Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:16:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Small transactions?  (Read 956 times)
JA37 (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 09:53:06 AM

So it's not possible to send small transactions in the network? Sending 0.1 or 0.01 BTC has a fee that is unskippable. I can't choose to not pay the fee and wait until some node will process the transaction "for free"?

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 10:09:59 AM

Sure, you can't make your own client.

JA37 (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 10:38:32 AM

Sure, you can't make your own client.
Short and pointless. Thanks for your input.  Grin

Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 10:51:50 AM

Sorry, i mean
sure you can,  you can make you own client,
or you can send a big amount of BTCs to Instawallet (no fee),
then send 0.01 each with no fee from Instawallet.

JA37 (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 11:09:19 AM

Alas, if I only had a large number of BTC to send.

Not knowing how the protocol works here's how I'd like it to work.  Wink

When you send a small transaction you can choose to pay fee or not. If you choose not to pay fee you specify how many blocks you're willing to wait for it to clear. If your transaction isn't handled when that number of blocks have passed, your coins are returned to the address you sent it from.

Example:
I want to send a small amount, and not pay any fee, so I'll specify that I'll wait 36 blocks, or about 6 hours for the transaction to clear.

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 11:49:31 AM

Alas, if I only had a large number of BTC to send.

Not knowing how the protocol works here's how I'd like it to work.  Wink

When you send a small transaction you can choose to pay fee or not. If you choose not to pay fee you specify how many blocks you're willing to wait for it to clear. If your transaction isn't handled when that number of blocks have passed, your coins are returned to the address you sent it from.

Example:
I want to send a small amount, and not pay any fee, so I'll specify that I'll wait 36 blocks, or about 6 hours for the transaction to clear.

I'd love to see something like this too.
It's probably security concerns regarding cheap spam attacks on the network that have prevented development of better support for proper microtransactions, but perhaps also the fact that user interface convenience isn't currently a priority.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2011, 12:03:12 PM

Bitcoin is not intended for microtransactions. Since all transaction are publicly maintained and verified, this has a significant cost to the network. This is a price many consider worth it, in exchange for having a medium that has all the properties Bitcoin provides, but it is not neglectable.

If you want to do microtransactions (in the long term) over bitcoin, I believe third-party services will be required, which can perform such transaction with far smaller overhead internally.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
JA37 (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 12:56:02 PM

It's probably security concerns regarding cheap spam attacks on the network that have prevented development of better support for proper microtransactions, but perhaps also the fact that user interface convenience isn't currently a priority.

Spam attacks are only possible if the transaction clears, isn't it? If the transaction is reversed in X blocks because no nodes would accept it without a fee, then there would be no spam attack?
And I'm not really talking about microtransactions. If BTC ever hits $300, then sending 0.01 BTC or even 0.001 BTC isn't that unthinkable.

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 01:06:22 PM

Spam attacks are only possible if the transaction clears, isn't it? If the transaction is reversed in X blocks because no nodes would accept it without a fee, then there would be no spam attack?
And I'm not really talking about microtransactions. If BTC ever hits $300, then sending 0.01 BTC or even 0.001 BTC isn't that unthinkable.

I don't know about the technical details of whether failed transactions can also be part of a spam problem.

If BTC exchange values were so high - then there would presumably be no problem for the devs to release clients that allowed low/no fees on 0.01, 0.001 BTC etc because the cost of spamming at those levels would be higher.   
The fee settings have changed in the past and can change again.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: