Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:25:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Economically speaking, the current situation is:
just ok, bitcoin is strong - 42 (22.6%)
not good but everything will be fine - 104 (55.9%)
terrible, the end is near! - 40 (21.5%)
Total Voters: 186

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A cracker owning 850,000btc. How bad is that?  (Read 6857 times)
pera (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 261

­バカ

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:47:40 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2014, 04:16:00 PM by pera

So MagicalTux and his lawyer confirmed that some cracker gained illegal access to their systems and stole 850k coins, don't ask me how that is possible...

Since many old bitcoins are most probably unspendable, what real percentage of bitcoin's market cap is now owned by a shady cracker? I would say something between 10% and 20%, which means that now one person with no moral values could destroy the economy at any moment.

I'm really worried. I saw a lot of bad things over the last 4 years but nothing like this.

Bitcoin as a technology is still amazing, but the economical impact of one bad guy owning a loooot of coins is pretty scary  Sad

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rawted

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:55:31 PM

It really all depends on when the coins were stolen. If it truly happened back in 2011, it may very well have been one person. If it happened with the recent tx malleability issue, it had to be a group effort.

The thing that worries me more is if the US government actually has those coins from Gox (If they seized the coins under the premises of money laundering/drug sales from darknet). Gox coins + darknet coins would equal the US government holding ~10% of all minted coins. This is devastating if true.
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:56:54 PM

crackers and governments and shit having 850k coins

my reaction to these threads https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS7cMrIxghg
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:57:08 PM

I'm going to ask. How?

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:00:25 PM

If the coins were stolen a while ago like back in 2011 then I doubt its any bad for us now.

If all the coins went missing now and someone is still sitting on them then it could be the death blow to bitcoin.
Dissonance

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:13:42 PM

How does a hacker seal coins in cold storage ... they don't. 
pera (OP)

­バカ

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:14:11 PM

I am assuming that those bitcoins were stolen from their "cold storage" a few weeks ago, iirc gmaxwell said that they automatically send coins from their "cold storage" to their hot wallets when their hot wallets were empty Embarrassed

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
Rawted

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:15:34 PM

I am assuming that those bitcoins were stolen from their "cold storage" a few weeks ago, iirc gmaxwell said that they automatically send coins from their "cold storage" to their hot wallets  Embarrassed
Then they need a refresher course on the meaning of cold storage. That is deplorable if true.
Bitcoin BEAR

Activity: 143

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:16:27 PM

The thread title sounds a little racist  Undecided
pera (OP)

­バカ

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:19:07 PM

Huh sorry I am not sure if you are trolling, why "racist"? (english is not my first language, obviously)

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
Bitcoin BEAR

Activity: 143

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:21:38 PM

Huh sorry I am not sure if you are trolling, why "racist"? (english is not my first language, obviously)

Sorry! More of a joke than a troll...

In 'murica, a cracker is a derogatory name for a white person. I thought you were referring to Mark Smiley)

Carry on!
pera (OP)

­バカ

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:22:24 PM

Sorry! More of a joke than a troll...

In 'murica, a cracker is a derogatory name for a white person.

Carry on!
oh i see, no worries Smiley

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
Rawted

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:23:01 PM

He is referring to the term cracker. It's a slang for white people that dates back to the days of slavery. The white plantation owners would punish the black slaves with whips if they felt they did something wrong. They became known as whipcrackers, which over the years was shortened to cracker.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:24:12 PM

I am assuming that those bitcoins were stolen from their "cold storage" a few weeks ago, iirc gmaxwell said that they automatically send coins from their "cold storage" to their hot wallets when their hot wallets were empty Embarrassed

automatic and cold storage can't be used in the same sentence unless you have some sort of semi-aware robot involved.
V2Rocket

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:25:52 PM

I am assuming that those bitcoins were stolen from their "cold storage" a few weeks ago, iirc gmaxwell said that they automatically send coins from their "cold storage" to their hot wallets  Embarrassed
Then they need a refresher course on the meaning of cold storage. That is deplorable if true.

That really is mind-boggling...
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:37:42 PM

If the coins were scammed in 2011, then they probably have been already absorbed by the market.

If they were scammed in 2014, then a shitload of them is going to hit the remaining exchanges.
Assuming Bitstamp is now the leading exchange for good, and there are about 20k coins on the ask side,
if a significant number (let's say only 100k) of scammed (and tumbled) coins would show up there,
the price could enter a death spiral similar to the one seen on MtGox before shutting down.
Considering Bitstamp has added to their KYC questions this one: 'What is the origin of the deposited Bitcoins?',
they probably suspect some of the scammed MtGox coins were already sold there.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:43:21 PM

I think people are skipping over the implications of this.

If one single persons owns 6% of the money supply and closer to 8-9% with the current number of btc in circulation it is a terrible thing.

Nobody seems to be addressing this point. Somebody tried to answer with "well Satoshi has that many coins". Well yeah but he didnt steal them did he.

I mean imagine if btc went to 10k the real world spending power of that criminal would be insane. Far more than any cartels or other gangs have so that should be deeply concerning.
pera (OP)

­バカ

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:54:00 PM

Satoshi would never try to destroy Bitcoin, nor "criminals" from the onionland, but a cracker?...
The person who stole 850k don't give a shit about Bitcoin, this person don't have ideals, this person only cares about money.

back to the "cold storage" thing, I am not sure if this is real but:

gmaxwell: wumpus: yea, I understand they had timed automatic reissues... Sad this was also something I didn't know prior to monday before last and is one of the other reasons my "they couldn't have lost much!" position softened to "I have no freeking clue."
gmaxwell: alpha125: from mtgox staff and magicaltux ... I had assumed previously that any reissues were manual via customer support but apparently it was just timed.
http://pastebin.com/DaSph9uT

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
Apraksin

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

Moon?

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:02:57 PM

Hoverer, the cracker still suffer from the same market mechanisms as your standard whale. If he floods the market with 850 k he will in effect kill the golden goose, making all his coins worth zero. Unless he wants to destroy bitcoin what would be the point of that?
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:15:27 PM

Hoverer, the cracker still suffer from the same market mechanisms as your standard whale. If he floods the market with 850 k he will in effect kill the golden goose, making all his coins worth zero. Unless he wants to destroy bitcoin what would be the point of that?

What is the liquidity of all the current markets?

That is how much his short term profits are... And that might be sufficient for one person to live nicely for a while...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: