

Because its very rare for an riser to melt due to GPU heat. The GPU might run at 80-90C but that's at the chip level, the rest of the PCB is most likely around 50-60C and shouldn't be able to melt the riser.

This is actually the first time I am hearing something such as this.

Same here... Never heard of of such!

I've experienced melted riser but not because of GPU temps

its due to bad wirings, wire gauge and power handling issue that I use

3 usb riser on a single molex rail

In my Setup most effective and cheapest to manage heat is to blow hot air outside, and let fresh air in

a Two industrial blower type fans solve it

KougarLOB

Activity: 136
Merit: 16

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 04:00:02 PM

https://ibb.co/f6p6He
https://ibb.co/cFJcOK
https://ibb.co/bGxRHe
https://ibb.co/kuhFAz

38° near the rigs, open windows. i dont use air conditioned. but i guess if i would like to mine when it's hot with more stuff i have to use it. . people help me . it is already the second time i have to sell all in april and when its hot i dont mine.
Not only hot but how can you sleep with all that noise. 
yes thereisnt much noise

Just gonna say this and leave the thread - those are terrible pictures.  Terrible.  Awful.  Bad.  Boooo!
(as a show of support I will now contribute to the discussion.)
Find another algo that runs cooler.  Or do hashing the old fashion way with pencil and paper, before CPUs dominated the network
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3dqhixzGVo

1ER7JwEjpjQfm4qaTxy6EaNdNy8MqzP1pt  Smiley
KougarLOB

Activity: 136
Merit: 16

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 04:05:17 PM

I think Nelly had a song a while back about the woes in dealing with high temperatures in his mining rooms.  He's quite the forward thinking as it was strangely written before the advent of Bitcoin.

1ER7JwEjpjQfm4qaTxy6EaNdNy8MqzP1pt  Smiley
Iannn

Activity: 52
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 05:02:39 PM

Yeah I have a massive hvac belt driven blower pushing air in and a window fan taking air out in my garage.  But I leave for days at a time and it does get hot here certain times of the year.  It will be uncomfortably warm out there but I run Linux and have my cards set at 70 so if they start to heat up over that the power level will drop till they get back down and then when it cools off they will rev back up.  But yeah with Windows and afterburner I have done the same thing setting the temp limits.  It seemed to work the short time I was mining on windows.  But yeah windows alone will roast your gpu's.  It will allow them to get hotter than I would want that is for sure.
hairysun

Activity: 15
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 06:33:24 PM

Yep, pretty much what several others have said.  A good sized fan in the window that sucks out hot air (Preferably near the ceiling as hottest air is there).  I have a lower half window that just lets cooler outside air get pulled in due to negative room pressure from the fan.  Additional fans move the cooler air around at floor level to direct it at rigs.

https://imgur.com/orUWhfc

Temperature settings in afterburner throttle the cards if I get above 72 degrees.  Not really an issue that I have seen.  I have the rigs set up on metal shelves and the floor level rigs stay several degrees cooler than the next shelf up.  If I had to do again I would eliminate the upper level rigs and keep everything floor level.

Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 09:21:19 PM

Took a quick look at your temps. Your Gtx 1080ti is running quite hot. You should throttle it down. Are you Running MSI afterburner? You should manually set up your fan speeds to 70% manually. BTW your 37 Degree room temperature is with Air Conditioning or without? I had my rigs run in a 45 Degrees Room temp. They have been mining at stable 70 Degrees for the past 3 months without a hitch. I don't have any sort of Air conditioning for them. Target the number 70 and you should be good.

As for what more you should do. I believe you have done enough with Open windows, Table cooling Fan and air conditioning. You can't do anything more than this, Except for blasting out the Air condition 24/7 but it won't be profitable. Good luck!
shinharu10282016

Activity: 700
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 09:38:38 PM

Why do you sleep where your GPUs are? I think that's bad for your health with the AC turned on and the GPUs heating in one room. It will give you sickness dude. You should read about how to manage to mine and living under one roof, not in one room.

Plus I think this would be a concern if you are in a residential area if it is not, then its good. But you should really look into it. Maybe create a room for your GPUs and a room for yourself.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 02:50:09 AM

Not only hot but how can you sleep with all that noise. 

When did he ever say that he was sleeping in his mining room? Lol.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
gotminer

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 02:57:23 AM
Merited by edwardceng (2)

That's 31 gpu's in a small room.  Since the point I took that picture, I've closed the second window and put a filter between the screen in the other window and the intake fan.  It also works just fine with filter only.  The exhaust fan pulls air in through the window, but the filter does slow it down some.  I also have 20" box fans on the back of each mining rig blowing air through them.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
edwardceng

Activity: 266
Merit: 50

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 07:35:19 AM

I see it's not clear, like VPM or ordinary fans? If I use VPM which is assembled for each rig, I have used a regular fan but what happens, the heat that's blown isn't as efficient as using VPM, btw, overall I see your mining room very lovely and comfortable.

leonix007

Grow with community

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 07:44:21 AM

Wow... what a sexy setup bro gotminer

I'm really impressed on the cleanliness of your mining cave

carpet floor and a well ventilated room

looking at your GPU babies are seems happy doing mining

Shocked Shocked Shocked
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 10:22:51 AM

air conditioned is not always on, i cannot . but with open windows air come in
I assume the room does not have much ventilation. You may use a fan those they use in the kitchen to take the heat away (blower type fans) from the room.
Here are some tricks I found which will be helpful if you don't have a budget for the blower fans : https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/76937902/Can-t-sleep-because-of-the-heat-Try-this-clever-fan-trick

The air condition is going to cost you more. So, it's not a good idea at all.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
ikicha

Activity: 788
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 10:42:59 AM

I have 9 RX570 GPU with 1 unit Air Conditioner 1/2 PK, and my GPU got 65 C temp
Grumo (OP)

Activity: 430
Merit: 22

Professional user

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2018, 12:52:09 PM

thanks to all, now I have made an idea on how it should be made ...maybe the problem is that the ceiling is too low .

Now the temperature is 34° in the room with all the fans spinning. i really dont understand why it is so. there is a stagnation of heat. it is not really simple solve this problem , someone told me to make a exhaust fan in the ceiling but before doing a so hard modification i try with fans at the windows like in the pics posted but putting hot air out , the one that i put in the dry wall does nothing

bTCBTCbiᴛcoinᗷTCethDOGEzecⅬTCUSDT
leonix007

Grow with community

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 02:00:57 PM

thanks to all, now I have made an idea on how it should be made ...maybe the problem is that the ceiling is too low .

Now the temperature is 34° in the room with all the fans spinning. i really dont understand why it is so. there is a stagnation of heat. it is not really simple solve this problem , someone told me to make a exhaust fan in the ceiling but before doing a so hard modification i try with fans at the windows like in the pics posted but putting hot air out , the one that i put in the dry wall does nothing

You might want to consider how much Temperature outside the room

As it contributes the air inlet

also how powerful your Exhaust fans and inlet Fans just in case you decided to replace your ACU's

gotminer

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 02:14:33 AM

Wow... what a sexy setup bro gotminer

I'm really impressed on the cleanliness of your mining cave

carpet floor and a well ventilated room

looking at your GPU babies are seems happy doing mining

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thanks.  It's just a spare upstairs bedroom in my house.  It's not perfect.  Sun hits that side of the house and it's also directly above my garage, which is not climate controlled, but it works with the proper ventilation. 

gotminer

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 02:24:24 AM

You need intake and exhaust and they shouldn't be on the same wall.  For the number of GPU's that I have, I pulled in cold air during the winter from one window and left the other window open as well.  That worked in the winter, because it got so cold, but it wouldn't have worked when summer came around.

I can't tell from your pictures what that fan in the wall is doing.  Is it pulling fresh air into your mining room from whatever is on the other side of that wall?  You might be ok if your intake fan is on one side of the room, gpu's in the middle, and exhaust out the window on the other side of the room.  You also might want to consider a more powerful fan.  Cheap 20" box fan to pull hot air out of the room might not be enough.

Grumo (OP)

Activity: 430
Merit: 22

Professional user

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2018, 08:01:46 AM

now i have added a 40cm fan next the windows that pull air from it to the rigs, the fan in the dry wall iss on and create a flow . the temps are more low and stable now

bTCBTCbiᴛcoinᗷTCethDOGEzecⅬTCUSDT
Privatoria

Activity: 352
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2018, 03:12:04 PM

In a view to decrease hot temperature you have to downvolt your cards at the minimum. It is very easy to do with MSI Afterburner for Nvidia cards (800mV and -400 Mhz on GPU Core) and in BAT-file for Claymore (840-850 mV on Core and memory and 1100 Mhz on Core).
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: