Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:09:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What would happen if someone owned all the Bitcoins?  (Read 1087 times)
OneEyedJack (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:10:09 PM

What if some time in the future, one person winds up with all the mined bitcoins?
What then? Would Alt currencies be used?

What are your thoughts?

All donations are given to the Universal DBDB Organization
EAC: egokwQAmnNvumsQfMokeV2qKRgJdARY4D4
GRA: 9ECPZJBtbMHyfGikdUzQuf9Z8t6gGbWh5s
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
exlin

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:19:20 PM

Getting all bitcoins would end up being super expensive, don't think it is realistic possibility. But if that would happend, we would most likely move on to another cryptocurrency.
Gulinborsti

Activity: 286
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:16:28 PM

What if some time in the future, one person winds up with all the mined bitcoins?

What are your thoughts?
What happens when you own all the money in Monopoly? Game over!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:20:01 PM

What are your thoughts?
What happens when you own all the money in Monopoly? Game over!

lol, I think that's right. Why would anyone want bitcoin if one person owned it all? That "omni-whale" would have spent billions to acquire something that now has no value or users.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Perseus353

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:42:35 PM

Bitcoin's value derives from supply and demand -- and demand is a function of distribution and utility. If someone had them all they would be worth nothing.

If you want to find this out for yourself -- just launch and new coin and hold all the bajillion twatcoins yourself. How much will they be worth?

1CkV1H1CA67CjpG5QMxEgVU9tNto51DBHd
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:28:19 AM

Will never happen

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 10:04:03 AM

I don't think any sane person would want to own all the bitcoins in existence. If someone tries to accomplish that, the decreasing supply of bitcoins will drive prices up. Eventually, it gets too expensive to buy and use bitcoins, people will find alternatives, another crypto or another payment system.
BitOnyx

Activity: 112

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 01:36:04 PM

If one person would own all bitcoins they might become worthless. It is possible since amount of bitcoins is not infinite but they would lose its decentralization and actual price tag on it would be confusing.

ps. monopoly you win when everyone else is going bankrupt, you can own all money but other might own all hotels and charge you for it Wink

lemier

Activity: 68

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 06:32:46 PM

yes as it was already written it would be the end of Bitcoin! It will loose it's function - it will loose its liquidity
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 06:38:57 PM

yes as it was already written it would be the end of Bitcoin! It will loose it's function - it will loose its liquidity
True, but I'm not worried. The real reason why no one can own all the coins is me. Like a lot of you I would demand quite a price to be bought out completely. My coins are worth $12,000 per coin. Take it or leave it.  Tongue

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 10:03:11 PM

True, but I'm not worried. The real reason why no one can own all the coins is me. Like a lot of you I would demand quite a price to be bought out completely. My coins are worth $12,000 per coin. Take it or leave it.  Tongue

Some people will never sell their bitcoins so cheap  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: