Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:46:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable all in one bitcoin wallet  (Read 1763 times)
Mr.Coin (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 09:45:02 AM
Last edit: October 18, 2011, 08:38:38 AM by Mr.Coin

I've been tooling around with this idea for a few weeks. When I go to trade Bitcoins with someone I've never met, I'm a little uneasy about bringing a laptop.

Basically its just a mini usb wifi and jump drive crammed into an ultra small usb hub.
I got the hub at http://www.usbfever.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=398 it's 10.99 plus shipping.

The wifi adapter I got off ebay for about $6, I had the micro usb adapter and card. A micro jump drive shouldn't go for that much.

You'll need an exacro knife, pliers, flat head screw driver, wire(IDE cabling works great.), soldering iron and  Multipurpose Repair Putty.
The bottom part comes off rater easily, the top part is a little harder.  The circuit board is glued to the case, after you gently remove the top half use the flat
 heat to push the board out.  Use the pliers and soldering iron to remove the outside metal of the 3 bottom usbs and the power connecter.  Take a knife and
 pop the connecters out.(I forgot to take a picture.)

Bend it 90 degrees and slowly pull the plastic off.  Use the exacto knife to take off the casing on the wifi adapter and the jump drive.
Solder the wifi adapter to the middle usb put some tape on it so it won't short(don't cover the antenna.)

De-solder the 4 usb metal connecters, then solder wiring to it and to the jump drive. Plug the hub in your computer, to make sure it got soldered correctly.
Get a piece of paper and put the bottom cap on it.  Mix up some putty and fill in the gaps.  Don't fill it all the way up, you'll need some room for
the jump drive to fit.

Sand and paint it, I haven't drilled a hole in it for a key ring yet.

Load up Linux and install the drivers for the wifi card. Take it with you when yourout to buy or sell something.  It's a bit easier and safer
to carry this around than a 10 or 15 inch laptop with you.  Before you take off to trade, load some coins in the wallet on the drive.
Plug it into any computer boot from the jump drive and trade. I know there's a program that can force most computers
that have a cd drive to boot from a jump drive.  You could even load up Linuxcoin and hook it up to a computer at work.

I'd be willing to pay a Linux coder to make a boot-able image.  Unfortunately with current prices it wouldn't be much. 
The requirements are that it be small, boot up fast, bitcoin(obliviously), the Realtek wifi usb drivers(from what I can tell most of the micro wifi's
are made by them), web browser, calculator, stick notes would be nice but a txt editor will do, a gui wifi interface and ask each time when it's
shutting down to save what you've done.  If your interested send me a PM with how many coins you'll work for.

Writing was never my strong suit,  but I hope I've done a decent job explaining how to make it.  If you want to throw a few fractions of a coin my way
I'd appreciate it, but please don't feel obligated to.  12RJz2PrRfbG52LuUtt4ST6ULU9UqAzHRL

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2011, 10:03:00 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=10285.0

These make good hiding spots for usb drives  Grin

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 05:54:04 PM

Could you describe what this combination of gadgets provides?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 07:07:19 PM

Could you describe what this combination of gadgets provides?
Yes, is this able to spend coins? Does it have an operating system? I don't get it. Embarrassed

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Mr.Coin (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 08:42:21 AM

Sorry about that, it hit me at work that I forgot to describe what its exactly used for.  I updated the post with what it's for.  It's the last paragraph.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 08:36:15 PM

Plug it into any computer boot from the jump drive and trade.

I think I got it.  It is a combo USB + Wi-Fi and nothing more?   And the advantage over just a plain old USB is that this has the Wi-Fi and proper drivers so that there need be no mucking around trying to get Wi-Fi to work ?

Or am I still missing the problem you are trying to solve with this?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2011, 11:01:24 AM

I love it. But an android phone worth <$100 with wallet or bitpay installed seems to superseed this, happily for most but a shame for your effort. The advantage here I suppose is that you can adapter it more with USB host mode, and also running linux code direct, and it seems like a useful thing anyway.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Mr.Coin (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 09:55:20 AM

The main reason for this project was for people that don't have a smart phone.
mameise

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2011, 10:13:38 AM

Well the basic idea of making bitcoin easyer to carry around is good, but this is not the breakthrough i think.

it should basicly be possible to make a stand alone device that has nfc and wifi with a small display to show amount, connect to wifi and so on. some buttons and an integrated
akku. maybe someone can program something for a microcontroller. with nfc you could do payments and with wifi you get connection to a server that confirms payments.
that could, with the right components, fit into a big bitcoin that can be used as keychain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: