Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:42:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] GridSeed GC3355 5 Chip Setup/power/windows/linux/rpi by UnicornHasher  (Read 365529 times)
vabchgent

Activity: 840
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 06:25:46 PM

wolfey2014, just a question here.
It seems from other comments like you need to have 1 cpuminer process for each miner, or am I mis-reading things? Can you run all 20 miners from one cpuminer process?
I kinda like the cgminer in that the screenshots I have seen show it hosting multiple miners per session, and there's no extra work involved. It seems like it should work out of the box (for the modified version anyhow)...
Im already use to cgminer from my GPU rigs, and the ability to use cgwatcher/cgremote is desirable.

Just looking for thoughts on the pros/cons of which software to use...

Yeah. I'm only running 6 right now. Wish I had a lot more though.
And at some point, I'll probably go with a different program like bfdminer.
When you're running 20 or more of these things, I am sure having one instance / window per miner becomes a bit of a pain in the arss!

I just like cpuminer because it sets up quick and it's easy to understand and apply for newbs where others require a steeper learning curve and time, plus all the other debugging issues I find rather inconvenient if not unnecessary.

Just my .0025btc worth! Wink
Wolfey2014

Wolfey for noobs you are absolutely correct cpuminer all the way. For people with 10 or more cgminer or bfgminer. None of them are perfect yet thats for sure. Wish someone would build one that could dual mine with no extra added grief.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███     

██████████

██████     

███████████

███████████████     

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pjcltd
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1003

NodeMasters

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 06:28:10 PM

HI
I have 18 gridseed miners
connected to a ras-pi running cgminer
it works very well

I did have it setup on a Windows PC running cpu miner
witch also worked very well but it was a total pain in the ass to change the pool information

that's why I moved across to a Ras-pi
Axion_Zen

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 06:30:03 PM

Can anyone tell me the command for LTC mode only in the 'GridMiner' controller
wolfey2014

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 06:31:54 PM

wolfey2014, just a question here.
It seems from other comments like you need to have 1 cpuminer process for each miner, or am I mis-reading things? Can you run all 20 miners from one cpuminer process?
I kinda like the cgminer in that the screenshots I have seen show it hosting multiple miners per session, and there's no extra work involved. It seems like it should work out of the box (for the modified version anyhow)...
Im already use to cgminer from my GPU rigs, and the ability to use cgwatcher/cgremote is desirable.

Just looking for thoughts on the pros/cons of which software to use...

Yeah. I'm only running 6 right now. Wish I had a lot more though.
And at some point, I'll probably go with a different program like bfdminer.
When you're running 20 or more of these things, I am sure having one instance / window per miner becomes a bit of a pain in the arss!

I just like cpuminer because it sets up quick and it's easy to understand and apply for newbs where others require a steeper learning curve and time, plus all the other debugging issues I find rather inconvenient if not unnecessary.

Just my .0025btc worth! Wink
Wolfey2014

Wolfey for noobs you are absolutely correct cpuminer all the way. For people with 10 or more cgminer or bfgminer. None of them are perfect yet thats for sure. Wish someone would build one that could dual mine with no extra added grief.

Here here! If I had the financial backing, I'd figure out something like that, myself.
Evidently, GridSeed's HASHRA.com outlet has just what the doctor ordered.
But I do not know when they plan to release it.
One would think those guys would be the ultimate experts / authorities on the matter but, look at us all.....

Still, we all persevere. After all, these things are for generating income and growing a new world wide market and industry.

Crypto currency is here to stay. POWER TO THE MINERS!!!!! Wink

Wolfey2014

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 06:44:57 PM

That's just a pitch to the unwary to sucker them into using cgminer. IMO, cgminer and bfdminer are still too much of a pain in the ars to use because they are line code intensive and you have to learn coding [...]

What?  Roll Eyes

Are you on drugs mate? Or maybe off drugs?

I mean if you prefer to run 40 cpuminer windows that's fine with me, just don't make it sound like your way is the only way.

What kind of drugs do you have, man?

I did qualify my statement as In My Opinion 'IMO'....

Knee 'jerk' reaction there? Matey?

w

Maybe you should instead qualify that statement as "I have no idea what I'm talking about". Where did you get this: "line code intensive and you have to learn coding"? What does it even mean - "line code intensive"? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you could slow down on pitching cpuminer on unrelated posts and making bogus arguments like that. Feel free to highlight cpuminer advantages without making shit up.
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 07:01:53 PM

That's just a pitch to the unwary to sucker them into using cgminer. IMO, cgminer and bfdminer are still too much of a pain in the ars to use because they are line code intensive and you have to learn coding [...]

What?  Roll Eyes

I mean if you prefer to run 40 cpuminer windows that's fine with me, just don't make it sound like your way is the only way.

w

Maybe you should instead qualify that statement as "I have no idea what I'm talking about". Where did you get this: "line code intensive and you have to learn coding"? What does it even mean - "line code intensive"? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you could slow down on pitching cpuminer on unrelated posts and making bogus arguments like that. Feel free to highlight cpuminer advantages without making shit up.

No offense, but don't start shit where there ain't no shit to be thrown. It will only pile up on 'you'.
My opinions are backed up by fact, not fiction. READ!

LATER!
W2014

Flep182
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 07:35:30 PM

What?  Roll Eyes

w

No offense, but don't start shit where there ain't no shit to be thrown. It will only pile up on 'you'.

LATER!
W2014

Wolfey2014, it would be appreciated when you'd stop with always finishing a post with your name. Common forum stuff, your name is already on the left and you might notice that almost nobody does it besides you Smiley

Further it might be good to sometimes refrain from commenting when it's not 100% on topic. I do see your enthusiasm which is very good but like it has been mentioned before (probably also in other threads), when somebody asks about a problem with software A, there is no need to promote your software B (or point out that what you are using works). Even though it's better/cooler/hipper/cheaper/more effective/etc, that's not what the question is about. I've seen (so far) two annoyed responses on those "plugs" on cpuminer in the several threads I'm following and you don't really seem too happy with those remarks so far. To make a slight understatement Wink

As a complete linuxnoob, I've installed 2 raspberries, put the suggested software on them and made 32 GSD's run for 72 hours already without a single hiccup or miner reconnecting/disconnecting. I'm -this- close to putting my version back into an image to share with everyone because it works so damn well Smiley
So cgminer (if you're into scrypt only) is a very decent piece of work, but just one of the flavors, just as your favo software works perfectly well Wink

On the other hand, you're doing very good with your research on stuff, so keep that up, I've very happily used some advice from your posts already.

Oh, and starting a response with "no offense" but then clearly showing in your writing that you took offense is, ehm, well, an incorrect use of the term Wink
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 07:40:11 PM

What?  Roll Eyes

w

LATER!
W2014

Wolfey2014, it would be appreciated when you'd stop with always finishing a post with your name. Common forum stuff, your name is already on the left and you might notice that almost nobody does it besides you Smiley

Further it might be good to sometimes refrain from commenting when it's not 100% on topic. I do see your enthusiasm which is very good but like it has been mentioned before (probably also in other threads), when somebody asks about a problem with software A, there is no need to promote your software B (or point out that what you are using works). Even though it's better/cooler/hipper/cheaper/more effective/etc, that's not what the question is about. I've seen (so far) two annoyed responses on those "plugs" on cpuminer in the several threads I'm following and you don't really seem too happy with those remarks so far. To make a slight understatement Wink

As a complete linuxnoob, I've installed 2 raspberries, put the suggested software on them and made 32 GSD's run for 72 hours already without a single hiccup or miner reconnecting/disconnecting. I'm -this- close to putting my version back into an image to share with everyone because it works so damn well Smiley
So cgminer (if you're into scrypt only) is a very decent piece of work, but just one of the flavors, just as your favo software works perfectly well Wink

On the other hand, you're doing very good with your research on stuff, so keep that up, I've very happily used some advice from your posts already.

Oh, and starting a response with "no offense" but then clearly showing in your writing that you took offense is, ehm, well, an incorrect use of the term Wink

Whwhwhwhat?
Wolfey2014

miaviator (OP)
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 07:50:10 PM

Finally got my 12v stepdown to run the Controller/Raspi off the 12v supply.  (Testing on the controller since it's trash, I'll move it to the raspi after 24 hours)

richmke

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 08:07:46 PM

I forgot - what were you'all using - 18 awg for power on these guys?
The watts for the Gridseed 5 is:

8 watts (0.67 amps @ 12 volts) for LTC only
52 watts (4.33 amps) for BTC only
60 watts (5.00 amps) for combined BTC/LTC

Based upon this chart
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

The recommended gauge wire is:

23 gauge for 0.729 amps (0.67 required for LTC only)
15 gauge for 4.7 amps (4.33 required for BTC only)
14 gauge for 5.9 amps (5.00 required for combined BTC/LTC).

Given that the gauges are conservative, you can probably get by with 24 gauge (.577 amps) for LTC only mode, and 15 gauge for combined mining.

Note: If you use 23 gauge wire, and inadvertently invoke BTC mode, you risk melting the wire. 18 gauge would survive a short period of time, and may even work for a while. But, I wouldn't plan on BTC mode with 18 gauge.
poopypants

Activity: 134

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 08:35:23 PM

Just thought I'd share my genius idea for today's project.  I tried to update the MCU on my red beta gridseed unit, thought a simple unsoldering then soldering job would be easy enough for me to tackle... mind you I have never soldered any electronics in my life.  I wanted to stabilize the dual mining and saw a thread on cybtc showing the steps to update the MCU.  Well when I unsoldered the chip I pulled off a couple contact pads with it, completely hatched the soldering of the new chip and in the process fucked up the board.  Well that little adventure did not turn out so well and now I am laughing and pissed at the same time at myself for pissing away 200 so bucks on the unit.  Ah some days you win, some days you lose, and sometimes you decide that your up to the small tinkering task and instead break things.  Looks like the other 9 are staying the way they are.  Anyone interested in the actual chips for some reason let me know.

Hi,
can you provide the link to the article or instructions you mentioned you found at cybtc thread?
I'd like to see what it says to do.
I can't believe anyone is suggesting de-soldering and re-soldering an ASIC chip on the GS5 card.
Just doesn't make sense and it's next to impossible to work with those tiny chips as it is.
They were manufactured using sophisticated processes. Not point to point soldering.

Thanks
Wolfey2014

It wasn't for the asic chip it was for the MCU on the board.  http://www.cybtc.com/thread-6262-1-3.html The beta red colored units have GD32F103C8T6 chip, which was changed to STM32F103C8T6 chip for the gold units.  The older chip was causing the red ones to crash alot when dual mining, and subsequently would need a relay to power off and on the boards every so often.  Curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to see if I could change out the chip like the thread above explains how to do.  I just got back from radio shack and now I have to correct equipment to try to fix what I screwed up yesterday.  Hopefully I am up to the task, and if not at least I will learn from my mistakes and have a better understanding and appreciation for the ones who are able to service small chips on circuit boards.  I like tinkering with things, I just made the mistake of learning on an expensive board when I should have tinkered with a cheap circuit board laying around the house.  Any how if I fail someone can take the chips off my hand if it helps them in any way, but I think that I will be able to fix my mistake.  The plan is to find where the leads go from the contact pads that I ripped off when removing the old MCU and just wire them directly.  Will see if my plan works. 

Einsteinium: http://einsteinium.org/    Helping advance Science

SilkCoin: BCZFuLUX2XfGF4W5cRK3efcg6U5Pv1tuaj
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 08:44:13 PM

I forgot - what were you'all using - 18 awg for power on these guys?
The watts for the Gridseed 5 is:

8 watts (0.67 amps @ 12 volts) for LTC only
52 watts (4.33 amps) for BTC only
60 watts (5.00 amps) for combined BTC/LTC

Based upon this chart
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

The recommended gauge wire is:

23 gauge for 0.729 amps (0.67 required for LTC only)
15 gauge for 4.7 amps (4.33 required for BTC only)
14 gauge for 5.9 amps (5.00 required for combined BTC/LTC).

Given that the gauges are conservative, you can probably get by with 24 gauge (.577 amps) for LTC only mode, and 15 gauge for combined mining.

Note: If you use 23 gauge wire, and inadvertently invoke BTC mode, you risk melting the wire. 18 gauge would survive a short period of time, and may even work for a while. But, I wouldn't plan on BTC mode with 18 gauge.

That chart is extremely conservative to put it mildly. PCI-Express power connectors are pushing up to 6A per 18-gauge wire and don't seem to get warm let alone melt. These are bundled, often sleeved wires in enclosed cases next to 300-400W fire-breathing graphics cards. Not sure what kind of environment justifies 2.3A for 18-gauge. Maybe for transmission over long distances, not for a couple of feet.
Yottabyte

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 08:48:38 PM

Have a new problem now, my gridseeds were working in cpuminer, now they arent working with any software and are not showing up as COM ports in device manager anymore, they are showing up as "STM32 Virtual COM Port"......
vabchgent

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 09:15:19 PM

Have a new problem now, my gridseeds were working in cpuminer, now they arent working with any software and are not showing up as COM ports in device manager anymore, they are showing up as "STM32 Virtual COM Port"......

Did you try to install cgminer and the zadig drivers. Are the st devices showing up under com ports in the devices tree or somewhere else. If there somewhere else re-install the St drivers. should make them com port compatible again. The idea is to remove zadiag drivers and replace them with the st drivers again.   

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███     

██████████

██████     

███████████

███████████████     

███████████████████

jamieb81

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 09:29:34 PM

Hey all,

This is my first post here. This thread (and a few others) have been really helpful to me getting 24 gridseeds running on windows 8.1. I wanted to say thanks to all contributing. I have also been searching for a decent #gridseed irc. Not much luck so far, the rooms are small, quiet and/or specific to a store that sells gridseeds. So we started #gridseedmining on freenode.net to share info, specs, builds, tips tricks and workarounds. We'll see if it picks up any popularity.

Anyways, thanks again. Hope to see you all in the channel. #gridseedmining FTW!

Im still looking for a way to get Windows to see these devices. I downloaded the recomended cpuminer from page 1, but the devices don't show up in the device manager under windows. Are there any tricks to getting Windows to recognize these as USB devices?

I went with cgminer 3.7.2 for gridseed listed here:
http://cryptomining-blog.com/1262-download-cgminer-3-7-2-for-windows-scrypt-mining-on-gridseed-5-chip-gc3355-asics/

and followed the instructions to replace the drivers. There are some quirks, though, as others have mentioned. You have to plug in or enable the miners AFTER you start cgminer, and occasionally the quit returning shares and you have to start the miner over. I'm going to try bfgminer too.

maybe use bfgminer instead? does not need the replacement of any driver

http://cryptomining-blog.com/1396-download-bfgminer-3-10-0-for-windows-scrypt-mining-on-gridseed-5-chip-asics/
Yottabyte

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 10:52:22 PM

Did you try to install cgminer and the zadig drivers. Are the st devices showing up under com ports in the devices tree or somewhere else. If there somewhere else re-install the St drivers. should make them com port compatible again. The idea is to remove zadiag drivers and replace them with the st drivers again.   

Yes I tried to install the Zadig drivers and I think that is where things got wierd... How do I go about installing the ST drivers again?
Yottabyte

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 11:00:24 PM

I may have figured it out... uninstalling driver and choosing to delete driver software worked for one... now for the other 9...  Tongue Thank you
jamieb81

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 11:00:28 PM

So I'm really planning to go Gridseed, but want a to be certain to make the good move

on alot of other forums/chats they dont seem so hot about the Gridseed's saying that they are too expensive

and that a GPU will be better because it can be sold again etc etc etc..

But what I like the most is the low watt usage as kw/h here in spain is so high! I cannot see myself using a 1000w rig

I do have to reckon that our gridseeds will be more difficult to sell especially when difficulty rises, and if maybe a new gridseed comes out.

what is you guys realistic opinion?
vabchgent

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 11:03:44 PM

I may have figured it out... uninstalling driver and choosing to delete driver software worked for one... now for the other 9...  Tongue Thank you
[/quote

Yep your welcome
If you need the st drivers they are here

dekar.wc3edit.net/st%20website/VCP_Setup.zip

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███     

██████████

██████     

███████████

███████████████     

███████████████████

suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 11:24:15 PM

So I'm really planning to go Gridseed, but want a to be certain to make the good move

on alot of other forums/chats they dont seem so hot about the Gridseed's saying that they are too expensive

and that a GPU will be better because it can be sold again etc etc etc..

But what I like the most is the low watt usage as kw/h here in spain is so high! I cannot see myself using a 1000w rig

I do have to reckon that our gridseeds will be more difficult to sell especially when difficulty rises, and if maybe a new gridseed comes out.

what is you guys realistic opinion?

I think you need to decide whether you're in (mining) or not. If you try to wait for the next better ASIC you might be waiting forever, as there is always going to be something better in the near future. If you just buy the current Gridseed and try to hold it forever, you might lose money. You need to either commit to the race and keep upgrading when something new and better comes out, or take a different approach, maybe invest in coins instead of mining them, or maybe rent hosted mining equipment. In any case you need to calculate your own ROI, based on your costs, your risk tolerance, your potential capacity etc.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  

Jump to: