Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:07:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 [376] 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] BTC Guild - Pays TxFees+NMC, Stratum, VarDiff, Private Servers  (Read 902898 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
spiceminer15

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 12:25:19 AM

how is NYC going to do anything about a pool hosted in a different state
AFAIK, it seems Michael believes that it would spread from NY and I guess that's why he's looking at shutdown scenarios.

the only thing that guy can spread is hot air and bullshit
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoreBloodWine
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 12:42:24 AM

AFAIK, it seems Michael believes that it would spread from NY and I guess that's why he's looking at shutdown scenarios.

Might want to reword that if your talking about a NY rep and not Michael lol

That's easily mis-understood.

Edit: When I said Michael, I meant the pools owner.

To be decided...
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 01:47:45 AM

You should probably just stick to calling me Eleuthria in order to avoid that confusion.  It even takes me a minute to realize it's referencing me (I have a strong disconnect between online and offline communication).

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
MoreBloodWine
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 02:17:06 AM

You should probably just stick to calling me Eleuthria in order to avoid that confusion.  It even takes me a minute to realize it's referencing me (I have a strong disconnect between online and offline communication).
The Mihcael things just easier because I find myself sayin the name in my head and just don't know how to pronounce your forum name.

To be decided...
Billbags

Activity: 280

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 02:51:58 AM

It's time to cheer up and keep mining. It's always the darkest just before the dawn. The pool has been doing fine lately(look at posts from 2011, they could barely keep the pool online) and I'm sure things will work out with this New York thing. This is a pool not a bank, so hopefully the final laws will be specifically for banks/exchanges.

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
psahx

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:13:41 AM

The Mihcael things just easier because I find myself sayin the name in my head and just don't know how to pronounce your forum name.

Quote from: Wikipedia
The Greek word ἐλευθερία (pronunciation: [elefθeˈria]), commonly transliterated in English as eleutheria or phonetically spelled eleftheria, is an ancient and modern Greek term for, and personification of, liberty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleutheria
spiceminer15

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:26:04 AM

I was talking about Michael Bloomberg lol
MoreBloodWine
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:26:57 AM

The Greek word ἐλευθερία (pronunciation: [elefθeˈria]), commonly transliterated in English as eleutheria or phonetically spelled eleftheria, is an ancient and modern Greek term for, and personification of, liberty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleutheria
So I'll call him liberty from now on then lol

To be decided...
psahx

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 03:30:22 AM

If he does not mind...

Grin
MoreBloodWine
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 04:25:17 AM

If he does not mind...

Grin
It's a hell of a lot easier than some greek shit lol

To be decided...
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 08:07:49 AM

It's time to cheer up and keep mining. It's always the darkest just before the dawn. The pool has been doing fine lately(look at posts from 2011, they could barely keep the pool online) and I'm sure things will work out with this New York thing. This is a pool not a bank, so hopefully the final laws will be specifically for banks/exchanges.

Bolded the part that I hope is how the regulation ends up.  It's clear by the way its written that the target business types are services that convert fiat/virtual currency and places that are being advertised as a way to store and spend virtual currencies with a third party.  That's exactly the type of business the NYDFS was designed to regulate.

I know most believe I'm over-reacting, but those who have gotten to know me over the last few years have probably picked up on the fact that I'm extremely conservative when it comes to business and finances, a stark contrast to the general Bitcoin public.  Given the choice of closing the pool down gracefully with everybody getting what they're owed, or leaving it online and risking everything I've earned to date due to a clearly overreaching regulatory body, I will take the approach that doesn't involve risk.  Not to mention everything owed to users, which would be at risk as well.

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1622

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2014, 12:48:03 PM

I made this mistake with his name myself 2 years ago and I thought he might be Greek. Look harder at his handle, you'll see it isn't eleutheria.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 02:00:11 PM

I made this mistake with his name myself 2 years ago and I thought he might be Greek. Look harder at his handle, you'll see it isn't eleutheria.

Oddly enough, the Eleuthria / Eleutheria connection is something I was completely unaware of until a few years ago when somebody asked me about it in #btcguild.  I don't think ckolivas was the first to ask, but it's possible.  The Eleuthria name was something I made up in high school.  I learned C & C++ programming basics by working on MUDs in middle school and high school.  Eleuthria was a name I came up with for one of the games.  For a swords & sorcery fantasy title, generally more vowels = better, and that's where "Eleuthria" came from.  Pronunciation being 'Eee-loo-three-uh' or 'El-oo-three-uh' (it's shifted over the years).

It wasn't my primary handle on the internet though, I'm not quite sure why I used it for Bitcoin.  Had I known I would end up making BTC Guild, I probably would've picked one that wasn't feminine!

aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2014, 02:17:34 PM

Bolded the part that I hope is how the regulation ends up.  It's clear by the way its written that the target business types are services that convert fiat/virtual currency and places that are being advertised as a way to store and spend virtual currencies with a third party.  That's exactly the type of business the NYDFS was designed to regulate.

I know most believe I'm over-reacting, but those who have gotten to know me over the last few years have probably picked up on the fact that I'm extremely conservative when it comes to business and finances, a stark contrast to the general Bitcoin public.  Given the choice of closing the pool down gracefully with everybody getting what they're owed, or leaving it online and risking everything I've earned to date due to a clearly overreaching regulatory body, I will take the approach that doesn't involve risk.  Not to mention everything owed to users, which would be at risk as well.

here is what happened when new york started telling everyone that if they had more than a weeks worth of food and supplies they could be considered criminals .... the state of arizona passed a new law a few weeks later: http://www.wnd.com/2014/04/no-help-coming-state-prepping-citizens-for-emp-attack/  .. in other words in arizona if we have more than a weeks worth of food and supplies then we are a more responsible citizen to be prepared for an emp attack which would be a time that the arizona govt admits they wouldn't be able to help everyone. just because new york does something doesnt mean the rest of the country is going to follow them.. actually is the opposite, new york is example of everything that is done wrong.
faetos

Activity: 744
Merit: 514

gotta let a coin be a coin

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 03:43:46 AM

Oddly enough, the Eleuthria / Eleutheria connection is something I was completely unaware of until a few years ago when somebody asked me about it in #btcguild.  I don't think ckolivas was the first to ask, but it's possible.  The Eleuthria name was something I made up in high school.  I learned C & C++ programming basics by working on MUDs in middle school and high school.  Eleuthria was a name I came up with for one of the games.  For a swords & sorcery fantasy title, generally more vowels = better, and that's where "Eleuthria" came from.  Pronunciation being 'Eee-loo-three-uh' or 'El-oo-three-uh' (it's shifted over the years).

It wasn't my primary handle on the internet though, I'm not quite sure why I used it for Bitcoin.  Had I known I would end up making BTC Guild, I probably would've picked one that wasn't feminine!
Amazing how our handles all get about. Mine came from a bunch of drunken band members saying "fetus" over and over (no idea why) and when I had to pick a handle I misspelled it in all my genius and ended up with faetos. Oh well. Smiley I really hope things work out ok for the guild. It'd be a shame to see an institution like this get shuttered due to poorly written NY laws. Here in Texas we could care less what they do much less what the federal govt does or says Smiley
Tripjammer

Activity: 394

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 04:16:54 AM

Just move the pool out of New York...move it to Texas or Washington or Oregon. NY is just one state, they cant set the laws for crypto for the whole world. Only the people in NY will be screwed.

WishFinanceAlternative lending platform for SMEs
      ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬      Oct, XX Crowdsale  |  Aim for +YY% bonus!      ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬       
[ WishFinance tread ]  ●  [ Whitepaper ]  ●  [ Telegram ]
Billbags

Activity: 280

Brainwashed this way

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 04:47:37 AM

He's already in another state. He's worried about other states including his following New York's actions. I think also New York could try to file on him for doing business with Miners from New York. He's seems to be a real good hearted guy and is worried about doing the right thing for people who mine on his pool and leave behind a good legacy of BTC Guild if he is forced to shut down.

Listen: meat beat manifesto ~ Edge of no control (pt.1)
Read:"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." ~ George Orwell
Think: http://unenumerated.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-dawn-of-trustworthy-computing.html
MoreBloodWine
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 06:03:26 AM

I'm kinda curious if the hash were losing has to do with all this NYC talk here.

9.3x PH as of this post.

To be decided...
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1622

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 06:06:22 AM

Oddly enough, the Eleuthria / Eleutheria connection is something I was completely unaware of until a few years ago when somebody asked me about it in #btcguild.  I don't think ckolivas was the first to ask, but it's possible.  The Eleuthria name was something I made up in high school.  I learned C & C++ programming basics by working on MUDs in middle school and high school.  Eleuthria was a name I came up with for one of the games.  For a swords & sorcery fantasy title, generally more vowels = better, and that's where "Eleuthria" came from.  Pronunciation being 'Eee-loo-three-uh' or 'El-oo-three-uh' (it's shifted over the years).

It wasn't my primary handle on the internet though, I'm not quite sure why I used it for Bitcoin.  Had I known I would end up making BTC Guild, I probably would've picked one that wasn't feminine!
Amazing how our handles all get about. Mine came from a bunch of drunken band members saying "fetus" over and over (no idea why) and when I had to pick a handle I misspelled it in all my genius and ended up with faetos. Oh well. Smiley
Perhaps that helps explain why I used my real name on these forums rather than my regular IRC handle of "conman"... look around, there's enough competition for the real use of that title on bitcointalk...

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 08:27:05 AM

Amazing how our handles all get about. Mine came from a bunch of drunken band members saying "fetus" over and over (no idea why) and when I had to pick a handle I misspelled it in all my genius and ended up with faetos. Oh well. Smiley
Perhaps that helps explain why I used my real name on these forums rather than my regular IRC handle of "conman"... look around, there's enough competition for the real use of that title on bitcointalk...

Pages: « 1 ... 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 [376] 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 »
  Print  

Jump to: