Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:30:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We should become shareholders of MtGox and save it!  (Read 2226 times)
5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 01:07:20 PM

Yes, Mark would feel fine since all clients got back their money. But he would lose his firm, in worst case get just $1 after the IPO

You're OK with Mark feeling fine? I want him to feel the pain he has caused. And I want that to be in the back of the mind of every exchange owner.

The bankers felt fine after destroying the world economy and receiving a bailout. How is that working out?

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:08:53 PM

Yes, Mark would feel fine since all clients got back their money. But he would lose his firm, in worst case get just $1 after the IPO

You're OK with Mark feeling fine? I want him to feel the pain he has caused. And I want that to be in the back of the mind of every exchange owner.

The bankers felt fine after destroying the world economy and receiving a bailout. How is that working out?

the whole idea in the OP is not too dissimilar to something that an incompetent CEO may suggest himself, after failing miserably as a businessman.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
thelema93

Activity: 339

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:09:38 PM

I am taking legal action against Karpeles/ Mt Gox - ASAP.
Anyone want to join me see my thread for info:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=490247.0

p.s. I like the idea of the OP - but how would we achieve that? Call up Mark and ask him?!!! If there is a way to do that please tell me.

gollum (OP)

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:13:22 PM

I am taking legal action against Karpeles/ Mt Gox - ASAP.
Anyone want to join me see my thread for info:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=490247.0

p.s. I like the idea of the OP - but how would we achieve that? Call up Mark and ask him?!!! If there is a way to do that please tell me.

Maybe Mark Karpeles and his friends read bitcointalk and reddit?
We can hope so.
BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 01:40:50 PM

From what i read somewhere they already started the process of bankruptcy. If we would be able to solve it this way it would be used more often. But I'm also afraid it also would be rather bad idea for investment. Owners apparently don't care that much and they would still be in charge of everything until shareholders would gather all together.

Abracadaver

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 01:53:37 PM

I liked this idea yesterday, but that was before Mark admitted that +800.000 coins were lost. So there are no coins to trade, I don't expect other people to deposit...
Aditya

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 05:59:08 PM

Well... you need Jordan Belfort to do that

ATLAS.WORK     ║   WHITEPAPER  •  BOUNTIES  •  TELEGRAM     ║     JOIN THE FREELANCE REVOLUTION
joehal

Activity: 93

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:39:37 AM

Secondly - Bitcoin is supposed to be decentralised. If we cannot allow parts of the Bitcoin ecosystem to die off, we cannot make that claim. We should let MtGox die and use this as proof that the network, the community, the technology is decentralised and resilient.

Opting for the "too important to fail" position dramatically weakens the evolutionary process of Bitcoin services. It should fail, and fail fast. This is the market in operation.

Mark would not be involved with this new exchange. In fact this is an opportunity to build the first truly safe and transparent exchange. You are opposed to the chance to build an exchange led by thousands of users. This venture could set an example for all other exchanges who otherwise could turn up one day bankrupt.
joehal

Activity: 93

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:42:47 AM

I liked this idea yesterday, but that was before Mark admitted that +800.000 coins were lost. So there are no coins to trade, I don't expect other people to deposit...

People will deposit once they will find out the management is completely new, no Mark in sight, and in fact everything would be completely open, as opposed to bitstamp and other exchanges who operate today with closed doors, just like mt gox operated.

Im guessing if we could build that, this new exchange gox 2.0 would be the biggest, attracting most of the users from the other exchanges.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:48:00 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2014, 03:22:09 AM by DeathAndTaxes

MtGox starts an IPO of 500 million dollars

IPO probably doesn't mean what you think it does because no Bitcoin related company has ever had an IPO.  The timeline for a public offering is measured in years and requires solid revenue, operating history, and a minimum capitalization.  MtGox doesn't meet the criteria for listing on any exchange, and is currently in bankruptcy so that is dead in the water.

In the real world an Initial Public Offering isn't something done trivially.  Even coinbase or bitpay have no shot of an IPO today, maybe in a couple more years if they continue to be well run, and grow their businesses.

You may mean a private placement?  A debt for equity swap is one method of funding a private placement.  There are two issues with that, the first is private placements are limited to accredited investors and in Japan they are limited to 49 shareholders.
Fuddlynn

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:03:52 AM

I too think it is in everyone's best interest to see a new and improved crypto trading exchange even better than Mt Gox where Mt Gox victims get a share of their losses in ownership.  Even if the migration is to a P2P decentralized exchange and leaves old management out of the new management, I don't see where the community at large has anything to gain by having so many people with so many losses on a protocol that quite frankly is not ready for prime time.

Bitcoin still needs to become easier for mainstream users and until then, we need all the cheerleaders we can get.  And a better exchange wouldn't hurt either.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:18:46 AM

...and is currently in bankruptcy so that is dead in the water.

The time to save Gox has passed.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: