Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:30:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Miner hacker attack  (Read 1534 times)
crittd3 (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 07:44:35 PM

I have lost my bitcoins. I thought I  was careful but not careful enough. Just a simple user that knows very little about half of the Bitcoin world. I had bought 3 bitcoins when at 75 dollars. Didn't touch them for months. I decided to buy other alt coins on exchanges. Thats went fine. Then I decided to mine for the first time Maxcoin and then heavycoin. Here is what happened.. I opened my bitcoin-qt after adding my wallet backup to it. Nothing seemed strange. But after a few min. All of my account balance was sent to this address 19A1gdRfuBVUAcBP6XTgRBAzH8GvQLAfJv without me doing it. The other 4 addresses are mine. My balance stayed the same in the wallet. But anytime I try to send I get 0/6 conformations on any transactions. Well they took all I had so I'm done. Can't afford to get back in at this point. I just hope this helps others from getting taken like I did.. Undecided

Just look at the image from my malware scan and you will find that the miners were taking it. God Bless and Good Luck..

Code:
Transaction View information about a bitcoin transaction
99ad62e1a568d3dcc50ddd1efe2bc70447967cf2bbe8de5cd394fb4a47c74db9
12YKH13CCLPWKknk8RuJeprwfzJXn76spL
1JFguyxnqPjwcjyuvMw8Xc3RbcuZvorKDe
18wFp2Q8Ad8V2AoLR9G9P884zTwJyqGePm
16uf54i5jbckoAMdxqgT5Q48QDcQz1bAyA
19A1gdRfuBVUAcBP6XTgRBAzH8GvQLAfJv 1.4925574 BTC

Link to image:https://heavycoinforum.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=38.0;attach=4;image
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoiner49er

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 09:08:34 PM

Yeah, that sux. Best to mine on a totally different rig than anything you use to access your wallets.

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet
joae1975

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:34:09 PM

Same thing happened to me.  18 btc lost.  My problem was I had a dumb brain wallet and a bot guessed it.  Literally 2 seconds after the btc hit my wallet they were gone.  I presume this may have been want happened to you.  Was your private key derived from a brain wallet.  Purchase a phrase guessable by a bot?

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk
gamefixer

Activity: 440

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 01:39:20 AM

would this be able to happen to an encrypted wallet? That sucks.
joae1975

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 04:03:16 AM

Unlikely, if created properly. 

crittd3 (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 04:39:02 AM

I had  24 character pass-phrase.. I really thought Bitcoin would be different than the current monetary system. But we have a new 1 to 5%  that can't have enough. It's much easier to take from those who are vulnerable to computer slang, coding, and have scraps. Society one day may change, but not any time soon. Looking forward to a cashless society. What would happen to crime greed. and envy in that place ? Hopefully die a long deserved death.. Long live TZM and the Venus project.  Undecided
joae1975

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 05:11:26 AM

I had  24 character pass-phrase.. I really thought Bitcoin would be different than the current monetary system. But we have a new 1 to 5%  that can't have enough. It's much easier to take from those who are vulnerable to computer slang, coding, and have scraps. Society one day may change, but not any time soon. Looking forward to a cashless society. What would happen to crime greed. and envy in that place ? Hopefully die a long deserved death.. Long live TZM and the Venus project.  Undecided
These things go to show btc is not grandma easy and far from it.  I don't think it's very far fetched if there are a group of gov computer hackers stealing btc to give it a bad name.  If you had a good passphrase on your wallet there's no way anyone could get them unless they knew the passphrase.  Could anyone have gained access to it if you wrote it down or stored it on your computer somewhere? 

crittd3 (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 06:02:18 AM

I do agree that there are forces out there that would love to crush bitcoin. Regarding my pass phrase. I was told that it may be possible to get the pass phrase from the console or clipboard if I pasted it in and didn't clear it. And I have to say I have done that. No Idea if that is true or not.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 10:10:21 AM

Keylogger.

I have nothing else to add.

loewen.brad

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 11:05:54 AM

it's possible that you are a victim of the pony botnet. it contains a keylogger, wallet.dat stealer, and i believe a RAT all in one. make sure you run a full virus/malware scan and do a boot-sector scan as well as deep-field scans on all files and partitions on your machine. basically throw everything you can at it and you'll probably turn something up. look for virii, trojans, malwares, botnets, rootkits, odd registry entries, etc... (anything out of the ordinary or that you don't recognize, really)

BTC Donation address: 1C9kFrgD4iHRnH7p86HaAQ5oSaEuzqmjf8
XIV Donation address: XErCR9BXh2oVXBy2Yh48qcRaX9tdDCRH5J
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 11:18:14 AM

Strange, another user said he had his Bitcoins gone when he mined maxcoin as well. Perhaps the maxcoin miner really had a wallet stealer embedded?

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 11:18:56 AM

Yeah work on your security and try to not keep all money in one place. I'm afraid you might lose you BTCs for good ether way...

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 11:25:38 AM

Strange, another user said he had his Bitcoins gone when he mined maxcoin as well. Perhaps the maxcoin miner really had a wallet stealer embedded?

This is true, I too saw another member claim he had lost his BTC after mining for Maxcoin.
This could however be a malicious attack by a third party not necessarily the developers of Maxcoin.

Only way to find out is to download the Maxcoin software and view the code.

Anyone up for it?

gamefixer

Activity: 440

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:48:30 PM

I suppose I've been lucky as I've never lost any BTC from my wallet or any online system (mt.gox). I even left my two GPU miners alone for over two years, completely un monitored other than virus updates during that time.

I hate that this happens. I loaned a guy 25BTC in November and he lost it in a few days thanks to an attack on the web site he had them on.
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 01:16:29 PM

It's a shame that the bitcoin wallet doesn't include some type of two factor authentication. Some services like Coinbase have it, but you have to trust your coins to them as well. 

For now, I think the best method to protect bitcoins employs a few measures:

-Encrypt wallets
-Don't run multi-wallets on the same system for alt currency
-Don't keep all your BTC in one place
-Keep at least 10% offline
-Run antivirus/antimalware on your computer
-Backup your wallet
-Employ disk encryption for your wallet
-Don't keep more than 10% of your BTC in an exchange

My hopes for the future:
-Wallet that supports 2 factor auth - Spend verified through phone app or thumbprint
-Stolen coin tagging in the blockchain - Fiat serial numbers can be tracked at federal reserves and banks, bitcoins should have similar tracking. Exploding dye packs ruin fiat currency when robbed from a bank.

substratum

Activity: 36

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 01:39:49 PM

My hopes for the future:
-Wallet that supports 2 factor auth - Spend verified through phone app or thumbprint

If the thief has malware on your PC they can bypass or hijack any authentication you can perform in order to authorize a different transaction. This has long been a problem for online banking systems that attempt to employ 2-factor. The thief can use malware to change what you see on your screen and change what's happening in memory so you end up authorizing a different transaction than what you intended.

What's really needed is end-to-end transaction integrity verification on a dedicated hardware device. Trezor gets us most of the way there but the transaction is not verified end-to-end, only workstation-to-Trezor. A system like the Cronto banking hardware device is needed for Bitcoin, where a PKI implementation similar to BIP70 could be used to verify the address of the payee all the way to the secure device of the payer.
joae1975

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 03:31:18 PM

My hopes for the future:

If the thief has malware on your PC they can bypass or hijack any authentication you can perform in order to authorize a different transaction. This has long been a problem for online banking systems that attempt to employ 2-factor. The thief can use malware to change what you see on your screen and change what's happening in memory so you end up authorizing a different transaction than what you intended.

What's really needed is end-to-end transaction integrity verification on a dedicated hardware device. Trezor gets us most of the way there but the transaction is not verified end-to-end, only workstation-to-Trezor. A system like the Cronto banking hardware device is needed for Bitcoin, where a PKI implementation similar to BIP70 could be used to verify the address of the payee all the way to the secure device of the payer.
Yeah, what he said.  ^

irnwlf

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 02:25:53 AM

Can you give me some advices about safety? I'm from B Embarrassedelorussia and our miners are so greedy, that it's a problem to get any answers....
Trillium

Activity: 546

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:01:17 AM

Perhaps look at using cold storage with armory or electrum in the future. Where you manually authorize a transaction with an offline computer.

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
freddyfarnsworth

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:15:10 AM

here is what I learned,

Use multibit for BTC.

Make a new wallet, encrypt it.  oKD 3I5] -05 OKR349RI3*&^^())))))))+U%^%
like that, something you will never remember. Write it down on paper.

Never use the default wallet it started out with.

At least you will have done what you can, being real you will have to use it a lot online, so do not store in it, just do transactions in it.

Store offline.

BTC: 1F1X9dN2PRortYaDkq89YJDbQ72i3F5N3h MEOW: KAbvy9jrrajvN5WLo7RWBsYqYfJKyN9WLf DOGE: DAyKSrTiVeRZaReTu1Cyf5Je6qPdKTuKKE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: