Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:26:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Encrypted Bitcoin Core Wallet(16.2) on Mac OSX, Password Recovery?  (Read 67 times)
kevvwo (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2018, 04:16:34 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2018, 07:37:19 AM by kevvwo

First things first, let's get this out of the way : I'm dumb.

Now here's the thing:

I have a Macbook Pro, High Sierra 10.13.6, Running a full node with the Bitcoin Core Wallet Client, with a small Bitcoin balance on it.
I set it up because I wanted to be able to validate my own transactions and generally just for the fun of it. So far so good.
I've been running this thing almost everyday all day for a year or so, and upon setting it up I encrypted the wallet.
But because I've mostly been using my mobile wallets for transactions I never tried to send any coins from the Bitcoin Core Wallet Client. Three days ago I tried and got promoted the password. Everything I could come up with failed. I guess I must've mistyped the password upon encrypting it, for I generally use similar variations of a certain Phrase.

Now, I have read through the Forum, in order to get some ideas of what I possibly could do, but most of the solutions are for older Clients and mostly in Windows speech, which I don't get.
I've been trying the last three days to squeeze my brain cells whilst also running several attempts with the bitcoinrecovery-master tool, but so far I've only achieved to feel dumber with every attempt.

I wouldn't mind loosing the few satoshis on the wallet if there's no way around it, but I would really like to regain access to the Client — and be able to send coins from it in the future.

So, if any of you have some ideas on how to brute force or disable passwords on encrypted wallets I would love your insights and comments.

Thanks for your time and energy in advance!
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kevvwo (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2018, 07:36:59 AM

Got it solved.
For anyone with similar problems:
Basically everything explained and neatly demonstrated here:
Installation: https://youtu.be/y2NdWNkBgCQ
Brute forcing: https://youtu.be/5wKGS7AY6B4

Pages: [1]
  Print