Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:49:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2000+ CPU Cores - what sort of performance  (Read 3096 times)
s3quattro (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 06:20:47 PM

Hi everybody! I'm new here and did search for this sort of thing but didn't come up with much that was relevant.

I manage a network of 600+ PCs, they comprise of the following:

150x Intel i5 2.5ghz quad core, 4gb ram
450x Intel Core 2 duo 2.5-3.2ghz, 2-4gb ram
10 Intel Xeon workstations. quad core,, 6gb ram
+512 NVidia Cuda GPU cores.

So physical CPU core count = 1540+, and Cuda GPU Cores = 512.

All connected at 1Gb to switches, switches connected by fibre optic cables.

I would like to set up my own mining pool using "whenIdle" but wondering if its worth it? power consumption and cooling are not a concern.

I can easily create a central host to run the pool on the LAN.

What sort of result could this achieve? they are idle for several hours per day, many left on overnight doing nothing. But, if they were all idle 100% of the time, what would my likely khash be?

Many Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 06:40:43 PM

What do you mean by 512 NVidia Cuda GPU cores? What cards are you talking about?

With CPUs you are looking at 3/4Ghash/second and a huge increase in electricity costs. You could replace all that by a handful of ATI cards. You have got the worst hardware for mining.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 06:46:45 PM

Does this help?

http://bitcoinx.com/profit/index.php

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
s3quattro (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 06:48:33 PM

What do you mean by 512 NVidia Cuda GPU cores? What cards are you talking about?

With CPUs you are looking at 3/4Ghash/second and a huge increase in electricity costs. You could replace all that by a handful of ATI cards. You have got the worst hardware for mining.

Hi,

cheers for the response. 512 Cuda GPU cores come from 2x Quadro 4000.

It was just an idea, the units are there already running, I don't have to buy anything its just the time setting it up. These are just PCs that are sitting idle for most of there time. power use age is no problem either, so think of it as free electricity and hardware.

Thanks

s3quattro (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 06:52:16 PM

thanks, ill have a read through and try and work out what levels I might be able to achieve. Then Ill be able to work out the possible monthly income.
nmat

Activity: 602

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 06:52:55 PM

Hi,

cheers for the response. 512 Cuda GPU cores come from 2x Quadro 4000.

It was just an idea, the units are there already running, I don't have to buy anything its just the time setting it up. These are just PCs that are sitting idle for most of there time. power use age is no problem either, so think of it as free electricity and hardware.

2 Quadros don't change anything. Like I said, you have around 3/4Ghash/s.See here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Just let me tell you that whoever is paying for that electricity will notice the consumption increase. Which means that if you don't have the permission to use the computers for mining you will get caught.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 07:02:35 PM

My Q9550 make like 20mhash/s, so i expect your more recent quadcores to make a bit more. Dual cores will make like half of that
And the 2 quadro well i dunno, try them and tell us, i'm curious

The problem is, you will spend MUCH MORE in electricity, cpu and nvidia sucks at mining. Few ATI could easily surpass your center without problems.

Let me do a bit of math:

You have like 3.5 ghash/s from the quadcores
and 4.5 ghash/s from the dualcores
then add something (like 40mhash/s) from the two quadro.

Problem, ten 6990 can achieve the same performance.

terrytibbs

Activity: 560

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 07:06:41 PM

Take a look at some of the CPU-specific cryptocurrencies in the Alternate cryptocurrencies. Most of them are convertible back into bitcoins. The most profitable one right now is probably Litecoin, followed by (in no particular order) Tenebrix, SolidCoin and Fairbrix.

Full disclosure: I maintain and host the Litecoin website and wiki.
terrytibbs

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 07:08:21 PM

Take a look at some of the CPU-specific cryptocurrencies in the Alternate cryptocurrencies. Most of them are convertible back into bitcoins. The most profitable one right now is probably Litecoin, followed by (in no particular order) Tenebrix, SolidCoin and Fairbrix.

Full disclosure: I maintain and host the Litecoin website and wiki.
s/cryptocurrencies/cryptocurrencies subforum/

Scammers - littering your forums because of stupid policies one post at a time.
Bitmetal

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 09:11:29 PM

I could imagine people coming into that office on a Monday morning wondering why it's so damn hot in there. I think the drone of 600 overheating PC's would likely be a dead giveaway.  Cheesy
rmbell

Activity: 12

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 09:22:41 PM

Just let me tell you that whoever is paying for that electricity will notice the consumption increase. Which means that if you don't have the permission to use the computers for mining you will get caught.

+1 to that. Electricity is never 'free' and it will be quite a jump in costs when their next bill comes.
s3quattro (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 09:37:59 PM

My Q9550 make like 20mhash/s, so i expect your more recent quadcores to make a bit more. Dual cores will make like half of that
And the 2 quadro well i dunno, try them and tell us, i'm curious

The problem is, you will spend MUCH MORE in electricity, cpu and nvidia sucks at mining. Few ATI could easily surpass your center without problems.

Let me do a bit of math:

You have like 3.5 ghash/s from the quadcores
and 4.5 ghash/s from the dualcores
then add something (like 40mhash/s) from the two quadro.

Problem, ten 6990 can achieve the same performance.

Thanks Gabi.

Ill run some tests on the quadro 4000s and post it back, and ill do some testing on individual processors to see the actual rates.

they would never be running 24/7 anyway, and I might be able to get 2-4 hours per PC per day on average, with the few left on over night adding to it as well. When they are being used the CPUs are fairly well used anyway and its not like Im suddenly turning on 600 pcs and having them all running at 100% CPU just for this.  If I ended up with 500MHash/s running per month id be extremely happy! I'm not thinking its a plan to get rich from, just a couple of BTC here and there and supporting the cause a little.

I also have a virtual infrastructure of 128 xeon cores with 256Gb ram that doesn't do much outside of business hours....that could easily chip in a little too with vms with the lowest priority CPUs. any other request will come first with no risk to the platform. half of it could easily be used from 8pm to 6am.

Thanks
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 09:41:15 PM

Hi everybody! I'm new here and did search for this sort of thing but didn't come up with much that was relevant.

I manage a network of 600+ PCs, they comprise of the following:

150x Intel i5 2.5ghz quad core, 4gb ram
450x Intel Core 2 duo 2.5-3.2ghz, 2-4gb ram
10 Intel Xeon workstations. quad core,, 6gb ram
+512 NVidia Cuda GPU cores.

Core i5s difference between idle and full load is ~80W at the wall. x150= 12KW
Core 2 duo's, if you are lucky, ~65W difference at the wall, x450 =~ 30KW

Ignoring the xeons and quadro's, thats 42KW. With an average US price of $0.11 per KWH, that could be $3000/month. Could be closer to $10.000 if you factor in air conditioning. You think no one will notice? I mean, even if the fuses dont blow.

terrytibbs

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 09:42:56 PM

+1 to that. Electricity is never 'free' and it will be quite a jump in costs when their next bill comes.
I used to do consultancy work for a company which generated electricity as a by-product of their main product, some sort of polymer. They sold some of it to the electric company, but those guys would only want to buy so much.

They didn't bother to turn off their screens, and the lights were always on, because, quite frankly, it was energy that would've gone to waste anyway.
MSAvenger

Activity: 29

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 06:12:06 PM

Great hardware for Solidcoin and Litecoin mining, but awful for Bitcoin. You would have some decent hash rate but performance per watt will be terrible.
mokimarket

Activity: 422
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 06:16:57 PM

bitcoins would be great if all this "computation work" all these machines do went to something productive like the calculation of weather models, financial systems,...
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 09:28:50 PM

bitcoins would be great if all this "computation work" all these machines do went to something productive like the calculation of weather models, financial systems,...
Nice, find a way to do it.

Meanwhile please stfu instead of saying idiocies. Ask yourself WHY bitcoin work in that way.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: