Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:22:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 [415] 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] BTC Guild - Pays TxFees+NMC, Stratum, VarDiff, Private Servers  (Read 902902 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
ThePiGuy

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 03:05:09 AM

So what pool will most people move to - for many of us, BTCGuild was the one and only place to mine.  Which pool is second best or even comes close?

Eligius is pretty great, I used it as a backup pool but will now use it as my primary and maybe GHash.io as a backup.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 03:09:48 AM

You know your pool is pretty great when there are over 400 pages of comments.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavours.  I have been a supporter since the beginning, and appreciate everything you've done.

Keep us up to date on your new projects!

Don't forget the couple hundred other pages in the thread before this one (the pool closed it's original thread when it switched from proportional to PPS back in 2011)!

I'll probably end up using BTC Guild's domain/page for some future Bitcoin project.  My current projects are completely unrelated to Bitcoin (other than my retro game store which will accept Bitcoin).  But I'm looking forward to some kind of app (or game) development in the future and will probably try to make Bitcoin integrated in some way.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
hmblm1245

Activity: 628
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 03:27:55 AM

so sad to see it go. Best of luck to ya.
Landstander

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 03:28:50 AM

As a long time user of BTC Guild, thank you eleuthria. Your honorable presence in the bitcoin mining space has been greatly appreciated. Good luck with your future endeavors!

This feels like the end of yet another era.

1LnV7h5xrFQ98HNxctKaASbB4xRBccT5Gm     Thanks!
Miner-TE

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 04:56:47 AM

All I can say is ... Thanks E.

BTC - 1PeMMYGn7xbZjUYeaWe9ct1VV6szLS1vkD - LTC - LbtcJRJJQQBjZuHr6Wm7vtB9RnnWtRNYpq
chalkboard17

Activity: 484
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 05:05:59 AM

Another victory for centralized mining.
Finally, I have been growing concerned for some time now about attempts to defraud pools. The pool's luck has been on a decline for over a year. The luck on a few other pools has also shown a negative trend. While it is not impossible that it's a coincidence, this is something I have been constantly made aware of and am helpless against. There is no way to know whether it's just bad luck, a small bug in older miners (BTC Guild probably has the highest percentage of first/second generation ASICs) resulting in a few % of block-solving shares to disappear, or a large pool trying to hurt the competition (many of the largest pools have large private mining operations now). It would only take a fraction (1 PH/s or less could do it) to cause significant harm to a competing pool, and that activity could be masked by proxies and multiple accounts to be impossible to catch.
What do you mean with this?

▄▄  ▄▄                
            ██  ▀▀  ▀▀   ██           
        ██                   ██

██  ██  ▄▄            
     ██    ██           ▀▀  ▄▄        
                  ███       ▀▀        
   ██    ██   ███      ███     ██     
                          ███         
  ██   ██   ██    ███ ███    ▄▄   ██  
               ███           ▀▀       
  ██   ██  ███           ███  ██   ██ 
                     ███              
    ▄▄  ██    ███ ███     ▄▄  ██   ██ 
    ▀▀    ▄▄              ▀▀          
      ▄▄  ▀▀          ███    ██   ██  
      ▀▀      ██  ███                 
         ██              ███    ███   
             ██  ██  ███              
       ██                    ██       
           ███  ▄▄▄  ▄▄  ███          
                ▀▀▀  ▀▀               

STREAMITY

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
  Telegram
LinkedIn
Medium
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 05:09:40 AM

Finally, I have been growing concerned for some time now about attempts to defraud pools. The pool's luck has been on a decline for over a year. The luck on a few other pools has also shown a negative trend. While it is not impossible that it's a coincidence, this is something I have been constantly made aware of and am helpless against. There is no way to know whether it's just bad luck, a small bug in older miners (BTC Guild probably has the highest percentage of first/second generation ASICs) resulting in a few % of block-solving shares to disappear, or a large pool trying to hurt the competition (many of the largest pools have large private mining operations now). It would only take a fraction (1 PH/s or less could do it) to cause significant harm to a competing pool, and that activity could be masked by proxies and multiple accounts to be impossible to catch.

I mean the pool's luck for the last 3 months has been 88~89% of expected block solves.  Eligius' 3 month luck is almost identical to that last I checked in their thread.  Slush doesn't give a 3 month luck but his 1-month luck is pretty close to that.  I do not know if that is statistically bad enough (Guild + Eligius pools in aggregate) to point towards something other than variance.  Both pools combined are only about 5% of the network, so 12% under expectation over 90 days might be something that could happen 1 in a hundred samples.  I'm sending organofcorti a message about it since that's his area of expertise.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
chalkboard17

Activity: 484

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 05:14:07 AM

I mean the pool's luck for the last 3 months has been 88~89% of expected block solves.  Eligius' 3 month luck is almost identical to that last I checked in their thread.  Slush doesn't give a 3 month luck but his 1-month luck is pretty close to that.  I do not know if that is statistically bad enough (Guild + Eligius pools in aggregate) to point towards something other than variance.  Both pools combined are only about 5% of the network, so 12% under expectation over 90 days might be something that could happen 1 in a hundred samples.  I'm sending organofcorti a message about it since that's his area of expertise.
I understand that and am aware about (now) minor pools' bad luck. To tell you the truth I was under the suspicious they could be using our hashrate to rarely mine on other addresses, thus lowering luck. But that's just me and you get a very suspicious character after being scammed and robbed so many times by other people. I wanted to know what you meant with them being possibly attacked, and how?
I never used btc guild and although I mine on eligius due to the no fee (and will leave them the second they add any fee at all) I would suggest you to raise the fee instead of closing the pool. People who disagree would leave but I doubt a currently 12ph/s pool would go below 1ph/s, except if the fee goes up a lot.

▄▄  ▄▄                
            ██  ▀▀  ▀▀   ██           
        ██                   ██

██  ██  ▄▄            
     ██    ██           ▀▀  ▄▄        
                  ███       ▀▀        
   ██    ██   ███      ███     ██     
                          ███         
  ██   ██   ██    ███ ███    ▄▄   ██  
               ███           ▀▀       
  ██   ██  ███           ███  ██   ██ 
                     ███              
    ▄▄  ██    ███ ███     ▄▄  ██   ██ 
    ▀▀    ▄▄              ▀▀          
      ▄▄  ▀▀          ███    ██   ██  
      ▀▀      ██  ███                 
         ██              ███    ███   
             ██  ██  ███              
       ██                    ██       
           ███  ▄▄▄  ▄▄  ███          
                ▀▀▀  ▀▀               

STREAMITY

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
  Telegram
LinkedIn
Medium
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 05:32:42 AM

You know your pool is pretty great when there are over 400 pages of comments.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavours.  I have been a supporter since the beginning, and appreciate everything you've done.

Keep us up to date on your new projects!

Don't forget the couple hundred other pages in the thread before this one (the pool closed it's original thread when it switched from proportional to PPS back in 2011)!

I'll probably end up using BTC Guild's domain/page for some future Bitcoin project.  My current projects are completely unrelated to Bitcoin (other than my retro game store which will accept Bitcoin).  But I'm looking forward to some kind of app (or game) development in the future and will probably try to make Bitcoin integrated in some way.
Hope you will take on a project that will turn out as good as the pool in its glory days, but even better Smiley good luck!
man114

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 06:12:27 AM

I mean the pool's luck for the last 3 months has been 88~89% of expected block solves.  Eligius' 3 month luck is almost identical to that last I checked in their thread.  Slush doesn't give a 3 month luck but his 1-month luck is pretty close to that.  I do not know if that is statistically bad enough (Guild + Eligius pools in aggregate) to point towards something other than variance.  Both pools combined are only about 5% of the network, so 12% under expectation over 90 days might be something that could happen 1 in a hundred samples.  I'm sending organofcorti a message about it since that's his area of expertise.

88-89% doesn't seem anything out of the ordinary for variance for a 3 month period. Slush has had a bad run of luck in the last two weeks or so and the drop in hash rate certainly hasn't helped. Of course the drop due to summer certainly won't help hash rates any.

I don't know if older ASICs would have anything to do with it, an old 1th/s is going to do the same but use more electricity to do it.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 06:42:23 AM

Thanks for running one of the most legit BTC pools for so long.  I actually think it's a pretty stand-up gesture that Eleuthria is unwilling to sell the domain/pool given the # of sheer scammers in the BTC space still.  Your work is much appreciated sir and you've certainly left your mark in the bitcoin space.  Best of luck to you sir one your future endeavors.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 07:23:47 AM

uhh guild is closing? I spent the best times of my mining "career" here, also IRC and admin were cool and helpful. I never had any problems at all..

@eleuthria, thanks for providing amazing service and good luck with any future projects.)
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 07:33:43 AM

Good luck with your future projects, E!

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 09:44:37 AM

Very saddened to see you go. I remember when you were the "big bad wolf' that people were afraid was going to mount a 51% attack on Bitcoin Cheesy It was amusing, since it was obvious how much you were dedicated.

May you fare well where ever you fair. Many have come and gone, and few will be missed. BTCGuild will.

My very first attempt at bitcoin mining was on your pool. It was frequently my failover even after that (Eligius winning out, barely). I haven't mined bitcoin in some time, preferring the "wild west" of alts. But I have watched, and learned much from you.

goodbye to a legend.
hZti

Activity: 952
Merit: 642

Magic

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 10:27:28 AM

Sad to see another Legend go, i never mined BTC but i was very much involved at Dogecoin mining and always had plans to mine BTC at your pool at some point but never really had the opportunity to do so Sad
bizzyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1001

Don't look at my signature!

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 10:41:29 AM

Thanks for all your time and commitment, you have shown many how crypto can be "legit".

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░███▀░░░░░░▀███
░░███░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░██░░░░░███
███░░░░░░██░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░██░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░█████░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░███
░░███░░░░░░░░░░███
░░░███▄░░░░░░▄███
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ░░░████░░░░░░░████
░░███░██░░░░░██░███
░░██░░░███░███░░░██
░░██░░░░░███░░░░░██
█████████████████████
░░███████░░░███████
░░███████░░░███████
░░███████░░░███████

░░███████░░░███████
░░███████░░░███████
░░███████░░░███████
░░███████░░░███████

░░░░░░
░░░░░██░░░░░░
░░░░████░░░░░▐█
░░░░█████░░░░███
░░░░░█████░░████
░░█░░░█████░████
░██░░░██████████
████░████░█████
█████████░░███
███████░░░██
░░▀████░░░█▀
░░░░░
   ░██████████████████▀██████░
█████████░░██████▀████████
█████████░░███▀▄████████
███████░░██░░▄██░░███████
██████▌░░░██▄▄██░░░▐██████
██████░░░░░█████░░░░░██████
██████░░░░░░███░░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
█████░░░██░░░░░░░██░░░█████
████░░░████▌░░░▐████░░░████
████░░░█████▌▐█████░░░████
███░░░███████████████░░░███
███░░░███████████████░░░███
░█████████████████████████░
MONETARYUNIT
.......for Me, U & Everyone.......
[/
SgtMoth

Activity: 910
Merit: 1004

buy silver!

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 12:03:29 PM

Thank you!  I've made a lot of money with this pool.  Good luck in the future!
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 12:03:48 PM

What sad news Sad And I finished mining 180 but with 11 blocks, so my OCD will never resolve that my average won't catch up now.

windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 01:18:34 PM

Will be sad to see you shutter BTC Guild, 2nd pool I ever tried, best interface at the time, and trustworthy.

Hope you find your way back to the bitcoin space professionally, you are an asset to the community.

That being said, I'm sure that come June 30th you will feel a sense of relief from shedding the stress of the pool Wink

Cheers!
sirky

Activity: 404

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:24:45 PM

Thanks for everything - I have been a member since May or June of 2011.
Pages: « 1 ... 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 [415] 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 »
  Print  

Jump to: