Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:23:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reducing miscateogrized posts  (Read 3495 times)
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 08:38:25 PM

The system we have now to correct things manually upon identification is plenty good when you consider it requires no further changes to maintain.

It's not a massive problem anyway.
Oh, trust me: sometimes it is. Though it depends on the timeframe, but overall there are lots of posts that I move everyday. Some seem like honest mistakes, while some did that intentionally.

Back on topic, I think that even some rules can be enforced easier this way. For example a question: "Is this thread is about a website?" AND IF ANSWERED YES "Have you already made a thread about it?" would reduce on duplicate threads if the poster just didn't know the rules.

I suppose topics aren't posted that often, so to ask a few questions to guide the post to the correct forum wouldn't be too bothersome. The trouble I find is that you can't get a decent mapping between answers and forums without asking lots of questions.

Your proposal to ask questions to tackle the problem of duplicate threads could be useful, however once people are savvy to the mechanism they will simply click no, allowing them to post the topic. Also there may be legitimate cases to make a new topic.

I like the idea of using the questions to tackle other problems, rather than the miscategorisation issue, which is a complex one.
Topics are made quite often, just many of them get deleted or moved fast. Also, if you made a duplicate post with the mechanism in place, one could safely assume this intent was malicious.

Well, I wouldn't say that it would be a safe assumption that the intent was malicious, I mean would these questions be in multiple languages, or would it only be on the main, English forums?

They needn't be questions if you want the user to think about what they are posting, just simply assumptions that the agree to before making the post. It would be like having some forum rules spelt out in front of the user before creating the post.

I think that it has a very limited use case - they could simply make the thread under a different user.

I still think that the idea of having some mechanism to make users think about what they are posting. Ultimately the onus is still on the community and staff to clean up the mess.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2014, 09:16:08 PM

The system we have now to correct things manually upon identification is plenty good when you consider it requires no further changes to maintain.

Oh, trust me: sometimes it is. Though it depends on the timeframe, but overall there are lots of posts that I move everyday. Some seem like honest mistakes, while some did that intentionally.

Back on topic, I think that even some rules can be enforced easier this way. For example a question: "Is this thread is about a website?" AND IF ANSWERED YES "Have you already made a thread about it?" would reduce on duplicate threads if the poster just didn't know the rules.

I suppose topics aren't posted that often, so to ask a few questions to guide the post to the correct forum wouldn't be too bothersome. The trouble I find is that you can't get a decent mapping between answers and forums without asking lots of questions.

Your proposal to ask questions to tackle the problem of duplicate threads could be useful, however once people are savvy to the mechanism they will simply click no, allowing them to post the topic. Also there may be legitimate cases to make a new topic.

I like the idea of using the questions to tackle other problems, rather than the miscategorisation issue, which is a complex one.
Topics are made quite often, just many of them get deleted or moved fast. Also, if you made a duplicate post with the mechanism in place, one could safely assume this intent was malicious.

Well, I wouldn't say that it would be a safe assumption that the intent was malicious, I mean would these questions be in multiple languages, or would it only be on the main, English forums?

They needn't be questions if you want the user to think about what they are posting, just simply assumptions that the agree to before making the post. It would be like having some forum rules spelt out in front of the user before creating the post.

I think that it has a very limited use case - they could simply make the thread under a different user.

I still think that the idea of having some mechanism to make users think about what they are posting. Ultimately the onus is still on the community and staff to clean up the mess.
There are local mods who can translate the messages.

Aside from that, this kind of categorization could be done just for Jr. Members and bellow. Great way to introduce new members to the rules.

justusranvier (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 10:33:42 PM

once people are savvy to the mechanism they will simply click no, allowing them to post the topic. Also there may be legitimate cases to make a new topic.
It's easier for moderators to censure badly-behaving users if those users act in ways that take away their plausible deniability.

That's mostly what my original proposal was about - making it very difficult for an honest user to accidentally post in the wrong area. This means moderators can generally assume any post which posted in the wrong place was done so deliberately and respond accordingly without needing to second-guess themselves.
kuusj98

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 01:30:51 PM

Why not dropdown menu's in making a topic which will tell you what needs to be put in what sector, or as mentioned: an automatic system!
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2014, 03:37:18 AM

For duplicate threads, there is a solution! Simple display "relevant" threads when someone types in a title. This is what StackOverflow does.

http://puu.sh/a4Crw/34730ae45a.png

Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 03:42:52 PM

For duplicate threads, there is a solution! Simple display "relevant" threads when someone types in a title. This is what StackOverflow does.

I love this idea. I get confused easily sometimes when organizing my threads and putting them in the correct place. often people point out that I have posted in the wrong sub forum and they are often moved by staff.

@Nahtnam

I like this idea I have posted a few duplicate threads I know. but the main reason for that is because most of the other threads have a warning when trying to reply because the thread is to old. So if you want to add to discussion this wouldn't work. But if you are looking for a answer then this could work pretty well.

nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 06:11:19 PM

I love this idea. I get confused easily sometimes when organizing my threads and putting them in the correct place. often people point out that I have posted in the wrong sub forum and they are often moved by staff.

@Nahtnam

I like this idea I have posted a few duplicate threads I know. but the main reason for that is because most of the other threads have a warning when trying to reply because the thread is to old. So if you want to add to discussion this wouldn't work. But if you are looking for a answer then this could work pretty well.

Half of the threads here are people asking questions.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 05:11:38 PM

@Nahtnam

You are right Baitty. It isn't a good idea posting on an old topic but the feature helps a lot. The features justusranvier proposing is good. He has explained neatly on the feature but will it be added?

+1.
I agree. Most of the questions they ask is already answered but they aren't willing to spend some time on searching it and also they want to increase their Activity and thus want to increase their Rank.
Kindly,
      MZ

Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 05:14:34 PM

@Nahtnam

You are right Baitty. It isn't a good idea posting on an old topic but the feature helps a lot. The features justusranvier proposing is good. He has explained neatly on the feature but will it be added?

+1.
I agree. Most of the questions they ask is already answered but they aren't willing to spend some time on searching it and also they want to increase their Activity and thus want to increase their Rank.
Kindly,
      MZ

I agree that something like this should be added but it needs to be fully looked into and iron out any bugs and issues.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 07:20:36 PM

@Nahtnam

+1.
Kindly,
      MZ

I agree that something like this should be added but it needs to be fully looked into and iron out any bugs and issues.

I don't think devs of BT will release something with bugs and issues. I think, that is why it is taking some time for developing.
Kindly,
      MZ

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 06:07:14 PM

i like the idea , it's fantastic ! this should be added ASAP .
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:35:40 AM

I think that some people make dup posts/threads because they think the conversation went in the wrong direction or they think that they left out some important piece of information.

IMO there are several, good intentioned reasons to make dup posts, and I would say a lot of them are posted because of lack of understanding of the rules.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: