Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:08:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie's Guide to Getting Merit (Proven)  (Read 2181 times)
mu_enrico (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 2135

Slots Enthusiast & Expert

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2018, 04:08:51 AM

<...>I think the best way to earn a merit is to just post what you think is quality post. If someone makes any harsh comments (e.g. "not something new", "poor english grammar", "use search button", etc), just do not mind them. You know your intention, and that is to help and contribute in the community.<...>
I think you get it half correct. As long as their statement is a valid statement, you cannot just ignore it. What you think is a good quality post maybe won't be perceived as valuable from senior's perspective. It's the way they say read more and write less. BUT, you cannot do that if your post history is full of shit bounty report. 10 posts in a week also will make it even worse. Before you fix it, you won't level up, mate.

<...>I learn a lot of information and found it difficult to work with, especially those who are not good English like me.<...>
Go to your local board then. You don't have to force yourself to participate in an English discussion. You also better off learn some English for your own sake, not only for forum related stuff. BUT if your post history is full of shit bounty report, no one will ever merit you, mate.

<...>Your attitude here cannot be just asking, begging, and seek profit for yourself.<...>
<...>At first, 10 posts a week seems like nothing. But it will hinder your further learning development. 10 Serious posts in a week is a lot of work! Yes, it's nothing if you are shitposting and not implement my suggestion from #2 and #3<...>

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mu_enrico (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 07:15:56 AM

Bump!

Since jr. members now have to get 1 merit, you might find this guide helpful  Wink

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Sundoshi

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 09:00:27 AM

I would like to thank you for explaining how it works. As I understand, the merit point system was introduced as a means to increase the general quality of posts here on bitcointalk. It seems these past few years this foums has seen a fair bit of abuse. Yeah, I've been a lurker  Grin

First post by the way, pleasure to meet you all ...  Wink
Puziric

Activity: 137

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 09:57:29 AM

Bump!

Since jr. members now have to get 1 merit, you might find this guide helpful  Wink

Yeah, now that the rules have changed, your post has never been more useful. Thank you very much, author!
Sumit44

Activity: 191

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 11:13:34 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2018, 12:07:35 PM by Sumit44

I must say people like you are the example setters for newbies who post nothing but shit like 'Nice Post', 'Very Nice Project' kind of Cliches which is very much annoying for any prudent person. Since you all are experienced fellas, you know more than me about the Bitcointalk forum etiquette but this is my first comment on BTT & I have googled about BTT then i joined. I have been in Crypto since 2017. OP compel me to write this comment &  I appreciate him for this post. I think any newbie has to be very cautious about his post or comment. According to my prowess, a newbie has to strictly follow below-given attributes.

1- a newbie has to be very cautious about the writing post.
2- make sure you don't post anything off topic.
3- read the BTT rule & regulations carefully.
4- don't create FUD & FOMO around the community.
5- again don't post randomly at any forum...
ksupriya94

Activity: 123
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 11:58:25 AM

You are right, We should not fall to signature campaign just after reaching position to Jr member. We should learn from forum and when time will come we will start earning as well. I will also follow this and after completing this campaign, I will not join a campaign and will do some research and learn from this forum. thankyou
mu_enrico (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 12:22:02 PM
Last edit: September 18, 2018, 04:16:03 PM by mu_enrico

Guys I really need 1 merit. Full respect from me for 1 merit.

Edit: resize image

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Clif4d

Activity: 150
Merit: 5

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 11:31:34 PM

to again merit you must work hard for it .... by posting important points  base on the topic and moreover working hard by creating very good topics
zonasatu

Activity: 462

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2018, 06:37:49 AM

First of all, I started with 0 merits, 0 friends, non-native English speaker, average IQ, and this is my first and my only active account on the bitcointalk forum. If you are searching for the ultimate average Joe newbie who can get some merit, I'm one of them.

#1 The Attitude
In my opinion, this is the most important quality if you join a new forum or a new community. Your attitude here cannot be just asking, begging, and seek profit for yourself. You need to give something to the BTT community to get "gratuities" in the form of merit point.

Because this is a forum for bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, you need to have a decent knowledge before you can make a meaningful post. Your attitude should be "read more and write less," doesn't matter how smart you were in your little pond. Most of the time, you are dumb. This is a place where a newbie can read posts created by satoshi, gmaxwell, Gavin Andresen, and many more bitcoin guru.

Because this forum currently full of spam and scam, as a newbie, there is a high probability that you will experience insult and some hostility from some high-rank member. Just don't get butthurt and move on with your learning process. Many high-rank members are a "filthy rich" millionaire and a bitcoin guru, so actually, it's better to get a response from them, instead of nothing like in our everyday real-life.

#2 Posting a New Reply
Before you post a reply on a topic, you should follow the discussion, not only read the OP's post but also until last post reply. Most of the time, someone already wrote what you're going to write so don't repeat it. Remember "read more and write less."

Don't reply on a spam topic i.e. topic with little or no new meaningful information. If you have read a lot of topics, you will see that topics like "top altcoin," "bitcoin price," "bitcoin vs fiat," etc., have been created (and answered) multiple times. You want to avoid replying on this "megathread."

When you find a good topic and you can give a meaningful valid reply, then take your time, don't just post short (one-liner) reply without full information. It's not that you have to expand your sentence to get a longer text, but just give clear and concise full information.

Don't claim other work as your work, note that plagiarism will result in a permanent ban. You must give a correct citation if you want to insert a quote from another writer.

#3 Posting a New Topic
Before you create a new topic, you must use the search button and/or google site search. Use
Code:
keyword site:bitcointalk.org
Just don't create a duplicate post if you don't have new information to share. As a newbie, actually you will rarely need to create your own topic.

Merit can be earned anywhere including your local board. If you have a limited English like me, consider creating a good quality topic on your local board. It's easier to write a good quality topic on the local board because not many papers were translated/reworked and discussed in the local language.

You don't need fancy style or heavy formatting to create a good post, let your writing speak for itself. You can also create your own bitcoin guide to help local member learn about bitcoin in a serial post. See my local learning thread, for example, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4459504.0 on this thread I use self-moderation to remove spam to keep clean of my "classroom."

#4 Make Friends (and Enemies)
When you participate in the effort of making this forum better, you'll naturally attract other good members to become your friend, or at least frequently interact with them. However, you also attract other shitposters, spammers, and fellow "newbies who don't get it" to hate you. Related to this spammers, you have two options: become a cunt or become a Dalai Lama. It's your personal choice.

#5 THE Bounty
I regret my decision on joining signature campaign bounty. At first, 10 posts a week seems like nothing. But it will hinder your further learning development. 10 Serious posts in a week is a lot of work! Yes, it's nothing if you are shitposting and not implement my suggestion from #2 and #3. I consider taking a break on sigcamp for at least a month or two after this campaign end. I think the article campaign is more suitable for me. Now I know why the signature campaign participant often being called as shitposter.

As a closure, I didn't create this topic as a way of merit fishing as I'm also annoyed by merit fishers on the Meta board. I'm pretty confident that my posting behavior and my attitude will earn me merits in the future. I think this is the first and the last time I ever post a new topic about merit. Anyway, if you find this post helpful, please consider donating to World Wide Fund for Nature. See ya~

PS: Feel free to point out my grammar errors in this topic, and I'm more than happy to fix it.

Suggested reading:
TMAN'S guide to getting merit >> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3182178.0
Guide to earning merits >> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2901152.0
Newbie with merit? Yes its possible! >> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4442656.0
Ranking up easily. Newbie to Member in less than 2 months! >> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4779262.0
LIST OF THREADS GIVING AWAY MERIT POINTS FOR QUALITY POSTS >> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2832127.0
Index to popular bitcointalk threads >> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4422529.0

Good guide, boss
if allowed I will share this guide with another newbie.
thank you
SpektralFeniks

Activity: 73
Merit: 13

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2018, 08:53:19 AM
Merited by mu_enrico (1)

#1 The Attitude
In my opinion, this is the most important quality if you join a new forum or a new community. Your attitude here cannot be just asking, begging, and seek profit for yourself. You need to give something to the BTT community to get "gratuities" in the form of merit point.

Because this is a forum for bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, you need to have a decent knowledge before you can make a meaningful post. Your attitude should be "read more and write less," doesn't matter how smart you were in your little pond. Most of the time, you are dumb. This is a place where a newbie can read posts created by satoshi, gmaxwell, Gavin Andresen, and many more bitcoin guru.

Because this forum currently full of spam and scam, as a newbie, there is a high probability that you will experience insult and some hostility from some high-rank member. Just don't get butthurt and move on with your learning process. Many high-rank members are a "filthy rich" millionaire and a bitcoin guru, so actually, it's better to get a response from them, instead of nothing like in our everyday real-life.

#2 Posting a New Reply
Before you post a reply on a topic, you should follow the discussion, not only read the OP's post but also until last post reply. Most of the time, someone already wrote what you're going to write so don't repeat it. Remember "read more and write less."

Don't reply on a spam topic i.e. topic with little or no new meaningful information. If you have read a lot of topics, you will see that topics like "top altcoin," "bitcoin price," "bitcoin vs fiat," etc., have been created (and answered) multiple times. You want to avoid replying on this "megathread."

When you find a good topic and you can give a meaningful valid reply, then take your time, don't just post short (one-liner) reply without full information. It's not that you have to expand your sentence to get a longer text, but just give clear and concise full information.

Don't claim other work as your work, note that plagiarism will result in a permanent ban. You must give a correct citation if you want to insert a quote from another writer.

#3 Posting a New Topic
Before you create a new topic, you must use the search button and/or google site search. Use
Code:
keyword site:bitcointalk.org
Just don't create a duplicate post if you don't have new information to share. As a newbie, actually you will rarely need to create your own topic.

Merit can be earned anywhere including your local board. If you have a limited English like me, consider creating a good quality topic on your local board. It's easier to write a good quality topic on the local board because not many papers were translated/reworked and discussed in the local language.

You don't need fancy style or heavy formatting to create a good post, let your writing speak for itself. You can also create your own bitcoin guide to help local member learn about bitcoin in a serial post. See my local learning thread, for example, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4459504.0 on this thread I use self-moderation to remove spam to keep clean of my "classroom."

#4 Make Friends (and Enemies)
When you participate in the effort of making this forum better, you'll naturally attract other good members to become your friend, or at least frequently interact with them. However, you also attract other shitposters, spammers, and fellow "newbies who don't get it" to hate you. Related to this spammers, you have two options: become a cunt or become a Dalai Lama. It's your personal choice.

First of all, I think a thank you is in place, and then I can say that this has been a nice read about your personal experience and the educational journey of "do"-s and "don't"-s you have come to respect and practice.

Now, I would like to share something about myself and my journey in this scary wonderful place that this forum and community is (and it is AMAZING hehe)
I have been a member on the forum for a year now, and have educated myself and gathered knowledge on the same forum for a few years now. I may have been taking my sweet time with posting on topics and replies, but I thought at the time that the issues were already addressed (as I like to read back quite a bit) or my opinion wasn't valid or helpful enough to warrant a post from me. Hence, I am a 1 year member with a Newbie account with 5 posts (6 posts, this one included) and no merit - AND THIS IS FINE. I wouldn't have it any other way. Why?

Well, the answer to this question is simple - I have learned so much and have grown as an investor and supporter of crypto projects, that in my mind I am the one who has benefited so much and have given back to the community so little, it shames me. But yeah, I completely agree with "read more write less" and would add "don't say anything if you have nothing to say" (informative or constructive, with a brief explanation as to why), and have been following this rule as a general principal in life.

Following these principals, I can now say that I have the knowledge and know-how (still have a lot to learn though) to be able to take over and revive a cryptocurrency project and make it grow, flourish and succeed, because I believe its the right thing to do (lazy devs, didnt want to make an effort and didnt want to do the work)......
And before I go off topic here, just wanted to give a sincere thank you to the OP for sharing his journey with us, and making an effort to help out the new forum members on how to properly and sincerely become part of the amazing crypto community we have
mu_enrico (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2018, 05:10:55 PM

<...>
Hello mate, it's such an honor to get your valuable journey written on this topic. I guess your post is far more scarce and valuable than a merit. I know, I couldn't write an article as good as you. Therefore, kindly give me the opportunity to quote your post on the front page, so that many newbies would read your writing. Many thanks!

PS: If you are an alt of a legendary (senior) member, you will break my heart.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
nischal123

Activity: 148

View Profile
September 19, 2018, 11:46:16 PM

Your Post is really great. When i first hear about bitcointalk forum i dont know there is some kind of bounty which i can earn some bucks . At first i wasnt familiar with bitcoin so i just join the forum and read the post of senior members to gain more knowledge about bitcoin. After that bounty attracts my mind and i  joined the different bounty camping and didnt post any thing in this forum except my report in bounty camping which is just garbage. So till now  my merit is zero i realize my mistake. After the rules is implement that one merit is necessary to become jr member i demoted to newbie. Then my main focus is to gain merit but right now honestly I am enjoying in this forum by participating in different discussion which for sure invoke my knowledge in the field of Crypto as well as i also share some my experience in the forum. I am not native English speaker so i am also focusing to improve my English language so i can make quality post.
Thanks . Have a great day  Wink
Papote

Activity: 202
Merit: 7

Professional Spanish Translator. PM to me.

View Profile
September 20, 2018, 11:38:45 AM

Thank you very much for this post. As your theme says, there will be insults and arguments (MANY!), although not all come from high positions. Thank you very much for this guide, although there are many, is the one that caught my attention and entertained me, I will start to apply it now: D.

Personally and love this community over any other, it is very active, with many interesting arguments, it is quite broad, you can share with many people, not all good, but you have the opportunity to learn from the best, in fact, I think that just by reading carefully and put it into practice a while you can learn a lot.

Thanks again for this post, I had never made such a long publication hahaha  Grin

PROFESSIONAL SPANISH TRANSLATOR

IF YOU NEED, PLEASE CONTACT ME.
TMAN
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1808

Exchange Bitcoin quickly-https://blockchain.com.do

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2018, 08:49:19 AM

great thread OP - one more thing, add about quoting the whole post when not needed - that gets people put on ignore lists.

████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████
██████████▀▄███████████████
██████████████████████████
.FORTUNEJACK   JOIN INVINCIBLE JACKMATE AND WIN......10 BTC........
██████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀██████
█████  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄  █████
█████  █████ █████  █████
█████  ██▄     ▄██  █████
█████  ████   ████  █████
█████▄  ██▄▄█▄▄██  ▄█████
██████▄  ███████  ▄██████
███████▄   ▀▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▄▄ ▄▄██████████
mu_enrico (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2018, 01:15:19 AM

First post by the way, pleasure to meet you all ...  Wink
Welcome mate, keep up the good work!

Have a great day  Wink
Like I said that most of the merited members "hate" bounty hunters, you will get more merits if you clean up your bounty report posts.

I had never made such a long publication hahaha  Grin
C'mon man, don't be stuck as "nice project" shitposter.

Thanks for this great information, I've tried some of these things but to no avail .
I'll apply others and see what the result will be in a couple of weeks .
It worked for me, It should work for you (and everyone else).

PS: for other posters, if I didn't reply to your post, then there is something wrong with your post and/or your posts history.

great thread OP - one more thing, add about quoting the whole post when not needed - that gets people put on ignore lists.
Updated, I forgot about that. Thanks!

For you guys who are wondering where it all (my research and journey about merit) begun. Read below post Grin

Merit is rather complicated than just a quality post. I'm using this forum for learning and testing various ways to be involved in cryptocurrencies ecosystem. From what I see quality is subjective, many low quality post got merited and high quality one being ignored. Yes I know it's not a perfect system. And if I'm not mistaken merit system started from last year, so.. many old members here cannot really grasp how difficult it is to have a good quality post -> be read -> read by members who have merit point -> getting merit point.

Still waiting for the "real" merit guide by newbie who really get promoted fair and square.

your posts dont lack quality fella, it is where you post that is the issue.. shit like the below in megathreads is not quality, even though you are a native speaker.
<...>

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
sudeshkumar

Activity: 126

THE ENERGY EFFICIENCY PROTOCOL

View Profile
November 05, 2018, 01:06:31 AM

Detailed information about how to earn merit and its usages is really helpful, all the rules are for betterment of the forum and its users.

━    ━   ●    Introducing     ►    Bluenote.world    ●   ━    ━
━    ● ▌   The Leading Blockchain Solution to a Zero Emission World   ▐ ●   
tactac

Activity: 448
Merit: 121

self made Full member (^-^)v

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2018, 08:22:18 AM

<...>
Wow interesting, how'd you done it all bit i thank you for posting. It's gonna be very informative for all the newby like me.

Yes, I agree with you. This is very useful information for us.
And I think you need to read more carefully on this part Smiley

Don't quote the whole post when not needed, guys. You will only need to click the "reply" button for most cases.
Respect other readers! They will find it really annoying to scroll down the quoted full post, only to find your one paragraph comment.

mu_enrico (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2019, 11:15:19 AM
Merited by DdmrDdmr (1), anu1908 (1)

Bump #500Merits

Looking back to the past, I never think that I will reach 500 merits with only 406 activities. I think this guide pretty much sums up how to get here from nothing.

What I learned from the past one and a half years:
- I think I have made some improvement with my written English.
- Definitely more knowledgeable about Bitcoin and some altcoins (still newbs though).
- Can spot obvious scam projects.
- A lot of interaction with good people here.
- Put shitposters to the ignore list.
- Click "report to moderators" link.
- Can spot alts accounts.

Special thanks to the merit sources, and see you again in "#1000Merits" bump in 2021 2023 lol

"Stay hungry, stay foolish" - Steve Jobs

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
anu1908

Activity: 770
Merit: 268

View Profile
February 07, 2019, 12:46:04 PM

Looking back to the past, I never think that I will reach 500 merits with only 406 activities.

congrats. one of the fastest member who can reach 500 merits and as a fellow Indonesian, I'm proud of you dude. you certainly deserve the merits you got. let's see who can reach 1000 merits first lol
mu_enrico (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2019, 01:10:13 PM

@anu1908 I humbly step down from your challenge.

Source: coindesk

#beer

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████