Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:48:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Never Invest in Haste Under Stress  (Read 1107 times)
dieanotherday (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 05:27:15 AM

I don't think I have ever felt like such a failure in my life.

A few weeks ago, a dead tree fell on my house in Florida after a large storm and the insurance company would not pay me claiming negligence on my part.

The repairs were going to be at least 15k-20k out of my own pocket.

My parents left me the house for me to go to college after they left the country.

I have been following BTC, but never really put any large sum of money into it.

When Mt Gox went down to $300, I put in $10k and exchanged to BTC (all the money that I had) into the exchange out of stress, anxiety, confusion, and bad judgement.

Now it's all gone, all the money i earned from my work as a lab tech in college. I don't know what to do. There is a tarp on my house which is split in half and I'm so close to graduating from college.

I knew it was a bad idea, but I felt like I had no choice for some reason. The insurance company pissed me off so much and my judgement became clouded.

Never invest when your judgement may be clouded guys.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
maaku
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 05:36:58 AM

Hang in there. In time things will come together. Stay safe.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
Coins4life

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:02:34 AM

Wait for it... Roll Eyes
Keyhunts

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:24:11 AM

I assume you talked with a lawyer and suing your insurance company was out of the question?
CoinMode

Activity: 417
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:40:36 AM

I assume you talked with a lawyer and suing your insurance company was out of the question?

I honestly don't think he is that smart.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:52:31 AM

Wait for it... Roll Eyes

He forgot to post his btc address....

Grin I guesss hes too dumb
maaku
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:13:47 AM

Come up with the reasons why it was not negligence and within policy, then threaten to go to the insurance commissioner if they don't come around. Follow through if necessary.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
coinnewbit

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:15:34 AM

Wait for it... Roll Eyes

Maybe, I don't know, he's not trying to scam anyone? Maybe this was a lesson he wanted to share with the BCT community?
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 10:16:18 AM

Failure is part of life. Poor responses to it tend to end in clusterfucks, as you've discovered. Your acknowledgement of failure, however, and the fact you're apparently able to take responsibility for it, is a pretty good indication that there's something more than failure ahead of you. This isn't actually the case for everyone.

Spend more time reading, allow yourself to think about the shit you usually wouldn't because it's uncomfortable, and don't pull triggers unless you're absolutely committed to the cause --not to what you'd like the effect to be.

Good luck to you.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 01:59:03 PM

i guess you wont get back your money. see it as a lesson. dont put money online. its still wild west.

bloods-n-cryptos

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:28:11 PM

If your story is true, you may qualify for free or reduced price legal services in Florida.
http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBConsum.nsf/48e76203493b82ad852567090070c9b9/a949d517a480a5a685256b2f006c5c77?OpenDocument

Alternatively, you may be able to find an attorney to work your case on a contingency basis, meaning you pay him a % if he settles in your favor and pay nothing if he does not. 

I'm not sure if you qualify for any of the above and you would need to speak to a licensed attorney to find out, but I would pursue it if you situation is as dire as you claim.

Any information provided in my posts is for educational purposes only and is not to be considered legal advice, but you already knew that.
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:05:43 PM

Everybody has a story to tell...

One day you'll be able to sit around a dinner table with your family and tell this story; your kids will be amazed and intrigued.

Just keep going, get another tarp. Talk to a local church or community charity organization, even a local radio station might be able/willing to point you in the right direction. See if you can get some volunteers to help you fix your roof. Make some friends in the process...

Life is crazy but it makes for a good dinner table conversation in the future.

$10,000 is less than most people have in credit card debt or an auto loan. I'm sure you can recover from this if you just write it off and try not to let it affect you emotionally.

The $15,000 - $20,000 for roof repair you might be able to find help with in the community. Plenty of businesses are looking for charitable contributions; roofing companies, hardware stores, and charity groups benefit from PR when they do this kind of stuff.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:13:18 PM

Wait for it... Roll Eyes

Maybe, I don't know, he's not trying to scam anyone? Maybe this was a lesson he wanted to share with the BCT community?

Yes with a username "dieanotherday"  Roll Eyes

Seriously are you guys new to the internet or what?
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 08:21:40 PM

A few weeks ago, a dead tree fell on my house in Florida after a large storm and the insurance company would not pay me claiming negligence on my part.
The repairs were going to be at least 15k-20k out of my own pocket.
My parents left me the house for me to go to college after they left the country.
I have been following BTC, but never really put any large sum of money into it.
When Mt Gox went down to $300, I put in $10k and exchanged to BTC (all the money that I had) into the exchange out of stress, anxiety, confusion, and bad judgement.
Now it's all gone, all the money i earned from my work as a lab tech in college. I don't know what to do. There is a tarp on my house which is split in half and I'm so close to graduating from college.
I knew it was a bad idea, but I felt like I had no choice for some reason. The insurance company pissed me off so much and my judgement became clouded.
Never invest when your judgement may be clouded guys.

yeah man. Head up and things will get better soon Smiley

Lesson learned. Remember it in the future.

Kind regards and best wishes!
dieanotherday (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 01:02:00 AM

I currently have an attorney working on the case, but it's going to be one slow process.

Sigh...

Damn tree almost killed me too.
Warren

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 05:07:05 AM

Thanks for sharing.

You are giving good advice and I hope people listen to you.

I would add to your advice never to invest more than you are prepared to take a 100% loss on when it comes to Crypto currencies. There are just too many risks.

Invest a percentage of your overall wealth that you are comfortable with in crypto currencies, depending on your risk appetite, but never ever invest money you can't afford to lose.

I wish you the best of luck and remember that even if things look bleak now, even to the point that you lose your house, as long as you have your health you can always make more money. There is plenty to go around for all of us! Smiley
coinnewbit

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:31:59 AM

Wait for it... Roll Eyes

Yes with a username "dieanotherday"  Roll Eyes

Seriously are you guys new to the internet or what?

Yeah i'm new. Tongue
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 02:17:55 PM

I currently have an attorney working on the case, but it's going to be one slow process.

Sigh...

Damn tree almost killed me too.

Hard knox life isn't? Smiley

I know something about it, and I really wish you all best man.

Regards.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: